PDA

View Full Version : Teenage gunman attacks German school, kills 15

Gingersnap
03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Teenage gunman attacks German school, kills 15

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03am EDT

9:34am EDTBy Hendrik Sackmann

http://i43.tinypic.com/2945f92.jpg

WINNENDEN, Germany (Reuters) - A 17-year old gunman went on a shooting spree at his former school in southwest Germany on Wednesday, killing up to 15 people before dying himself in a shootout with police, authorities said.

The former student, dressed in black combat gear, entered the school in Winnenden, a town of 27,000 near Stuttgart, at around 9.30 a.m. (3:30 a.m. EDT) and began firing.

He killed nine students and three teachers at the school, as well as one person at a nearby clinic, before fleeing with a hostage in a car. He was killed in a shootout with police.

Two additional passers-by were killed and two policemen seriously injured in the shootout, bringing the total death toll to 16 including the gunman.

It was not clear whether the gunman had been shot by police or taken his own life, Rainer Koeller, a police spokesman in nearby Waiblingen said.

"I've been president of police in Baden-Wuerttemberg for 19 years now, and I can't remember a deed as terrible as this," said Erwin Hetger, police chief in the southwestern state.

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE52A27H20090311)

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd like to know his background and what his motivations were.

ted bailey
03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Teenage gunman attacks German school, kills 15

Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03am EDT

9:34am EDTBy Hendrik Sackmann

http://i43.tinypic.com/2945f92.jpg

WINNENDEN, Germany (Reuters) - A 17-year old gunman went on a shooting spree at his former school in southwest Germany on Wednesday, killing up to 15 people before dying himself in a shootout with police, authorities said.

The former student, dressed in black combat gear, entered the school in Winnenden, a town of 27,000 near Stuttgart, at around 9.30 a.m. (3:30 a.m. EDT) and began firing.

He killed nine students and three teachers at the school, as well as one person at a nearby clinic, before fleeing with a hostage in a car. He was killed in a shootout with police.

Two additional passers-by were killed and two policemen seriously injured in the shootout, bringing the total death toll to 16 including the gunman.

It was not clear whether the gunman had been shot by police or taken his own life, Rainer Koeller, a police spokesman in nearby Waiblingen said.

"I've been president of police in Baden-Wuerttemberg for 19 years now, and I can't remember a deed as terrible as this," said Erwin Hetger, police chief in the southwestern state.

Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE52A27H20090311)

I hate to be the first to bring this up but I believe this is a case for more guns. If kids new that it is very likely that 1 in 4 adults might be carrying heat, it will deter them from doing stupid stuff like this.

PoliCon
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
This has nothing to do with guns at all. It has everything to do with people wanting to be remembered. These idiots see this as their way to stardom and fame. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
This has nothing to do with guns at all. It has everything to do with people wanting to be remembered. These idiots see this as their way to stardom and fame. :rolleyes:

And it is for 15 minutes or so. I'm not usually very interested in censorship of any kind but I'd be okay with a law that levies a very heavy fine against any media outlet that releases the name of a mass murderer who is under 21.

There is no good purpose to be served by giving them posthumous fame and there is a world of difference between the thought processes of a 17 year old and a twenty one year old. If there was no payoff in terms of perverted fame and glory, these people would just become ordinary crackheads or tweakers like all their disaffected friends.

Sonnabend
03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
In February 2002, a 22-year-old gunman killed the headmaster and seriously injured another person in a vocational training establishment he attended at Freising, near Munich.

Two months later, 16 people were killed at a high-school in Erfurt in eastern Germany, by a 19-year-old former student, who then killed himself.

In November 2006, a former student at a vocational school in Lower Saxony in northwestern Germany went a shooting spree in the establishment, injuring 37 people before turning his gun on himself.

Isnt it funny how none of this made the front page?

Oh yeah..forgot..didn't happen in the US. :rolleyes:

Full-Auto
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
But doesn't Germany have restrictive gun laws? I thought draconian laws prevented such tragedies.

Odysseus
03-12-2009, 12:41 AM
But doesn't Germany have restrictive gun laws? I thought draconian laws prevented such tragedies.

Exactly! A disarmed population wasn't supposed to engage in armed violence like us primitive cowboys. They were supposed to surround him and sing a chorus of 99 Luftballoons and he'd just put down his weapons and unilaterally disarm himself. I just don't understand this... :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
03-12-2009, 05:25 AM
The country already has some of the strictest gun laws in the world. Handguns are only on sale to those aged 18 or over, with heavier weapons restricted to those over 21. No weapon can be purchased legally without a firearms ownership licence, which is only available after personal checks.

None of this appears to have prevented a 17-year-old former pupil of Albertville school in Winnenden from going on the rampage. According to Spiegel online, the student's family kept some 18 different weapons at home (http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,612612,00.html). Germany's ZDF TV, quoting police sources, confirmed one of the father's weapons was missing.

and this

His father Jörg K. belongs to a gun club and may face prosecution if it turns out that he didn't keep them sufficiently locked up.

%$#@!! :mad:

Full-Auto
03-12-2009, 10:04 AM
They're talking about doing that here. If someone uses one of your firearms in a crime and against your knowledge, they'll prosecute you - the owner.