PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday - Appliance Resurrections

Gingersnap
03-11-2009, 08:45 AM
We'll have snow on and off the next few days and temps will remain below normal. It's that sucky part of the year where the skiing sub-par but the fishing is even worse until the walleyes get going.

TOTD: When I turned on the TV to watch '24' on Monday, I noticed that the picture was kind of wonky and unstable for a couple of minutes. It recovered in time for the show so I didn't think much about it. Last night I wanted to watch a DVD but when I turned the TV on, it only showed and bright horizontal line that sort of pulsated. Sometimes I got the sound but no pic. I do everything you're suppose to do to troubleshoot the receiver and then I turned over to Mr. Snaps who decided that the TV itself was probably shot since it's 15 years old.

This morning he turned it on and it's working perfectly again. :confused:

Have you ever had an appliance or device that magically "healed" itself? Why does this happen?

megimoo
03-11-2009, 09:23 AM
We'll have snow on and off the next few days and temps will remain below normal. It's that sucky part of the year where the skiing sub-par but the fishing is even worse until the walleyes get going.

TOTD: When I turned on the TV to watch '24' on Monday, I noticed that the picture was kind of wonky and unstable for a couple of minutes. It recovered in time for the show so I didn't think much about it. Last night I wanted to watch a DVD but when I turned the TV on, it only showed and bright horizontal line that sort of pulsated. Sometimes I got the sound but no pic. I do everything you're suppose to do to troubleshoot the receiver and then I turned over to Mr. Snaps who decided that the TV itself was probably shot since it's 15 years old.

This morning he turned it on and it's working perfectly again. :confused:

Have you ever had an appliance or device that magically "healed" itself? Why does this happen?

After fifteen years everything is dried out on those circuit boards.Capacitors leak,conductive 'Dust Kitties' gather in the High Voltage cage.It's time to melt down a gold bar and buy a new one.BTW stay away from Sony,Sony is Evil .

The price/times are right for a new flat screen LCD that gives a much better picture and saves space and power.It doesn't have to be HD but if you can find a good deal .The DVD player has no doubt seen better days also but stay away from the Sony Blue Ray,That thing is the Betamax of the 2000's !

- I agree completely, sony is evil, and if Blu-Ray does win, I’ll be skipping this generation.

@Jim - I can’t speak for everyone else, but the reason I think sony is evil is due to the way they treat their customers. A few years ago someone discovered sony was installing rootkits on the PCs of their customers that bought their CDs. Rootkits are bad, and are generally only seen in the world of computer viruses. So they installed software on thier customers’ PCs without approval, and did it in such a way as to try and hide it. Their response when they got caught was pretty much “tough, we’ll do what we want”. It ticked me off to no end, and I vowed not to buy anything sony from that day forward. If they respect me so little as a customer, I don’t want to be their customer.

note:(Betamax (colloquially termed Beta) is an obsolete home videocassette tape recording format developed by Sony, and released on May 10, 1975.'Betamax and VHS competed in a fierce format war which saw VHS come out on top in most markets.')

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
TOTD - I once bought a TV - Emerson I believe was the brand - it was a floor model from Best buy and I had to take it back because the damn thing was possessed. It would turn itself up and down a whim - on and off at the drop of the hat . . . changed channels . . . . when I took it back 2 days later and they asked why I was returning it - I told them: "Damn thing is possessed." They gave me a NEW TV at the same price as the floor model. :)

FlaGator
03-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Sounds like the picture tube is about to go. Unfortunately there practically isn't anybody left who fixes the old style TVs. No money in it because they cost more to repair than to replace. Look for a good LCD since plasma is probably on the way out.

lacarnut
03-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Shoot it and buy another one. :cool:

lacarnut
03-11-2009, 01:56 PM
TOTD - I once bought a TV - Emerson I believe was the brand - it was a floor model from Best buy and I had to take it back because the damn thing was possessed. It would turn itself up and down a whim - on and off at the drop of the hat . . . changed channels . . . . when I took it back 2 days later and they asked why I was returning it - I told them: "Damn thing is possessed." They gave me a NEW TV at the same price as the floor model. :)

Could be the bad neighbor next door was putting a voodoo spell on your TV.

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Could be the bad neighbor next door was putting a voodoo spell on your TV.

Nah it was before she moved in. :p

Shannon
03-11-2009, 09:54 PM
My TV is about 15 years old too. It does strange things all the time. I refuse to replace it until it blows up though.

tacitus
03-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Your horiz oscillator is shot or flaking out. That is what generates the 25+KV needed for the picture tube. You might get a TV repairman to fix it, but that will cost as much as a new LCD TV.

megimoo
03-11-2009, 11:05 PM
My TV is about 15 years old too. It does strange things all the time. I refuse to replace it until it blows up though.Get numbers to hex it with her look of death spell !

linda22003
03-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Get numbers to hex it with her look of death spell !

Think, Megi, think. If I really had such powers, would you still be alive? :p

PoliCon
03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Think, Megi, think. If I really had such powers, would you still be alive? :p

she has a point!:D

megimoo
03-12-2009, 08:25 AM
she has a point!:DGood sense of humor from such an old critter,plus after the Medusa scare I always carry a mirror !

Gingersnap
03-12-2009, 09:25 AM
I guess my TV only had a deathbed rally. I can still get sound but the pic is shot. You have no idea how inane the "Carrie" remake is until you've actually had to listen to the dialog for 15 minutes. :eek: