PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers Of Not Drinking (News You Can Use!)

Gingersnap
03-10-2009, 04:13 PM
THE DANGERS OF NOT DRINKING

March 10, 2009 --

THOSE who seek salvation in a bottle may have found their muse. Dr. Malcolm Lloyd, a Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth-trained physician and former pharmaceutical clinical researcher, will appear on "Good Morning America" this week to espouse the health benefits of daily drinking. "A lot of research shows that people who drink moderately flat-out live longer than those who don't," Lloyd tells Page Six. "From the pre vention of the common cold to the pre- vention of the onset of Alzheimer's to preventing certain types of cancer, regular drinking can be very beneficial." Whereas most research has focused on wine, he says spirits can provide the same boon. Lloyd notes that "moderation" means one to two drinks a day for women and one to three drinks a day for men, and, "the positive effects start going in the other direction" once those numbers are exceeded.

Interesting.

NY Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/03102009/gossip/pagesix/the_dangers_of_not_drinking_158799.htm)

lacarnut
03-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Neither one of my parents drank. My dad lived to 99 and my mom to 93. My mom's brother and my dad's 3sisters made it to around 90 and were all teetotalers. The author minimizes the effects of excessive drinking. As an ex smoker and drinker, I would advise any young person to not pick up that first drink, first smoke, first joint, first snort, etc. You may get hooked and if that happens, you are in serious danger.

Bubba Dawg
03-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Perhaps we as a society should re-think the sin tax on booze. As a drinker I'm sick of paying for through the nose for the health deficiencies of those who swill orange juice and milk.

Let them pay for their own degenerate lifestyle. :cool:

PoliCon
03-10-2009, 09:39 PM
the pre- vention of the onset of Alzheimer'sI think this is reason enough to have at least one a day.

JB
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
three drinks a day for menI wonder if having all 21 on a Saturday night has the same benefits.

Water Closet
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
I wonder if having all 21 on a Saturday night has the same benefits.

Wimp!

Shannon
03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Wimp!

These kids nowadays...:rolleyes:

SaintLouieWoman
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I think this is reason enough to have at least one a day.
Depends on your definition of "one", sort of like Clinton's "is". If one a day is a bottle of beer or glass of wine, it's definable. Those mixed drinks are something else. My definition is one shot of liquor. SR pours it. He told me he'll get a large shot glass. :rolleyes::D

BSR
03-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Neither one of my parents drank. My dad lived to 99 and my mom to 93. My mom's brother and my dad's 3sisters made it to around 90 and were all teetotalers. The author minimizes the effects of excessive drinking. As an ex smoker and drinker, I would advise any young person to not pick up that first drink, first smoke, first joint, first snort, etc. You may get hooked and if that happens, you are in serious danger.

Just think of how long they would have lived if they drank !!! :eek:

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Depends on your definition of "one", sort of like Clinton's "is". If one a day is a bottle of beer or glass of wine, it's definable. Those mixed drinks are something else. My definition is one shot of liquor. SR pours it. He told me he'll get a large shot glass. :rolleyes::D

I'm partian to long island iced teas myself . . . . just one a day will suffice. ;) Currently I'm at like 1 a month.

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 11:23 PM

exactly!!

lacarnut
03-11-2009, 11:53 PM

I buried several teenagers when I worked at a cemetery who were drinking and driving. Just think how long they would have lived if they had not drank.

PoliCon
03-12-2009, 07:04 AM
I buried several teenagers when I worked at a cemetery who were drinking and driving. Just think how long they would have lived if they had not drank.Think how long they would have lived if they had not DRIVEN.