PDA

View Full Version : Modest Clothing Makes A Comeback As Retailers Scramble.

Gingersnap
03-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Retailers widen options, including more modest clothes

By Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY

Modesty in young women's clothing is getting a boost from the dismal economy.
When consumer spending was in overdrive, retailers could sell to the masses and ignore the more muted voices asking for, say, a decent supply of sleeved shirts or prom dresses that show more fabric than skin.

Now, however, it's the rare retailer who's willing to take the chance of turning off any possible customer. Luxury-store clerks can no longer afford to look down at scruffy shoppers, and store owners of every sort are recognizing the one-size-fits-all approach to retail buying no longer works.

Whether it's more of a fiscal or moral shift, understated girls' clothing may indeed be making a comeback.

Even flashy Chanel designer Karl Lagerfeld declared "bling is over" and noted the economy is prompting a "new modesty," in an interview with the International Herald Tribune this year.

Retail consultant Ken Nisch says the trend is more moderation than modesty, but the effect may be the same.

"It's not because of a moral revival but about sensibility," says Nisch, chairman of retail brand and design firm JGA. "What's provocative has often been ultra trendy, and it just doesn't make sense to buy things you can't wear for a lot of occasions anymore."

The evidence is found everywhere, from the baggy and shapeless "boyfriend" jeans that are replacing skin tight ones for many young women to the basic fashions seen all over New York these days, says Meredith Barnett, CEO of retail boutique website StoreAdore.com.

"People want to be more comfortable and more covered," says Barnett. "You're not seeing nearly as much risk taking."

The trend is forcing a shift in the way retailers do business. Just as teen retailers have come to target the gothic girl, the diva and the street-wear aficionado, they now must recognize that skin is simply not always in. For every girl who embraces strapless tops and micro-mini dresses, there might be one who is trying to abide by either a school or moral dress code. Modest fashion typically calls for covered shoulders, thighs and cleavage but is hardly the definition of frumpy that the term often calls to mind.

I have noticed that tops have generally higher necklines lately but the material is still skimpy and the sleeves are still those ridiculous cap sleeves that make everybody look like they have fat arms.

If this is a real trend at all, I would guess that it's driven by the need to wear clothing for more than one season and not due to any deep soul-searching on the part of 15 year old girls.

I wonder if retailers will begin to get the idea that their best customer's could be working women with disposable income instead of dependent teens?

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2009-03-08-teens-modest-retail-clothes_N.htm)

noonwitch
03-09-2009, 10:38 AM
I hope that this is considered seriously during prom dress season. I feel so badly for parents who only have various degrees of slutty dresses to choose from, these days. In the 80s, we wore the Gunne Sax dresses, which were lacy, beautiful and modest-appropriate for teenagers.

The other thing stores might want to consider is selling clothes in the "Junior High" sizes that the higher-end stores offered when I was in that age group (Jacobson's, Steketee's, Hudson's, Marshall Fields, etc). My 9 year old niece is wearing a girl's 14, and won't be wearing that size much longer-she's 5' tall. But she's too young for the junior sized styles, which are more for high school and college girls, not to mention young adults in their 20s. Walmart, Target and stores like The Limited Too might want to consider that.

As a full-figured woman, I never have problems finding modest clothes, except at Lane Bryant, who market to women with far more confidence than I have about showing arms and skin. The Avenue has nice things, and when I have extra money, I can always find good things at Nordies.

Gingersnap
03-09-2009, 11:37 AM
As a full-figured woman, I never have problems finding modest clothes, except at Lane Bryant, who market to women with far more confidence than I have about showing arms and skin.

There's a fine line between "confidence" and total denial of the obvious. :D

Lingerie Alley
05-24-2009, 10:27 AM
There’s a cartoon circulating, it’s in syndication, and it perfectly captures this moment in time: Two women are walking down the street past shop windows where there are all these percentage-off signs prominently hung. They’re stopped in front of a dress shop where there’s a big graphic that says, “Everything 80% to 90% off.” The bubble over the one woman’s head says to the other woman, “I don’t know, I think I’ll wait till it goes down some more.”

Stock is being reduced everywhere, granted, at times so low that it’s an incentive for even the stingiest of us to reach into our pockets...but rest assured, the market has pretty much bottomed out. Consumers, like trained chimps, have quickly learned that paying full price for anything is ridiculous. Maybe Macy’s will start offering bananas with purchase to lure us back in.

Bubba Dawg
05-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Maybe pedal pushers/clam diggers will come back in style...:p:D

runs...

Rockntractor
05-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Maybe pedal pushers/clam diggers will come back in style...:p:D

runs...
Are you wanting them to wear yourself!:eek:

Odysseus
05-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I hope that this is considered seriously during prom dress season. I feel so badly for parents who only have various degrees of slutty dresses to choose from, these days. In the 80s, we wore the Gunne Sax dresses, which were lacy, beautiful and modest-appropriate for teenagers.
Otherwise known as the bad girl dresses from Pretty in Pink. :D
http://sc4.stylefeeder.com/thumb/1d/0v/1d0vtzs5/1d0vtzs5-200.jpg

Maybe pedal pushers/clam diggers will come back in style...
runs...

And this would be bad because...?
http://www.clicket.com/images_med/15916.jpg

Bubba Dawg
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Are you wanting them to wear yourself!:eek:

http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/18/1867/WXY8D00Z/rafael-nadal.jpg

You know, I think I'd look swell in them. And sandals.

AND....

At fifty I may have outgrown my inner thug look...

http://www.crustyorange.com/pics/baggy%20pants.jpg

word....

Rockntractor
05-24-2009, 01:33 PM
http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/18/1867/WXY8D00Z/rafael-nadal.jpg

You know, I think I'd look swell in them. And sandals.

AND....

At fifty I may have outgrown my inner thug look...

http://www.crustyorange.com/pics/baggy%20pants.jpg

word....
In Oklahoma you'd get your ass whupped for wearing pants like that!

Bubba Dawg
05-24-2009, 02:55 PM
In Oklahoma you'd get your ass whupped for wearing pants like that!

Well I'd probably be okay cuz I wear spandex cycling tights instead of plain old cotton drawers with 'em.

You may have noticed my Gangsta Cyclist of the Apocalypse Personae is a major part of the street cred in all the fashion threads on the forum. I don't mean to brag, I'm just sayin'....:cool:

Rockntractor
05-24-2009, 02:59 PM
Well I'd probably be okay cuz I wear spandex cycling tights instead of plain old cotton drawers with 'em.

You may have noticed my Gangsta Cyclist of the Apocalypse Personae is a major part of the street cred in all the fashion threads on the forum. I don't mean to brag, I'm just sayin'....:cool:
Well if you ever come here to visit you had better get some big boy pants. Just sayin

Bubba Dawg
05-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Well if you ever come here to visit you had better get some big boy pants. Just sayin

Hey, it ain't easy being a fashion icon, especially with modest clothing making a comeback. I've got to get a whole new wardrobe.

Odysseus
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Hey, it ain't easy being a fashion icon, especially with modest clothing making a comeback. I've got to get a whole new wardrobe.

Time to retire the spandex? :D

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Stock is being reduced everywhere, granted, at times so low that it’s an incentive for even the stingiest of us to reach into our pockets...but rest assured, the market has pretty much bottomed out. Consumers, like trained chimps, have quickly learned that paying full price for anything is ridiculous. Maybe Macy’s will start offering bananas with purchase to lure us back in.

The problem is that there's nothing much out there that I want even if it's 90% off. I've seen both the 60s and the 70s "reinvented" so often that I'm completely sick of the styles. Whatever charm they may have had the first time around has been completely killed by dozens of ironic interpretations. Worse yet, almost none of this ugly clothing can be worn for more than one season because it's too trendy.

I do have to thank the global fashion industry for something, though. It taught me that I can design and sew clothing that is stylish, comfortable, and of high quality without any formal design training at all. :)

Odysseus
05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
The problem is that there's nothing much out there that I want even if it's 90% off. I've seen both the 60s and the 70s "reinvented" so often that I'm completely sick of the styles. Whatever charm they may have had the first time around has been completely killed by dozens of ironic interpretations. Worse yet, almost none of this ugly clothing can be worn for more than one season because it's too trendy.

I do have to thank the global fashion industry for something, though. It taught me that I can design and sew clothing that is stylish, comfortable, and of high quality without any formal design training at all. :)

Which takes you back to the other major style trend of the 80's, Molly Ringwald's home-made chic from Pretty in Pink. :D

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5p3lUJPGJZQ/Se_i2amWd3I/AAAAAAAACSY/piu4IDULhI0/s1600-h/Pretty-in-Pink_l.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5p3lUJPGJZQ/Se_i2amWd3I/AAAAAAAACSY/piu4IDULhI0/s400/Pretty-in-Pink_l.jpg)

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2009, 09:17 PM

Well, yeah, but not everyone has a natural ability to work in leather the way that Michelangelo worked in stone....:)

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Time to retire the spandex? :D

Yes....yes....except for when I'm cycling....and in July of course, when the Tour de France is being run....

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, yeah, but not everyone has a natural ability to work in leather the way that Michelangelo worked in stone....:)

You just cut away everything.........that's not Ginger. :D

Bubba Dawg
05-26-2009, 10:05 PM
You just cut away everything.........that's not Ginger. :D

Ah, I see, free the inner....um....sniper.....I can't actually spell boustier .....but I know it when I see it.....um....:o.:D

Gingersnap
05-26-2009, 10:54 PM
Ah, I see, free the inner....um....sniper.....I can't actually spell boustier .....but I know it when I see it.....um....:o.:D

So you claim.

Lars1701a
05-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I thought people we're tired of ghey threads? :rolleyes: