PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Follies.

Gingersnap
03-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Down with Facebook!
What nobody bothers to mention about the social-networking site is that it's really dull--mind-numbingly dull.

by Matt Labash
03/16/2009, Volume 014, Issue 25

Look at the outer shell--the parachute pants, the piano-key tie, the fake tuxedo T-shirt--and you might mistake me for a slave to fashion. Do not be deceived. Early adoption isn't my thing. I much prefer late adoption, that moment when the trend-worshipping sheeple who have early-adopted drive the unsustainable way of life I so stubbornly cling to ever so close to the edge of obsolescence, that I've no choice but to follow. This explains why I bought cassette tapes until 1999, why I wouldn't purchase a DVD player until Blockbuster cashiered their VHS stock. Toothpaste? I use it now that it's clear it's here to stay.

So I'm not inflexible. But there is one promise I've made to myself. And that is that no matter how long I live, no matter how much pressure is exerted, no matter how socially isolated I become, I will never, ever join Facebook, the omnipresent online social-networking site that like so many things that have menaced our country (the Unabomber, Love Story, David Gergen) came to us from Harvard but has now worked its insidious hooks into every crevice of society.

For the five or six Amish shut-ins who may not yet have heard of this scourge (your tenacious ignorance is to be admired, and I'd immediately friend you if I was into Facebook and you had electricity), Facebook is an online community where colleagues, friends, long-lost acquaintances, friends of friends or long-lost acquaintances, and perfect strangers find and "friend" each other based on their
real or perceived affinity. They then have access to each other's web pages, and consequently to each other's lives, quirks, photos, jottings, oversharings, and mental disorders, as well as to those of the ever-expanding universe of their friends' circles, thus increasing the likelihood that you will either embarrass yourself or be embarrassed by someone whose life would never otherwise intersect with yours. (Right about now, a Facetard is ginning up an angry letter to the editor saying this would not be the case if you know how to control your privacy settings. Save the geek speech for your Facebook friends, Facetard, I already got my eight hours sleep.)

Read the entire thing, it's pretty amusing. I don't do social networking myself. I don't have the time and frankly, I'm just not that into you if I haven't seen you in 20 years. I mean, there was reason neither of us picked up the phone all those years ago.

Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/256implp.asp)

linda22003
03-09-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree. People have sent me links to their pages, and I'm sure they're offended when I respond, "I don't use those."

Gingersnap
03-09-2009, 11:35 AM
I agree. People have sent me links to their pages, and I'm sure they're offended when I respond, "I don't use those."

When I need to talk with people, I usually just make a date to see them in person or pick up the phone. There are some I normally just email. If the relationship was more removed than that, there's probably a reason.

I can see the networking opportunities of Twitter but not enough to actually join it.

FlaGator
03-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I didn't think that I would but I actually like Facebook. Its a convienent way of keeping friends and family updated on things going on in your life. I spend no more than 30 minutes a day on it and I know what is going on with people. I also set up a group for my church and we us it to share church things. My main reason for using it is for convienence. I never liked Myspace but Facebook I find is actually useful.

BadCat
03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
The only time I have ever even looked at facebook, I spent most of it laughing at the members.

Shannon
03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Early adoption isn't my thing. I much prefer late adoption, that moment when the trend-worshipping sheeple who have early-adopted drive the unsustainable way of life I so stubbornly cling to ever so close to the edge of obsolescence, that I've no choice but to follow. This explains why I bought cassette tapes until 1999, why I wouldn't purchase a DVD player until Blockbuster cashiered their VHS stock.

This is so me.:D I've never even browsed Facebook or the myspace thingie.

ralph wiggum
03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Making comments about your employer on a pseudo-public website, not such a good idea:

Facebook post gets worker fired (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965039)

A Facebook post criticizing his employer, the Philadelphia Eagles, cost a stadium operations worker his job, according to a story in Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

Dan Leone, who the Inquirer said worked as a west gate chief, was unhappy the team let Brian Dawkins sign with the Denver Broncos in free agency. According to the newspaper, Leone posted the following on his Facebook page: "Dan is [expletive] devastated about Dawkins signing with Denver ... Dam Eagles R Retarted!!"

Despite deleting the comment, Leone told the Inquirer the Eagles fired him by phone days later.

"I shouldn't have put it up there," Leone said, according to the Inquirer. "I was ticked off, and I let my emotions go, but I didn't offend any one person or target a specific individual. I was just upset that we lost such a great guy. Dawkins was one of my favorite players. I made a mistake."

Leone said he was shocked to lose his job of six years.

"I apologized for it," Leone said, according to the paper. "I apologized 20 million times. I never bad-mouthed the organization before. I made one mistake and they terminate me? And they couldn't even bring me into the office to talk to me? They had to do it over the phone? At least look me in the eye. To get done dirty like this, I can't believe it. I'm devastated."

The Eagles confirmed that Leone was a part-time staff member, but didn't comment further.

SaintLouieWoman
03-09-2009, 04:54 PM
Read the entire thing, it's pretty amusing. I don't do social networking myself. I don't have the time and frankly, I'm just not that into you if I haven't seen you in 20 years. I mean, there was reason neither of us picked up the phone all those years ago.

Weekly Standard (http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/016/256implp.asp)

Ginger, I suspect you don't do texting, Neither do I. If I have something to say, I'll pick up the phone and actually talk. Had one invitation to faceback and declined.

biccat
03-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Facebook is pretty mind-numbingly boring. I got into it during law school as a way to organize tailgating and stuff. I've kept it up because I have a lot of cousins around my age who do interesting things from time to time.

I log on about once every 2-3 weeks, just because I get a new "[Cousin] added you as a friend on Facebook!"

I think my cat's page has more pokes and random friends than I do.

MrsSmith
03-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I guess I've never spent enough time on facebook to get bored. I check out new photos of kids or grandkids, maybe comment on them, occasionally update mine for them to see, and that's about it. It's convenient.

PoliCon
03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Ya'll needs ta get wif da tymz.

http://vator.tv/news/show/2009-03-09-social-networks-more-popular-than-email

of course if you are too effete to rub elbows with the common man - there is always: http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/mar/09/Affluence-org-Facebook-filthy-rich-social-network/

Lanie
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM

I have a Facebook page, but I hardly discuss with the friends from way back when. There's one person I really want to find, but Facebook was of no help.

But there's one or two of the applications I like there because playing them supposedly helps out a cause.

Radix
03-09-2009, 09:49 PM
"... Had one invitation to faceback and declined....."

So you're the one.

Gingersnap
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Ginger, I suspect you don't do texting, Neither do I. If I have something to say, I'll pick up the phone and actually talk. Had one invitation to faceback and declined.

You are correct. I don't own a cell phone and I got rid of IM apps a while ago. Basically, I don't want to be that connected outside of work. All that stuff is just another electronic leash in my mind. If people want to chat with me, that's great! We'll talk on the phone or go out for lunch but don't expect me to get that urgent message about how you ran out of hand lotion at 2:00 a.m. :p

PoliCon
03-10-2009, 09:26 PM
You are correct. I don't own a cell phone and I got rid of IM apps a while ago. Basically, I don't want to be that connected outside of work. All that stuff is just another electronic leash in my mind. If people want to chat with me, that's great! We'll talk on the phone or go out for lunch but don't expect me to get that urgent message about how you ran out of hand lotion at 2:00 a.m. :p

I'd much rather text than talk on the phone. People tend to get up set when I make side comments about the stupid things they rant on and on about . . . .

EricMartin
03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
As a radical for individual liberty/free market capitalism, I frequently use Facebook for political activism. It's a great way to influence the marketplace of ideas, as everything you post to your profile is visible in the general news feed of everyone on your "friends list", and as you can draw much attention through establishing political ad-hoc groups. It's also a great tool for connecting with other political activists and better coordinating your efforts.

PoliCon
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
As a radical for individual liberty/free market capitalism, I frequently use Facebook for political activism. It's a great way to influence the marketplace of ideas, as everything you post to your profile is visible in the general news feed of everyone on your "friends list", and as you can draw much attention through establishing political ad-hoc groups. It's also a great tool for connecting with other political activists and better coordinating your efforts.

I annoy certain of my friends and family with the stuff I post on facebook :)