PDA

View Full Version : Bicyclist going 45 mph hits bear in Boulder County

megimoo
06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
BOULDER A cyclist in Boulder County was injured after a run-in, literally, with a bear.

Tim Egan, 53, was riding on Old Stage Road Tuesday afternoon when suddenly a bear appeared in front of him. Egan hit the bear and ended up skidding across the road. "This bear looked at me with a look of terror on his face and sort of made a noise," said Egan. "I looked at him with a look of terror and we went, 'aaaahhhhh.'"
He cracked some ribs, suffered cuts on his head and had road rash. Egan said he and the bike flipped and flew over the bear, hitting the pavement hard.

The bear ran away after the accident when a deer appeared.

Egan's nephew ran to help the injured cyclist.

"When I tell people, they say 'Right, are you kidding me, who hits a bear?'"

Egan estimated he was going about 45 miles per hour at impact. He said the bear was about 6 feet tall and probably weighed 500 pounds.

His bike was OK so he got back on it and pedaled to the hospital

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/bicyclist-going-45-mph-hits-bear-boulder-county/

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 08:25 PM
This is only news because of the bear angle. Crazy cyclists hit deer and elk just the way drivers do. We have way too many of these animals out here.

Shannon
06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
This is only news because of the bear angle. Crazy cyclists hit deer and elk just the way drivers do. We have way too many of these animals out here.

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Remember, I'm not an "out door" girl. These animals just leap into the road? The cyclists have no warning?:confused:

Odysseus
06-26-2008, 08:30 PM

"Yogi... Mr. Ranger's not going to like you knocking that guy off of his bicycle..." :D

CLibertarian
06-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Deer and elk are delicious. I have never eaten bear meat.:D

Gingersnap
06-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Remember, I'm not an "out door" girl. These animals just leap into the road? The cyclists have no warning?:confused:

Yes, they leap into the road. It's not like they patiently wait at cross-walks or anything. I almost killed myself last year avoiding a Mulie that spontaneously leaped into my lane. It was a good thing there was no traffic because I hit the brakes and did a 180.:eek:

Bubba Dawg
06-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Yes, deer and bears and other animals dash, leap, run, etc. into the road.

Also, the faster you are going on a bike the harder it is to change direction quickly enough to miss such an animal. I almos thit two deer (at once cuz they were together) near New Bern NC. I was only going about twenty but no way could I have dodged them or stopped. It was close enough I could smell them.

They just ran off.

I also spotted a black bear on a gravel road in time to stop about forty feet away, but he had just gone out in the road and stopped.

I also almost hit this yankee woman on a trail once. She tawked like Rocky Balboa.

Shannon
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
I also almost hit this yankee woman on a trail once. She tawked like Rocky Balboa.

You couldn't have just done us all a favor and hit her? It's not like anybody would really miss Philly.

Bubba Dawg
06-26-2008, 09:26 PM
You couldn't have just done us all a favor and hit her? It's not like anybody would really miss Philly.

And wreck my bike!!!!!....you know she's not only a yankee but she's a lawyer too.

Hindsight is 20-20.

And she's quicker than you might think, I mean, for someone her age.

Cigarettes just went flyin'.....

Vepr
06-26-2008, 10:18 PM
That would be a great "Oh yeah well I..." story. After a few beers you could tell how you saw a 1200 pound grizzly attacking a group of preschoolers so you rammed it with your Harley saving the day. :D

Goldwater
06-26-2008, 10:52 PM

What? You think they look both ways?

Vepr
06-26-2008, 11:03 PM
What? You think they look both ways?

Well in terms of that particular bear it probably will from now on. :D

YupItsMe
06-27-2008, 01:35 PM

I know how you feel I don't like cyclists either. ;) It should be against the law for anyone other than an 18-21 yr. old girl to wear spandex.

CLibertarian
06-27-2008, 03:33 PM
I know how you feel I don't like cyclists either. ;) It should be against the law for anyone other than an 18-21 yr. old girl to wear spandex.

In my mountain biking days, I wore the lycra shorts because, they had padding and wicked the sweat away. However, Since I thought that it should be a violation of some local decency ordinance to do so:D, I wore some loose shorts over them.

Odysseus
06-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Oh, I don't know. There are a lot of hot women who are older than the 18-21 demographic. But people must remember that spandex is a privilege, not a right, and as such, must be exercised only by those who exercise the parts that are covered by it.

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 06:53 PM

As a member of the ASLU (American Spandex Liberation Union) I resemble that remark.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 07:15 PM
As a member of the ASLU (American Spandex Liberation Union) I resemble that remark.

You resemble many things.:rolleyes:

megimoo
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes, deer and bears and other animals dash, leap, run, etc. into the road.

Also, the faster you are going on a bike the harder it is to change direction quickly enough to miss such an animal. I almos thit two deer (at once cuz they were together) near New Bern NC. I was only going about twenty but no way could I have dodged them or stopped. It was close enough I could smell them.

They just ran off.

I also spotted a black bear on a gravel road in time to stop about forty feet away, but he had just gone out in the road and stopped.

I also almost hit this yankee woman on a trail once. She tawked like Rocky Balboa.Were you close enough to smell her ?

megimoo
06-27-2008, 07:25 PM
What? You think they look both ways?And they have these little directional signals built in !

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Were you close enough to smell her ?

Yeah. She smelled like cheese steak....and nicotine.

Kinda erotic though.

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
You resemble many things.:rolleyes:

I've only worn feathers that once....um...

IT WAS A FULL MOON......

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM

Kinda erotic though.

Pics?................

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Pics?................

One blurred image. She don't photograph, and she don't reflect in mirrors........

I was skeered. :eek:

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 09:37 PM
One blurred image. She don't photograph, and she don't reflect in mirrors........

I was skeered. :eek:

That's why they make the big money, dude.

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 09:39 PM
That's why they make the big money, dude.

Philadelphia Lawyers. Huda Thunkit.

megimoo
06-27-2008, 09:53 PM

Kinda erotic though.Philly cheese steak ?

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Philly cheese steak ?

Only Cheese Steak there is Meg. It's a legal thing.

AlmostThere
06-28-2008, 01:41 AM
BOULDER A cyclist in Boulder County was injured after a run-in, literally, with a bear.

Tim Egan, 53, was riding on Old Stage Road Tuesday afternoon when suddenly a bear appeared in front of him. Egan hit the bear and ended up skidding across the road. "This bear looked at me with a look of terror on his face and sort of made a noise," said Egan. "I looked at him with a look of terror and we went, 'aaaahhhhh.'"
He cracked some ribs, suffered cuts on his head and had road rash. Egan said he and the bike flipped and flew over the bear, hitting the pavement hard.

Egan estimated he was going about 45 miles per hour at impact. He said the bear was about 6 feet tall and probably weighed 500 pounds.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/bicyclist-going-45-mph-hits-bear-boulder-county/

Hit a 500 lb critter at 45mph, flipped over it and hit pavement hard. Bike was OK to get on and ride to hospital? I want one of those.

AmPat
06-28-2008, 04:31 AM

Everybody knows this is a big lie, There is no way a 53 year old man pedals a bike 45 miles an hour.:D

megimoo
06-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Everybody knows this is a big lie, There is no way a 53 year old man pedals a bike 45 miles an hour.:DDown hill with a strong tail wind, head down and one of those 'Alien' bike helmets ?

Bubba Dawg
06-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Everybody knows this is a big lie, There is no way a 53 year old man pedals a bike 45 miles an hour.:D

I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway once on a long downgrade and got passed by a cyclist who was going well over fifty. On a descent those things can fly, and they're quiet. No way the bear heard him.

AmPat
06-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Yes, they leap into the road. It's not like they patiently wait at cross-walks or anything. I almost killed myself last year avoiding a Mulie that spontaneously leaped into my lane. It was a good thing there was no traffic because I hit the brakes and did a 180.:eek:

My brother was almost killed when he went deer hunting on his Roadking. He survived and bagged a 10 point and 2005 Harley in one incident.:eek: