PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Police...woman?

AHeneen
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
This is a few months old, but something I never would have imagined. I'm especially intrigued by the woman out the back window of a Mercedes holding the AK-47 (at the end of the video)...

Iranian policewomen: rethinking values

26 October, 2008, 02:01
From Russia Today... (http://www.russiatoday.com/Art_and_Fun/2008-10-26/Iranian_policewomen_rethinking_values.html)

Women's rights in Iran have long been a cause for international concern. However, despite restrictions laid down by Sharia law, there have been some changes. For nearly five years now, Iranian women have been allowed to become fully-fledged police officers.

A female police officer may still be an unfamiliar sight to any eye, but this is part of modern Iran. Since 2003 the Islamic republic has allowed women to become police officers. They pass theory and practical exams and are taught to handle weapons.

"I joined a course specially designed for women that qualifies you to join the police. It all happened by chance. I also found that nothing stops women from working in this field. The most important thing is self-confidence," says a female military college student.

The Iranian government attributes the phenomenon to necessity: more and more crimes are being committed by women and Islamic law would not, for example, allow women to be searched by male officers

But can Muslim women enforce criminal law, while still following the laws of their religion?

"The issue of the veil is very important in this work. How are women supposed to deal with this; how can they chase burglars? Iran is an Islamic state; what about the family and the kids? Such work requires a person to be totally free," an Iranian woman said.

Although Iranian policewomen are responsible for upholding the Sharia law that restrains them, they are also taking baby steps for change.

"Many boundaries have been removed between men and women nowadays. They are working together. I donít judge the matter. Every job has its advantages and disadvantages. Yet, in the end, a woman has her duties towards her home and family," says one Iranian citizen.

This is a new generation of Iranian women caught between domestic and public responsibilities. They may be a sign of new female strength, but they are also a carefully choreographed snapshot of an exemplary Islamic state.

noonwitch
03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Iranian women are slowly getting more rights, from what I've heard. A taste of freedom will possibly encourge them to get more and more.

The Iranian people are good people who have been kept down by their government for almost 30 years, more if you count the Shah's regime. There needs to be a way to encourage them to get rid of their current government and get a democracy going. A way that hopefully doesn't involve invading or bombing them, although, as always, I have no problem with Israel taking out their nuclear sites with air raids. They are good at that sort of thing, and they have the most to lose if Iran does develop nukes.