PDA

View Full Version : Monday. Why so serious?!

asdf2231
03-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Very warm here today with some sunshine. An obvious ploy to get us to let our guard down so that our spirits can be crushed by more snow. :D Seriously this winter has seemed endless.

Went and saw "Watchmen" in the theater last night with my two best friends. We roomed together in college and wound up living in the same small town (which none of us originated from) with our kids all attending school in the same grades. We were thrown together in the dorm room mosh pit 20 years ago this fall and went from there to a rented house with us 3 and 2 other guys.

They are not only my best friends but two of my oldest.

Here's the funny thing. One is a died in the wool social democrat who sports Obama gear and the other is a musician type who still writes in Nader at Presidential elections. And then theres me, lol.

We have been through so much over two decades of shared life that politics have never come between us.

TOTD

Do you have close friends whose political or social views are 180 degrees from yours? How do you get around that and stay close? Or is it never an issue?

FlaGator
03-16-2009, 07:35 AM
Nice day here but it looks like rain tonight. We need the rain and with it happening after dark it might have some time to soak in.

TOTD My oldest brother, who I am close to, is a lib of nearly DU caliber and a deist to boot. We have some topics that we don't delve in to deeply, religion is one of these. We have also had some greatly arguments/discussions loudly and in public concerning global warming. He's loud because he has one of those voices that carry. It works out great because everyone can hear and see him as he waxes moonbat and all they see of me is replying calmly with a smug look on my face. In the end, however, we enjoy a lot of the same things, music, food and entertaining conversation so we don't hold each make too big an issue out of our differing political views. We don't do the DU thing of disowning each other over what is basically a difference of opinion. That's just plain ignorant.

PoliCon
03-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Went and saw "Watchmen" in the theater last night with my two best friends. We roomed together in college and wound up living in the same small town . . . .And did you three enjoy all the blue sausage or were you like my friends and I who ended up wincing and throwing up hands after a while?:p

TOTD

Do you have close friends whose political or social views are 180 degrees from yours? How do you get around that and stay close? Or is it never an issue? I have friends from many different backgrounds and with many different views on issues - but by and large - most of my closest and dearest friends came to the same political views I did - albeit from different paths. I do have a couple of friends who are idiots - I mean - leftists:o - and well we just avoid discussing political topics most of the time. Worse is my family. My mother is a feminazi leftist. My one aunt is a commie bitch - her husband is the king of all racists. I have cousins that are total hippies. We figured out about 15 years ago that the only way to have civil family gatherings is to ban certain topics from the conversation. My idea really. I got tired of the Commie Bitch aunt saying really stupid stuff about religion trying to pick fights.:rolleyes:

Gingersnap
03-16-2009, 08:55 AM
It will be warm and clear out here. It's time to get serious about the yard.

TOTD: Most of my friends are also conservative. I have a few relatives who aren't but they generally don't bring up politics or lifestyle in conversation since they are continuously digging themselves out of one lifestyle catastrophe or another.