PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart's Whites-Only Stores

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Right...

Actually, Hispanic-only stores:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bd371350-0f2c-11de-ba10-0000779fd2ac.html

Imagine if a retailer or anyone else said, "we're going to target the white market."

That would be "racist."

But if it's Hispanics, than it's "doing good business"!

linda22003
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't see anything that says whites can't shop there. I just see a catering to Hispanic tastes, like having a tortilleria. What would a "white food" focus be? Bologna on Wonder Bread, with Miracle Whip? :p

noonwitch
03-13-2009, 12:32 PM
All retailers study the demographics of the areas around their store and try to appeal to the people in the neighborhood. Wal Mart is just being honest about it.

CueSi
03-13-2009, 12:41 PM
All retailers study the demographics of the areas around their store and try to appeal to the people in the neighborhood. Wal Mart is just being honest about it.

That's about the size of it. When I worked near Disney, the Walmart there had British items due to the large expat British population.

Maybe that WAS the whites only store. . .:p

~QC

asdf2231
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I guess they should just carry WASP products and that would scare all them Messikins away.
Then White people could shop at WalMart without gittin all them "Demongraphics" stuff all over 'em.

I live in a lilly white portion of the country and the stores CATER to that demographic the same way they do everywhere else.

Minorities exist. You either deal with it or move to a compound in Montana with a bunch of guys wearing prison ink.

PoliCon
03-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I purposefully avoid stores that have bilingual signs. They get to go after what ever customers they like - I get to take my business elsewhere. I could care less what nationality anyone is - but they damn well better speak the language if they are going to live here. :mad:

noonwitch
03-13-2009, 01:49 PM
That's about the size of it. When I worked near Disney, the Walmart there had British items due to the large expat British population.

Maybe that WAS the whites only store. . .:p

~QC

When I worked at K-Mart, they definitely had different merchandise in different stores, depending on the area. The Kalamazoo store had more college-student type of items because it was close to WMU's campus. The (now defunct) Grand Rapids/Kentwood store had more upscale stuff-like the Jaclyn Smith clothes, which were originally tested in the higher-end stores, and are now at all the stores. The Grand Rapids store that used to be in a neighborhood with more black people sold canned ham hocks and pigs' feet, which the Kentwood store didn't sell. This was before the advent of Super Ks (which K-Mart should never have started, because they can't compete with Wal Mart and Meijer on grocery prices), and none of these stores sold regular groceries, just staple foods like you would find at Walgreen's.

In Kalamazoo, I worked in the apparel department. We sent all our clearance merchandise to Benton Harbor, because it would sell there (a poor community, even in the 80s). Out of all the stores mentioned, the Kalamazoo/Stadium Drive K-Mart is the only one still in business, now.

Even little things-in Kalamazoo, we had the traditional, nasty cafeteria in back and a stand in front that sold frozen cokes, popcorn and deli sandwiches (college student appeal, again). The Kentwood store had a grill in the back that sold burgers and sandwiches, but no prepared, hot dishes. It was strictly short-order cooking, and the only people who really ate meals there were employees, and the few customers who took the bus to the store.

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't see anything that says whites can't shop there.

The KKK supply store also might not exclude blacks. But will they be excited to go?

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2009, 02:37 PM
What would a "white food" focus be? Bologna on Wonder Bread, with Miracle Whip?

Italian food? French food? German food?

Hate white people much, linda?

Funny how on a "conservative" chat board, you encounter as much white-bashing as you do on DU.

linda22003
03-13-2009, 02:39 PM

I am the whitest person you have ever seen; almost blindingly so. I'm completely English and Scottish in background, and I know what our culinary limitations can be. :p

linda22003
03-13-2009, 02:40 PM
The KKK supply store also might not exclude blacks. But will they be excited to go?

You're pretty easily intimidated if you won't go inside because they have burritos. :rolleyes:

asdf2231
03-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I am the whitest person you have ever seen; almost blindingly so. I'm completely English and Scottish in background, and I know what our culinary limitations can be. :p

if you were any Whiter we would be calling you "Casper".

:D

asdf2231
03-13-2009, 03:35 PM

Funny how on a "conservative" chat board, you encounter as much white-bashing as you do on DU.

It's because they piss us off so bad with their Light Beer and their Chicken Dance and the whole slavery thing.

That's why we buy guns for inner city blacks. :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
03-13-2009, 03:39 PM
It's called target marketing. I can see you never took economics.

SecretOperative
03-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I was shopping at a local Walmart up the hill in Federal Way, WA when I heard them play their announcements over the PA System in both english and spanish. I haven't been back since.

Hate to feel like a visitor in my own country. Makes me wanna scream....SPEAK THE LANGUAGE! (HABLE LA LENGUA!)

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Hate to feel like a visitor in my own country.

What I hate worse is that if you say this, everyone starts wailing that you're a racist hate-monger.

Hugh Lincoln
03-13-2009, 04:05 PM
It's called target marketing.

Raises interesting issues, doesn't it?

Because they say on the one hand, "we're all one race, the human race." "we're all equal, we're not different." "you can't make assumptions."

On the other hand they do this, and liberals don't say anything. Want the "Latino Mart"? That's great, say liberals. But if something is "targetted" to whites... IT'S A FLIPPING LAWSUIT!!!

We get a lot of mixed messages on race and ethnicity in America.

It pretty much boils down to this:

If you say "white power," they send the federal government to kill you.
If you say "black power," they send the federal government to give you a grant.

Sonnabend
03-13-2009, 04:51 PM
We get a lot of mixed messages on race and ethnicity in America.

Because the US, like many other nations, is a nation of immigrants of all walks of life.

It pretty much boils down to this:

If you say "white power," they send the federal government to kill you.
If you say "black power," they send the federal government to give you a grant.

And if you say your name is Hugh Lincoln, you're an idiot.

Troll.

JB
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
It's called target marketing. I can see you never took economics.Actually, they don't teach market segmentation or demographics in economics. Not in an economics class worth anything.

They teach marketing in Marketing class.

CueSi
03-13-2009, 11:41 PM

Okay, you are now more officially butthurt about race than most black people.

It was a joke. Christ.

Almost every store carries rudimentary portions of the cuisines you mention. For more specialized items, they may have to make a drive.

Some last notes about "White Power"; you've been cordial. I probably MIGHT get along with you on a certain level. But I guess the collectivism that the phrase represents gets my Individual hackles up,and makes my inner Ayn Rand go get something to protect myself.From where I stand: White Power makes me about as nervous as Black Power does. Much race based collectivism makes me nervous. I guess what I want to know if you're some sort of White Seperatist, or you're just an advocate for the white collective...if you are, I guess what you may figure out is. . .some whites don't want an advocate. They're just fine mixing and doing whatever with their fellows w/o you.

~QC

Sonnabend
03-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Actually, they don't teach market segmentation or demographics in economics. Not in an economics class worth anything.

Yes, they do, especially in a module on economics as related to small business management, revenue generation, profit and loss. It was in another module as well, on the sale and purchase of businesses, and establishing clientele.

They teach marketing in Marketing class.

If you cannot market your product, you have no revenue stream, hence no revenue, hence no business. one good example is starting a shop or business in an area with an established competitor.

In this context, the concept of "goodwill" is an essential component..and target marketing is a method by which you ensure that what you are selling remains an in demand item.

E.g a newsagent with an established clientele has a "goodwill" factor, as this represents basic cash flow.

No, just you.

Moon
03-14-2009, 06:35 AM

What "white-bashing"? What I've seen is you trying to make the case against Walmart catering to a specific region, and no one jumping on your bandwagon. How does that constitute "white-bashing"?

Sonnabend
03-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Just for Hugh

I am having potato salad made by my Greek neighbour, tomorrow night I am having Chinese food and the night after that, two of my Thai friends are coming over to make me dinner, we will drink a wonderful bottle of German white wine....and laugh at you the entire time.

For lunch Monday, I think i will have teppanyaki or even beef teriyaki, made at the Japanese restaurant nearby.

None for you.:D

Moon
03-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Just for Hugh

I am having potato salad made by my Greek neighbour, tomorrow night I am having Chinese food and the night after that, two of my Thai friends are coming over to make me dinner, we will drink a wonderful bottle of German white wine....and laugh at you the entire time.

For lunch Monday, I think i will have teppanyaki or even beef teriyaki, made at the Japanese restaurant nearby.

None for you.:D

You white-basher!

Lanie
03-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Markets do target the white people. Ever been in the Barbie/Bratz section? Anybody look in the Baby Doll Section? Hardly any blacks in any of them, much less Hispanics. What the heck is Taco Bell anyway? I'll tell you what it's not. It's not Mexican. That place is targeting white and probably black Americans. Did you know that Dr. Pepper tastes different in India? That's because the people there like it different. I keep thinking most products are already aiming to please white people.

Lanie
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
It's called target marketing. I can see you never took economics.

True, and it's not just about race. It's also about different cultures. I've seen targeting of races, cultures, age groups, military people (in Fayetteville), college kids (near colleges), and others. One reason a retailer asks for your zip code at times is so they can send information back to the company about what type of product is high in demand in their area. If a Mexican looking dress is high in demand in a city because that city has a lot of Mexicans, then the company will send more of them to that area.

lacarnut
03-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Walleymart or any business can cater to who they want to but what aggrevates me is the crappy hip hop or rock music that they play.

Shannon
03-14-2009, 03:29 PM
There is a certain Wal-Mart in my general area that I refuse to shop at. ( I KNOW that's incorrect, Linda) All of the TVs have Spanish channels playing and they look at you strangely when you speak English. I much prefer Target.

linda22003
03-14-2009, 04:34 PM
It's so nice to be remembered even when I'm not around. :D

asdf2231
03-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Walleymart or any business can cater to who they want to but what aggrevates me is the crappy hip hop or rock music that they play.

Which is funny Lac, because I thought you were like, the OG of white guy Rap fans. :D

lacarnut
03-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Which is funny Lac, because I thought you were like, the OG of white guy Rap fans. :D

Naw, R & B. , Willie, Hag, bluegrass, dixieland jazz, cajun, and a little classical is more my style. :)

PoliCon
03-14-2009, 07:43 PM
The only thing worse than rap - is bluegrass! :shudder:

asdf2231
03-14-2009, 07:43 PM
What "white-bashing"? What I've seen is you trying to make the case against Walmart catering to a specific region, and no one jumping on your bandwagon. How does that constitute "white-bashing"?

Why do you hate America Moon?

:p

lacarnut
03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
The only thing worse than rap - is bluegrass! :shudder:

Different strokes for different folks.

Fergus
03-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Yes, they do, especially in a module on economics as related to small business management, revenue generation, profit and loss. It was in another module as well, on the sale and purchase of businesses, and establishing clientele.

If you cannot market your product, you have no revenue stream, hence no revenue, hence no business. one good example is starting a shop or business in an area with an established competitor.

In this context, the concept of "goodwill" is an essential component..and target marketing is a method by which you ensure that what you are selling remains an in demand item.

E.g a newsagent with an established clientele has a "goodwill" factor, as this represents basic cash flow.

No, just you.

What???

I love it when you overstep your intelligence, (not hard to do), and then you try to claw and scrape your way back to pertinence. God jesus you are a knuckle dragging dope.

What is your next step, sending over a funny and obscure jpg that mocks me? Please, I'm begging you, send me a reply that marginalizes me with a shrug and an offhand comment! I'd throughly enjoy being "Sonnabend'ed".

Make fun of my speeling!

Sonnabend
03-14-2009, 11:47 PM
What???

I love it when you overstep your intelligence, (not hard to do), and then you try to claw and scrape your way back to pertinence. God jesus you are a knuckle dragging dope.

..and your response to my points on economics is...?

What is your next step, sending over a funny and obscure jpg that mocks me? Please, I'm begging you, send me a reply that marginalizes me with a shrug and an offhand comment! I'd throughly enjoy being "Sonnabend'ed".

Make fun of my speeling!

Nah. You're too boring.

Moon
03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Why do you hate America Moon?

:p

It's what I do.

:D