PDA

View Full Version : Funerary Friday

linda22003
03-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Not only is it grey and snowy this morning in the DC area, but we're waiting for a phone call from Pittsburgh to tell us it's time to plan and attend another family funeral.

TOTD: Have you given any thought to your own sendoff? Told relatives what you want to have done? My husband knows I want the full, traditional Episcopal funeral, from "O God, Our Help in Ages Past", down to "The King of Love my Shepherd Is." Are you leaving any instructions for your Big Goodbye?

FlaGator
03-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Today is a bit overcast but that is suppose to clear out by this afternoon. Then sun and temps in the low 80's.

TOTD. I want to be cremated and after that I really don't care what anyone does with the ashes. Whatever anyone needs to do to get through the grief process is fine with me.

Celtic Rose
03-13-2009, 08:29 AM
I'm so glad that it is Friday :D

TOTD: I want to be buried, not cremated

Space Gravy
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Cold and Rainy today. Bleh. Supposed to be like this all weekend.

TOTD: I'd like to be cremated. Funerals are for the survivors. I'm really not interested in being involved in the decision of what type of memorial service happens. As far as I'm concerned that's the mourners call on how they want to deal with my passing. At that point I don't think I'll care.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 08:51 AM
chill morning . . . .

TOTD: Not only do they know how I will be burried - who will perform the service - we have burial plots already as well. :)

asdf2231
03-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Cremation and my ashes scattered in a small service at Devil's Lake.

:)

bijou
03-13-2009, 09:29 AM
chill morning . . . .

TOTD: Not only do they know how I will be burried - who will perform the service - we have burial plots already as well. :)

Are you Roland Burris in real life? :D

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Are you Roland Burris in real life? :D

Do you have your funeral arrangements prepared? :mad::p

Seriously though - my services and my grave are already arranged and in writing. The casket, the funeral home, the vault, and the opening of the grave are the only expenses left to be covered - and as far as they go - I'd be happy with a pine box and being laid out at the church.

gator
03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
I am in Indiana attending a funeral now. On Monday we got word that my wife's Mom died unexpectedly. Today will be the viewing and Saturday will be the funeral.

My Mother in Law was a wonderful person. She was the most loving, caring and unselfish person I have ever met in my life. The funeral will be a celebration of her life and will be well suited for the people she left behind.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Gator - your family has my prayers.

megimoo
03-13-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm so glad that it is Friday :D

TOTD: I want to be buried, not crematedWhy ?To me ashes to ashes as quickly as possible instead of being on display where none can see you while you rot away in decaying splendor.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 10:36 AM
It's sad that the Christian church has lost the understanding of why alters were/are/should be built on the bones of martyrs.

megimoo
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Cremation and my ashes scattered in a small service at Devil's Lake.

:)Bad choice. Make him come and get you !

FlaGator
03-13-2009, 10:58 AM
I am in Indiana attending a funeral now. On Monday we got word that my wife's Mom died unexpectedly. Today will be the viewing and Saturday will be the funeral.

My Mother in Law was a wonderful person. She was the most loving, caring and unselfish person I have ever met in my life. The funeral will be a celebration of her life and will be well suited for the people she left behind.

My God be with you and your family and give you comfort in your grief.

John 11:33-35

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. “Where have you laid him?” he asked.

“Come and see, Lord,” they replied.

Jesus wept.

FlaGator
03-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Bad choice. Make him come and get you !

Now that's funny.

bijou
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Sorry to hear that gator, my condolences to you and your wife.

noonwitch
03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
It's sunny here, and a little warmer. It's supposed to get into the 50s over the weekend.

TOTD: It depends on whether I die old or young. If I'm old, as I don't have any kids, it wouldn't make sense to have a big, grand funeral for the 10 people who will attend. If I were to die tomorrow in a freak accident or crime, lots of people would attend-my family, coworkers, kids I work with, church friends, and other close friends.

Either way, I want to be buried at Grand Lawn cemetary in Detroit, with my dad's family. I don't want to be cremated, although everyone else in my family wants that for themselves. Grand Lawn is a pretty cemetary, with lots of trees.

bijou
03-13-2009, 12:16 PM
It's sunny here, and a little warmer. It's supposed to get into the 50s over the weekend.

TOTD: It depends on whether I die old or young. If I'm old, as I don't have any kids, it wouldn't make sense to have a big, grand funeral for the 10 people who will attend. If I were to die tomorrow in a freak accident or crime, lots of people would attend-my family, coworkers, kids I work with, church friends, and other close friends.

Either way, I want to be buried at Grand Lawn cemetary in Detroit, with my dad's family. I don't want to be cremated, although everyone else in my family wants that for themselves. Grand Lawn is a pretty cemetary, with lots of trees.

If you are buried in Detroit you'll be able to vote for all eternity. ;)

noonwitch
03-13-2009, 12:35 PM
If you are buried in Detroit you'll be able to vote for all eternity. ;)

I sometimes wonder if my name is still on the lists in Detroit, even though I moved to Warren in 2001 and registered to vote there.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I sometimes wonder if my name is still on the lists in Detroit, even though I moved to Warren in 2001 and registered to vote there.

you can always check. They are public records . . . .

ralph wiggum
03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Sorry to hear the news, Gator.

lacarnut
03-13-2009, 05:22 PM

Sorry to hear that; may God bless you and your family.

JB
03-13-2009, 06:32 PM
...You use too many commas. And incorrectly.

linda22003
03-13-2009, 06:44 PM
You use too many commas. And incorrectly.

Not in this thread. You started a sentence with "and". :p

JB
03-13-2009, 06:46 PM
Not in this thread. You started a sentence with "and". :pDon't let that deflect you from the issue at hand.

And "and" and "but" are now acceptable words to start sentences with. ;)

Gingersnap
03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Not only is it grey and snowy this morning in the DC area, but we're waiting for a phone call from Pittsburgh to tell us it's time to plan and attend another family funeral.

TOTD: Have you given any thought to your own sendoff? Told relatives what you want to have done? My husband knows I want the full, traditional Episcopal funeral, from "O God, Our Help in Ages Past", down to "The King of Love my Shepherd Is." Are you leaving any instructions for your Big Goodbye?

Yep, that's my plan. I have specified the the 1928 BCP service. I will become compost with an attractive and cogent marker. There will be no lame eulogy and no multi-media life-in-review for me. The music will be traditional. I will have the traditional graveside service (and I will have a grave).

I can't actually make them wear black or use modesty but I will do what I can from beyond the grave.:p

movie buff
03-13-2009, 09:14 PM
TOTD: Here are some things I'd like for my sendoff:
1. I'd prefer to be buried, rather than cremated.
2. One of the hymns to be sung at the service must be 'Lord of the Dance' (My all- time favorite hymn).
3. If hypothetically I was martyred for my Christian faith (Don't worry, I'm not a missionary in Egypt or anything, this is just in case), a contemporary song I'd like to have played at the funeral or the memorial afterwards would by 'Carry Me High,' by Rebecca St. James.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I will do what I can from beyond the grave.:pMy wife already knows should I die before her that expect her to spend the rest of her life as a suitbly grieving widow or I will haunt her ass!:mad:

megimoo
03-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Yep, that's my plan. I have specified the the 1928 BCP service. I will become compost with an attractive and cogent marker. There will be no lame eulogy and no multi-media life-in-review for me. The music will be traditional. I will have the traditional graveside service (and I will have a grave).

I can't actually make them wear black or use modesty but I will do what I can from beyond the grave.:p
I'm confused, you will become compose as in the instant brand or after several years of decay ?
You will also have a traditional plot with a marker ? Tasteful readings from common prayers and traditional music ?

For myself I favor cremation and the ashes buried in flowered patch in the back orchard .I will provide fertil soil for any number of weeds and a few flowers.

Gingersnap
03-14-2009, 09:56 AM
You will also have a traditional plot with a marker ? Tasteful readings from common prayers and traditional music ?

That's the plan. I've many, many happy hours walking in cemeteries and admiring the markers and horticulture. Doing my part to preserve those open spaces is the least I can do.

All the little Commies in future generations will have to have some place to walk outdoors.

Bubba Dawg
03-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I'd like my ashes to be shot out of a cannon that is a part of a public performance of the 1812 Overture.

megimoo
03-14-2009, 10:22 AM
That's the plan. I've many, many happy hours walking in cemeteries and admiring the markers and horticulture. Doing my part to preserve those open spaces is the least I can do.

All the little Commies in future generations will have to have some place to walk outdoors.
I agree.One of the best places to read are cemetery's under a tree on a hot day with a wicker basket of wine,bread and a fine cheese.

I've been known to fall asleep and awaken to a funeral going on right down the road.I must have startled some of the mourners with my early rising from the dead judging by the startled looks some of them gave me .

You could even opt for a high tech. talking Tombstone with a proximity detector and solar panel battery charger so that you could read a bit of Yeats' "Sailing to Byzantium" to the passers bye and every day at three to the delight of the long dead !

linda22003
03-15-2009, 06:22 AM

We got the call yesterday, so we're leaving for Pittsburgh this morning. :(

Shannon
03-15-2009, 08:02 AM

Sorry to hear that.:(

Space Gravy
03-15-2009, 08:05 AM

I'm sorry to hear that too.

BSR
03-15-2009, 08:18 PM

My condolences.