PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Threatens "War" if 'Satellite' Shot Down

AHeneen
03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
N. Korea Threatens War if 'Satellite' Is Shot Down
From Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,506843,00.html)
SEOUL, South Korea North Korea ordered its armed forces on standby and warned Monday it will retaliate against anyone seeking to block its planned satellite launch, which many fear will disguise a missile test.

The threat was the North's latest attempt to escalate tensions on the divided peninsula and a strong sign that the communist nation intends to push ahead with the launch despite mounting international pressure to drop the plan. Analysts say Pyongyang is trying to grab President Barack Obama's attention as his administration formulates its North Korea policy.

Monday's warning came hours before United States and South Korea kicked off annual war games involving tens of thousands of troops, which the communist nation has condemned as preparations for an invasion.

The joint drills across South Korea began as concerns mounted that Pyongyang could be gearing up to test-fire a long-range missile capable of reaching U.S. territory. North Korea says it plans to launch a communications satellite, but neighboring governments believe it is a cover for a missile test.

Analysts have said a launch could come late this month or in early April when the North's new legislature, chosen in Sunday's election, is expected to convene its first meeting to confirm Kim Jong Il as leader.

U.S. and Japanese officials have suggested they could shoot down a North Korean missile if necessary.

"If the enemies recklessly opt for intercepting our satellite, our revolutionary armed forces will launch without hesitation a just retaliatory strike operation not only against all the interceptor means involved but against the strongholds" of the U.S., Japan and South Korea, the general staff of the North's military said in a statement.

"Shooting our satellite for peaceful purposes will precisely mean a war," said the statement, carried by Pyongyang's official Korean Central News Agency.

The North's military ordered all personnel to "be fully combat ready" so that they could "deal merciless retaliatory blows" at the enemy, KCNA said in a separate dispatch.

North Korea also said it would cut off a military hot line with the South during the 12-day exercises, leaving the sides without any means of communication, triggering fears that even an accidental skirmish could develop into a battle as the sides have no way of contacting each other.

The two sides have used the hot line to exchange information about the crossing of goods and people through the industrial North Korean border city of Kaesong. Its suspension could halt traffic and strand about 570 South Koreans staying in the zone.

In Seoul, the new U.S. special envoy on Pyongyang met with South Korean Defense Minister Lee Sang-hee on Monday to discuss the tensions. Stephen W. Bosworth is scheduled to hold a series of meetings with President Lee Myung-bak and other senior officials later in the day.

Bosworth has urged Pyongyang to refrain from firing a missile, stop threatening neighbors, and defuse tensions through dialogue. The envoy arrived in Seoul on Saturday as part of an Asian tour that has already taken him to China and Japan.

The United States and South Korea have conducted annual military exercises a few times a year for decades, and Pyongyang has routinely condemned them as rehearsals for invasion.

The North had stepped up its war rhetoric in the run-up to the drills that began Monday. It has threatened South Korean passenger planes flying near its airspace, claiming the maneuvers pose grave threats to its security.

Seoul and Washington have repeatedly said the drills, which involve its 26,000 military personnel in South Korea, an unspecified number of southern soldiers and a U.S. aircraft carrier, are purely defensive, and the allies do not have any intention of attacking the North.

Ties between the two Koreas have badly frayed since Lee took office last year, taking a tougher stance than his liberal predecessors on Pyongyang, and halting unconditional aid to the impoverished neighbor.

An angered North Korea suspended the reconciliation process and key joint cooperation projects with Seoul, while making a stream of belligerent threats against the South.

The two Koreas technically remain in a state of conflict as the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a cease-fire, not a peace treaty. Hundreds of thousands of troops are amassed on each side of the Demilitarized Zone separating the two Koreas, making the Korean border one of the world's most heavily armed.

FlaGator
03-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Can we just nuke them and be done with this? The North Korean rhetoric is getting old and predictable.

AHeneen
03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
Given their recent hostility, I honestly take the threat half-seriously. However, in light of this, the Big O will probably give the order to stand down and let the missile fly right over our allies or even into US airspace.

djones520
03-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Given their recent hostility, I honestly take the threat half-seriously. However, in light of this, the Big O will probably give the order to stand down and let the missile fly right over our allies or even into US airspace.

Jong Il is getting older, and nearing death. He vowed to his father that before he died he'd reunite the two Korea's. This is one of those things that we've been watching as an indicator to possible hostilities. Testing a missile that can reach the continental US, putting satellites in the sky, and ratcheting up the rhetoric are definite indicators that we need to be on our toes.

On top of this though, I expect President Obama to be the one who blinks in this game of chicken.

AHeneen
03-09-2009, 03:53 AM
Don't label me an appeaser, but to calm the hostilities, here's what I'd do if I were POTUS:
-Say that we'd let NK launch their satellite, with the condition that it would be shot down if it entered/neared US, Japanese, or S.Korean airspace.
-I'd also say that if it shows signs of being a missile (arcs back down towards Earth, blows up, etc), it would either be shot down or (if we couldn't shoot it down for various reasons), we'd go after numerous military targets in NK.
-Of course, the above would be in concert with our S.Korean & Japanese allies.

djones520
03-09-2009, 04:03 AM
we'd go after numerous military targets in NK.

Under what precedence? In 1998 the N. Korean's "tested" a missile that flew directly over Misawa AFB in Japan. In 2007 they fired off dozens of missiles ranging from short range to the failure of the Taepo Dong 2 which is estimated to have the range to hit California.

Both times we made no overt military response.

SarasotaRepub
03-09-2009, 06:27 PM
The VRWC's Death Ray can do more than bring down light planes....

Just saying. :D

Teh O doesn't have to know.

Lars1701a
03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
If I was the big O I would shoot it down just to call their bluff. :D

But most likely he will cower and do what the NK's say. :mad:

ironhorsedriver
03-10-2009, 08:55 AM
What makes the threat more credible to me is, it could be a way to solidify the masses with the dear leader. With famine and hunger rampant in NK, it would be away to turn the peoples unrest in another direction. Remember, Argentina did the same thing in the Falklands.

ted bailey
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I think it's interesting we keep playing with N. Korea. I think there full of it and we have nothing to worry about. Send a couple satellites over. If they want to mess with us then bring it on!

Mythic
03-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh God if China gets involved I will be pissed.

Full-Auto
03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
I think it would be funny if we shot their missile down. What would they do? It would be like kicking an ant hill. They would run around in circles frantically... but ultimately couldn't do anything about it.

djones520
03-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I think it would be funny if we shot their missile down. What would they do? It would be like kicking an ant hill. They would run around in circles frantically... but ultimately couldn't do anything about it.

Of course they could. I don't have any doubt in my mind that we would win the conflict, but millions would end up dying, with a very strong possibility on nuclear arms being used by both sides.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that none of us no about, but from what little I do know, N. Korea is not an anthill I want to kick. At least not while this President is in office.

Lars1701a
03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
Of course they could. I don't have any doubt in my mind that we would win the conflict, but millions would end up dying, with a very strong possibility on nuclear arms being used by both sides.

There is a lot going on behind the scenes that none of us no about, but from what little I do know, N. Korea is not an anthill I want to kick. At least not while this President is in office.

I doubt if NK would use nukes but I would guess Seoul would get the shit kicked out of it by artillery and such.

Space Gravy
03-12-2009, 08:16 AM
If I was the big O I would shoot it down just to call their bluff. :D

But most likely he will cower and do what the NK's say. :mad:

With O in charge I'm thinking about learning how to speak Korean.

Full-Auto
03-12-2009, 10:00 AM

The one nuke they managed to detonate was a dud.

We shoot down their satellite and they do what, invade South Korea? That wouldn''t last long. This isn't the 1950's, this is 2009. The Norks wouldn't have the support of China anymore, they're far more loyal to us given we're their largest trading partner now. The South would stomp a mud hole in their chest within weeks. The Norks don't have the money, food or resources to fight a prolonged war and they don't have quality nukes. The few they have would likely be duds, assuming they have any working nukes at all. And they know just as the rest of the world does, if you use a nuke you can kiss your ass goodbye. We would level their entire country in about 20 minutes. They may be stupid, but they're not insane.