PDA

View Full Version : America's Reclamation Project

AlmostThere
03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506827,00.html

DETROIT Welcome to Landlord Nation, where foreclosure notices are plentiful and for-sale signs offer at least 1,800 homes for under $10,000 that once were worth at least 10 times more.

In extreme cases, homes are on sale for $1 or less, which has enticed investors to Detroit from as far away as the United Kingdom and Australia.

"In the past few months, I've picked up 10 new clients from out of state that are buying in bulk," said Mike Shannon, a suburban Detroit real estate agent. His office specializes in foreclosures in a city that's among the national leaders.

"They're coming to us, saying 'Look, I want to buy 50, 100, 1,000.' They want to own every decent and cheap house they can find."

There are folks who want payment for injustices done to blacks 2 and 3 centuries ago. ACORN feels they're justified in breaking into and claiming homes that have been foreclosed on.

Am I crazy in wondering if at some point in the near future someone is going to claim that poor people have been wrongly cheated out of the homes they didn't pay for in the first place? Worked in Zimbabwe, right?

PoliCon
03-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Detroit is a rotting carcass. It should be abandoned and leveled and all it's population relocated to . . . . Connecticut. :)

FlaGator
03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Where is Robcop when you need him?

noonwitch
03-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Detroit is a rotting carcass. It should be abandoned and leveled and all it's population relocated to . . . . Connecticut. :)

It's easy to say that when you don't have people you know and love there.

linda22003
03-09-2009, 07:47 AM

You'll like Connecticut. :)

Lars1701a
03-09-2009, 07:49 AM

No to western PA, there is plenty enough room and they would go well with all of the other idiots out there. :D

PoliCon
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM
No to western PA, there is plenty enough room and they would go well with all of the other idiots out there. :D

Don't be an ass. We need to send them to some elitist left wing enclave. Somewhere where the cream of the democratic circles reside and live high dictating to the plebes. DUH! That does not discribe Pittsburgh in any way shape or form. :p

PoliCon
03-09-2009, 10:07 AM

If you love them - get them out.

Lars1701a
03-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Don't be an ass. We need to send them to some elitist left wing enclave. Somewhere where the cream of the democratic circles reside and live high dictating to the plebes. DUH! That does not discribe Pittsburgh in any way shape or form. :p

Ya if not for Philly and Pittsburgh the Republicans would win PA

PoliCon
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Ya if not for Philly and Pittsburgh the Republicans would win PA

Yers but the democrats in PA are the stupid labor union types. Not the elitist snop types. I guess we could relocate all the resident of Detroit to Seattle :) Does that suit your sense of justice better?

noonwitch
03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
If you love them - get them out.

It's not that simple. I wish it was, but it isn't. There are still some good things in Detroit-WSU, the DIA and other museums, the Red Wings, and downtown is looking better than it has in a couple of decades, with the reopening of the Book-Cadillac hotel and the commuter train (the station has been built, but the tracks haven't been laid down yet) we're supposed to be getting along Woodward AVE. There has always been a good music scene here, even though Barry Gordy stabbed us in the back when he moved Motown to LA. There are also still some nice parts of town, although now that the city employees don't have to live in the city anymore, the "copper valley" neighborhoods are no longer the middle class areas they were 10 years ago.

There are also still around 850, 000 people living there-old people who can't leave, young kids who have no choice, and people with churches and communities. I've thought that what was needed a long time ago, was an aggressive small business development program, but everyone kept pinning their hopes on the auto industry rebounding.

I could plan a trip for a conservative to Detroit, in which even he would have a good time. It's never been as dangerous as people think-it is if you are a black male under 40, but with a little caution, it's not that dangerous for the rest of us. Red Wings tickets are at an all-time low for a cup-holding team. The billboard I saw advertised 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs and two pops for $45. Out of all 4 teams, they're the one most likely to get another championship in the next 5 years.

Lars1701a
03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Yers but the democrats in PA are the stupid labor union types. Not the elitist snop types. I guess we could relocate all the resident of Detroit to Seattle :) Does that suit your sense of justice better?

Sounds good to me. Could we send a few from Jersey with them?

PoliCon
03-10-2009, 08:25 PM
It's not that simple. I wish it was, but it isn't. There are still some good things in Detroit-WSU, the DIA and other museums, the Red Wings, and downtown is looking better than it has in a couple of decades, with the reopening of the Book-Cadillac hotel and the commuter train (the station has been built, but the tracks haven't been laid down yet) we're supposed to be getting along Woodward AVE. There has always been a good music scene here, even though Barry Gordy stabbed us in the back when he moved Motown to LA. There are also still some nice parts of town, although now that the city employees don't have to live in the city anymore, the "copper valley" neighborhoods are no longer the middle class areas they were 10 years ago.

There are also still around 850, 000 people living there-old people who can't leave, young kids who have no choice, and people with churches and communities. I've thought that what was needed a long time ago, was an aggressive small business development program, but everyone kept pinning their hopes on the auto industry rebounding.

I could plan a trip for a conservative to Detroit, in which even he would have a good time. It's never been as dangerous as people think-it is if you are a black male under 40, but with a little caution, it's not that dangerous for the rest of us. Red Wings tickets are at an all-time low for a cup-holding team. The billboard I saw advertised 2 tickets, 2 hot dogs and two pops for $45. Out of all 4 teams, they're the one most likely to get another championship in the next 5 years.
A friend of mine's husband works for Cadillac as a design engineer. He does the central column display layouts and stuff. ANYHOW - I went to visit them a couple of years ago for thanksgiving. I know what Detriot is like. It's UGLY +1. Dirty. And I would not advise anyone to visit unless they must. And you say the redwings like it's a good thing?? please lady! :p

PoliCon
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds good to me. Could we send a few from Jersey with them?
OH. Are we leveling that shithole too?

noonwitch
03-11-2009, 08:24 AM
A friend of mine's husband works for Cadillac as a design engineer. He does the central column display layouts and stuff. ANYHOW - I went to visit them a couple of years ago for thanksgiving. I know what Detriot is like. It's UGLY +1. Dirty. And I would not advise anyone to visit unless they must. And you say the redwings like it's a good thing?? please lady! :p

I've lived in Metro Detroit for 22 years. I've never been a victim of a crime, and I lived in the city for 12 of those years.

You might hate the Red Wings, but Stanley has been here a lot since 1997.