PDA

View Full Version : For survivalists, the end is always nigh

bijou
03-10-2009, 05:35 PM
THE end, when it comes, will be swift. A spiralling economy and diminishing oil supplies will lead to power outages, food shortages, a breakdown in law and order, and ultimately, complete societal collapse. "I anticipate that it'll happen quite fast, like the bushfires," says Tony, a 44-year-old ex-stockbroker.

Tony, who lives with his wife and three young children in Baulkham Hills, has been stockpiling supplies including rice, multivitamins, peanut butter and honey - "Stuff you don't need to cook or refrigerate and that is high in calories" - plus plenty of soap and toilet paper. "Sanitation will break down as sewerage [systems] clog because people will be unable to maintain the infrastructure. So we'll see diseases like cholera and typhoid."

Tony (who didn't want his second name used), is part of a new wave of Australian survivalists, a disparate group that includes peak oilers, permaculturalists and "transition teams" that are making plans for what they see as the coming apocalypse. Such people used to fret about nuclear Armageddon or Y2K: today, it's more likely to be global warming, shrinking oil reserves and financial collapse.

"There has been a surge in interest recently," says Simon Beer, whose website, survival.org.au, has practical tips in bush skills, fire starting and food gathering. "Climate change, peak oil, the economic situation - people are seeing we're headed for catastrophic changes." In 2001, he moved from McMahons Point to the Blue Mountains, where he grows his own vegetables and collects tinned food. He says: "When resources become scarce, people fight, nations fight."

Traffic has also been brisk on Aussurvivalist.com, which has a graph showing the group's opinion "as to possible causes and likelihood of a major catastrophe in the next 10 years". Economic collapse rates at 87 per cent. The website's founder, John Monico, would not talk to the Herald but writes of being interested in survivalism ever since watching The Day Of The Triffids and reading John Christopher's post-apocalyptic novel, No Blade Of Grass. "I have stepped up my level of preparedness," he writes, "due to increasing global uncertainty and the needs of my family."

Most Aussurvivalist members are white and male: more than a third are ex-military or serving. There is a lot of discussion about guns, coupled with a lingering contempt for wider society.

However, Russ Grayson, co-founder of Transition Sydney, says: "We can accomplish more by co-operating in groups and communities rather than acting alone and heading for the hills".

Formed last year, Transition Sydney has several hundred members, and affiliates in Brisbane, Adelaide and the Sunshine Coast, who are preparing for a post-oil world by developing local solutions to food production and distribution, clean energy, water harvesting and recycling.

"We develop prototypes that can be scaled up in case of emergency," Grayson says. "Survivalists are usually on the fringe, but this is a mainstream movement. That's the only way [we can] meet the challenges ahead, by working together."

...MORE...

link (http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/national/national/general/for-survivalists-the-end-is-always-nigh/1446613.aspx)

ralph wiggum
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
"Climate change, peak oil, the economic situation - people are seeing we're headed for catastrophic changes."

What's his DU name?

Dan D. Doty
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Ralph, Moonbats believe the gob\vernment will save them when things go south.

Always be ready when things go south; don't become zombie chow if you can help it.

Every era ends; sometimes a slow decay, sometimes violent crash.

Its best to error on the side of caution, then be the last SOB out of the room when TSHTF.

PoliCon
03-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Its best to error on the side of caution, then be the last SOB out of the room when TSHTF.please. I don't even plan to be in the room when the shit hits the fan . . . .:p

djones520
03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Ralph, Moonbats believe the gob\vernment will save them when things go south.

Always be ready when things go south; don't become zombie chow if you can help it.

Every era ends; sometimes a slow decay, sometimes violent crash.

Its best to error on the side of caution, then be the last SOB out of the room when TSHTF.

Do you have a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Plan?

SarasotaRepub
03-11-2009, 06:56 AM

Doesn't everyone??? :confused:

linda22003
03-11-2009, 07:54 AM
http://graphjam.wordpress.com/files/2009/02/song-chart-memes-food-chain.jpg

noonwitch
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I did my field work with a county services agency in Kalamazoo, that included Head Start under it's umbrella of services. The wife of an elderly survivalist decided that all the food he had stockpiled was going to waste, because they really were too old to survive an apocalypse, at that point, and made him donate all this dehydrated food. We had a real challenge in distributing it, because none of us knew how to reconstitutue it or make meals out of it, so none of our clients would.

We contacted a couple of other local organizations who knew what to do with it.

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
I did my field work with a county services agency in KalamazooOH so you have experience working with zombies! :cool:

jediab
03-11-2009, 08:30 AM
OH so you have experience working with zombies! :cool:

My boss is so braindead he has to be a zombie. :p

Gingersnap
03-11-2009, 08:54 AM
It looks like the Aussies are a little late out of the gate on the whole EOTWAWKI scenario. Colorado is a big time survivalist state. A few people move here simply because the climate is favorable for rough and tumble outdoor living and there is excellent hunting all year. Much of the terrain is also survival-friendly in terms of hiding and defending.

As SR noted: who doesn't have a comprehensive Zombie Apocalypse plan? :confused:

asdf2231
03-11-2009, 10:46 AM
As SR noted: who doesn't have a comprehensive Zombie Apocalypse plan? :confused:

"A" plan?

I have 12.

:cool:

linda22003
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM

Unless there are little red panda zombies. There IS no plan for that, comprehensive or otherwise.
They'll munch on your brains just as cutely as on a little leaf, and you will be unable to resist.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vdI2KXwkaoc/R8FuGikUO1I/AAAAAAAADAw/OcxfonUd-UQ/s320/Red+Panda.jpg

Gingersnap
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Unless there are little red panda zombies. There IS no plan for that, comprehensive or otherwise.
They'll munch on your brains just as cutely as on a little leaf, and you will be unable to resist.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vdI2KXwkaoc/R8FuGikUO1I/AAAAAAAADAw/OcxfonUd-UQ/s320/Red+Panda.jpg

*unloads shotgun, cries*

noonwitch
03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
OH so you have experience working with zombies! :cool:

Yes, and my zombie-fighting army will consist of the juvenile delinquents I used to work with. Most of them are pretty adept with automatic weapons, and most of them liked me.

marinejcksn
03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
I always get a laugh out of when some of the more "out there" survivalists take things WAY too seriously, but honestly having a decent stockpile of food, water, ammunition, batteries & the like isn't kooky or crazy at all. In fact, you're SUPPOSED to have at least a supply of that stuff to last you a few weeks in case of emergency! Doesn't anyone else remember the news telling you during hurricane or tornado season to have essential supplies on hand in case of emergency? Shoot, my family always canned food every year and just put it in the basement in case something happened.

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Shoot, my family always canned food every year and just put it in the basement in case something happened.

I've been doing this since I was a kid. Still do it. You would prolly never believe how much food I put up every year by way of canning . . . . .

enslaved1
03-11-2009, 07:29 PM

*unloads shotgun, cries*

Unloads shotgun, thinks "a nice midday snack". :D

Yes, and my zombie-fighting army will consist of the juvenile delinquents I used to work with. Most of them are pretty adept with automatic weapons, and most of them liked me.

That is pure genius and hilarious at the same time. Somebody's been thinking ahead.

Dan D. Doty
03-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Don't you?

Dan D. Doty
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
I always get a laugh out of when some of the more "out there" survivalists take things WAY too seriously, but honestly having a decent stockpile of food, water, ammunition, batteries & the like isn't kooky or crazy at all. In fact, you're SUPPOSED to have at least a supply of that stuff to last you a few weeks in case of emergency! Doesn't anyone else remember the news telling you during hurricane or tornado season to have essential supplies on hand in case of emergency? Shoot, my family always canned food every year and just put it in the basement in case something happened.

The trouble always come from people who think nothing bad will ever happen; they're the ones who will get people killed.

marinejcksn
03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
The trouble always come from people who think nothing bad will ever happen; they're the ones who will get people killed.

Exactly. Notice how the enormous floods in the MidWest this past year weren't that big of a news story? There was incredible devistation but not much coverage. Neil Boortz covered this a while ago; it was a huge cultural difference from the N.O. area where Hurricane Katrina hit. People in the MidWest were better prepared, they helped each other out and it wasn't too bad. A lot of people in N.O. (as hard as this may be to hear, for some) were raised on a system of Government Dependence and when TSHTF they had no idea what to do.

Another point: You ever remember hearing about the Amish running to the Government for assistance in a catastrophe? Nope.

Full-Auto
03-11-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm stocking up on weapons, ammo, weapons, a little more ammo and a few weapons.

CueSi
03-11-2009, 09:16 PM
The advantage of parents from a 3rd world country is... they know how grow stuff. They know how to kill, clean and butcher livestock. They know some Alternative medicine. And they are more than happy to teach.

And all we need is a gun or two to go with the machetes lying around the house. I may not be able to lead a zombie hunting army, but I can be kind of important to one. :p

~QC

Full-Auto
03-12-2009, 09:57 AM
http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootsaleimages/Zombie_SeasondstDetail.jpg