PDA

View Full Version : Ala. gunman `cleaned his family out' in rampage

Apocalypse
03-11-2009, 10:09 AM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5ij-ffCs67h8W2pWTh1oTbY0kZkAg

Ala. gunman `cleaned his family out' in rampage
By JESSICA GRESKO and DESIREE HUNTER – 31 minutes ago

SAMSON, Ala. (AP) — Authorities were working Wednesday to learn why a gunman set off on a rampage, killing 10 people across two rural Alabama counties. Grieving residents feared the answers could have been lost when he ended the terror by killing himself.

The shooting was believed to be the worst mass killing by a single gunman in Alabama's history. The gunman's mother, four other relatives and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy were among the dead.

"He cleaned his family out," Coffee County Coroner Robert Preachers said. "We don't know what triggered it."

The shootings happened Tuesday afternoon in a mostly rural area near the Florida border, and were believed to be the work of Michael McLendon, a man in his 20s who lived with his mother and once worked at a local metal plant.

The spree began around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday when McLendon burned down his mother's house in Kinston. Coffee County Sheriff Dave Sutton said McClendon put his mother, Lisa McLendon, on an L-shaped couch, pilled stuff on top of her and set her afire. He said McClendon also shot four dogs at the house.

Then, McLendon drove a dozen miles southeast to Samson, in Geneva County, where he opened fire at a relative's porch, killing three relatives and two others before shooting another relative next door. After, he drove around the town shooting out his car window, killing three more people seemingly at random, authorities said.

One woman was struck down as she walked out of a gas station. Another man was hit while driving. A man was shot in the back as he tried to run away.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i8CbzUeIBWcQ-VUtTTdTnlgX_oqAD96RSO680

Molon Labe
03-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Any word on the type weapon used?

linda22003
03-11-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't think this was meant as an article for hobbyists. :cool:

FlaGator
03-11-2009, 11:14 AM
The world has lost it's mind. We had the minister being killed, then this guy and now they are saying some kid in Germany has lost it and killed a bunch of people...

My sig seems truer every day.

linda22003
03-11-2009, 11:16 AM
So does mine. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I am curious about what set him off, if there is any kind of event that did. Or, if he had some kind of underlying condition, like an undiagnosed brain tumor or encephalitis or something. Or, as is most likely, some kind of combination of social and organic conditions.

enslaved1
03-11-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm thinking Watchmen (the comic, haven't seen the movie yet) where a guy snaps under all the bad news of coming war and kills his kids and himself instead of going through it. Just a knee jerk reaction though. My heart goes out to the remaining family and the community.

Full-Auto
03-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Too bad the scum bag didn't shoot himself before the rampage.