PDA

View Full Version : Study finds Arctic seabed afire with lava-spewing (and "huge volumes of CO2")

megimoo
06-26-2008, 07:45 PM
The Arctic seabed is as explosive geologically as it is politically judging by the "fountains" of gas and molten lava that have been blasting out of underwater volcanoes near the North Pole.

"Explosive volatile discharge has clearly been a widespread, and ongoing, process," according to an international team that sent unmanned probes to the strange fiery world beneath the Arctic ice.

They returned with images and data showing that red-hot magma has been rising from deep inside the earth and blown the tops off dozens of submarine volcanoes, four kilometres below the ice. "Jets or fountains of material were probably blasted one, maybe even two, kilometres up into the water," says geophysicist Robert Sohn of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, who led the expedition.

Chunks of broken sea floor rock, or "talus ejecta" and large-grain pyroclastic deposits cover an outer slope of the Oden volcano on the seabed floor near the North Pole.

He and his colleagues, who describe the underwater scene in the journal Nature today, estimate that exploding mixtures of lava and gas flew out of the volcanoes at speeds of more than 500 metres a second. When the material hit the frigid seawater, Sohn says it would have formed huge clouds that rained volcanic material down on the sea floor, creating the carpet of glassy shards and bits that can be seen for kilometres.

The team explored the volcanoes last summer as the Russians were planting a flag on the nearby sea floor triggering an international flap over ownership of the seabed.

Sohn said in an interview Wednesday that his crew of 30 researchers from the U.S., Europe and Japan chuckled over the "grandstanding" as the Russians rumbled by in their icebreakers. But they stayed focused on the intriguing spot on the Gakkel Ridge they had come to explore. The 1,800-kilometre-long ridge, which cuts across the Arctic from Greenland to Siberia, is in international waters. It is one of the planet's "spreading" ridges where molten rock rises up from inside the earth creating new crust.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=81bb2fd3-63f1-476f-b0be-f48c0dc90304

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 07:58 PM
It's great how there is no possible way tons of boiling lava could affect sea temperatures but a simple asphalt parking lot in your local mini-mall is ushering in Global Warming on planet-destroying scale. :rolleyes:

Apocalypse
06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Well this all has to be our fault some how.... I know, its all because I left the light on in the other room.

lacarnut
06-26-2008, 11:46 PM
While we are fiddle f'ing around, the Russians are going claim the North Pole as their territorial rights for drilling oil.

jinxmchue
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
While we are fiddle f'ing around, the Russians are going claim the North Pole as their territorial rights for drilling oil.

I doubt it, but is there even any oil around active volcanic regions?

LogansPapa
06-27-2008, 06:23 PM

Don’t try to tell that to the folks on Sumatra and Kalimantan.;)

megimoo
06-27-2008, 07:56 PM
It's great how there is no possible way tons of boiling lava could affect sea temperatures but a simple asphalt parking lot in your local mini-mall is ushering in Global Warming on planet-destroying scale. :rolleyes:LibThink will get you every time ,next the Polar Bears will be wearing sunglasses !

MrsSmith
06-27-2008, 08:04 PM
It's great how there is no possible way tons of boiling lava could affect sea temperatures but a simple asphalt parking lot in your local mini-mall is ushering in Global Warming on planet-destroying scale. :rolleyes:

It makes exactly as much sense as banning beach fires to help prevent global warming...while a thousand wildfires burn in California alone. :rolleyes:

LogansPapa
06-28-2008, 11:47 PM
Yes, adding to the problem always helps.:rolleyes:

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 01:39 PM
Yes, adding to the problem always helps.:rolleyes:

Forest fire...thousands of acres of trees and underbrush burned...

Beach fire...1/16th of one tree burned...

BAN THE BEACH FIRES!!!!!!1!!!1!!!11!11 They're gonna kill us ALL!!!!!1!!1!!!!!111!1one

:rolleyes:

But whatever you do, don't allow those evil loggers to cut back the old-growth trees! That is the wrong way to reduce forest fires!! :rolleyes:

LogansPapa
06-29-2008, 01:45 PM
And 800,000,000 motor vehicles in the world by 2020 will certainly help the situation.:rolleyes:

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 01:47 PM
And 800,000,000 motor vehicles in the world by 2020 will certainly help the situation.:rolleyes:

Everyone should switch back to horses. :rolleyes:

LogansPapa
06-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Everyone should switch back to horses. :rolleyes:

Idiotic. Everyone needs to drive a vehicle with 400 bhp that gets 12 mpg? See, I can do it too.:rolleyes:

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Idiotic. Everyone needs to drive a vehicle with 400 bhp that gets 12 mpg? See, I can do it too.:rolleyes:

Maybe the real answer is to off as many unborn children as we can. If we can just get rid of all these people, the world will be a happier place for everyone. :rolleyes:

Shannon
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
There's an eyeroll competition going on and I wasn't invited?:rolleyes:

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 06:20 PM
There's an eyeroll competition going on and I wasn't invited?:rolleyes:

Consider yourself invited. :rolleyes:

:D

Troll
06-29-2008, 07:38 PM

I personally don't believe in manmade global warming, but I do believe in air pollution. I would argue that by 2020, most new cars are going to be several times more fuel efficient than their 20th century counterparts - and with any luck, running on hydrogen fuel cells or seawater. I think even if you do believe in global warming, you can be encouraged at the gradual decline of the SUV and the advent of cars like the Prius.

Goldwater
06-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Oh yeah?

:rolleyes:

MrsSmith
06-29-2008, 08:36 PM
I personally don't believe in manmade global warming, but I do believe in air pollution. I would argue that by 2020, most new cars are going to be several times more fuel efficient than their 20th century counterparts - and with any luck, running on hydrogen fuel cells or seawater. I think even if you do believe in global warming, you can be encouraged at the gradual decline of the SUV and the advent of cars like the Prius.

I would also love to see this...though our government will have to find new ways to extract billions of tax dollars from us when we stop using petroleum. We're already moving in that direction, which is great. What isn't great is that the government and our greenies really believe that bankrupting a bunch of us will help this process! We have the oil, drill and pump until the alternate technology is available!

I think it's sick that the media is gloating over a 2% drop in gas use by Americans. What exactly does that mean? Some parents can't afford the expense to go to work every day, so they're going on welfare? Truck drivers spend 8 hours at home instead of 48? Families that would normally get together over the holiday weekend are forced to stay home and miss out on seeing each other for a few days on one of the 3 or 4 times a year they can arrange it? This is something good?? :mad:

We pollute much less than we did in the past, and continuing this trend is great. Doing it by penalizing everyday Americans is a liberal fantasy.

Goldwater
06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
America is already starting to use smaller cars like Europe because of gas pricing.

OMG THE MARKET IS DEALING WITH GLOBAL WARMING, THE MARKET IS GOD.

SarasotaRepub
06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Please build a HUMMER that runs on Hydrogen!

What would that be...a HH3??? :p:D

Goldwater
06-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Please build a HUMMER that runs on Hydrogen!

What would that be...a HH3??? :p:D

Ask and pray to the market my friend.

LogansPapa
06-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Considering the fact that the vast majority of the new vehicles produced between now and 2020 will be for usage in the 3rd world and be driven by 2-cycle or diesel engines, I seriously doubt that the environment is going to benefit from their numbers. What about oxygen use? Are we, as a race, adding to the acres of rain forests? Is China and India magically not polluting the oceans with their new manufacturing basis? If the oceans go stagnate what will produce the air we need to breath? Do we really have no effect on the planet's environment, as the PhD. Rush Limbaugh would have us believe?

megimoo
06-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Thats an interesting question.If magma comes in contact with an underground pool of oil it would explode and depending on the depth,create a huge undergorund dome that would fill with more magma.

LogansPapa
06-29-2008, 09:43 PM
It might be possible: Sumatra

The longest axis of the island runs approximately 1,790 km (1,100 miles) northwest - southeast, crossing the equator near the center. At its widest point the island spans 435 km (270 miles). The interior of the island is dominated by two geographical regions: the Barisan Mountains in the west and swampy plains in the east.

To the southeast is Java, separated by the Sunda Strait. To the north is the Malay Peninsula, separated by the Straits of Malacca. To the east is Borneo, across the Karimata Strait. West of the island is the Indian Ocean.

The backbone of the island is the Barisan mountains chain, with the active volcano Mount Kerinci's 3,805 m (12,467 ft) the highest point, located at about the midpoint of the range. The volcanic activity of this region endowed the region with fertile land and beautiful sceneries, for instance around the Lake Toba. It also contains deposits of coal and gold.

To the east, big rivers carry silt from the mountain, forming the vast lowland interspersed by swamps. Even if mostly unsuitable for farming, the area is currently of great economic importance for Indonesia. It produces oil from both above and below the soil—palm oil and petroleum.

Most of Sumatra used to be covered by tropical rainforest, but economic development coupled with corruption and illegal logging has severely threatened its existence. Conservation areas have not been spared from destruction, either.

The island is the world's 5th highest island, although only the third highest in the Indonesian archipelago.

See also: Islands of Indonesia and Riau islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra#Administration