PDA

View Full Version : Large Hadron Collider Enables Hunt For 'God' Particle...

The Night Owl
05-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Soon...

Large Hadron Collider Enables Hunt For 'God' Particle To Complete 'Theory Of Everything'

ScienceDaily (May 29, 2008) When the world's most powerful subatomic particle collider begins gathering data this summer, it will be a major milestone for a number of University of Washington scientists.

The UW, led by professors Henry Lubatti in physics and Colin Daly in mechanical engineering, played a central role in designing and fabricating nearly 90,000 tubes that are key to the workings of the Atlas detector. Atlas is one of six particle physics experiments that are part of the Large Hadron Collider at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, known as CERN, near Geneva, Switzerland.

Physicists the world over are hoping that Atlas will help unlock some deep scientific mysteries and perhaps even lead to discovery of the Higgs boson, sometimes called "the God particle" because it is believed its discovery will refine the understanding of exactly how the universe came to be and how it functions, and how mass came to be in the first place.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080527200600.htm

Sonnabend
05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
What the FUCK makes you think we want you here?

Get lost.

The Night Owl
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM

Get lost.

Hi. Gator says that any NUer is welcome here... so here I am.

Sonnabend
05-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Others, yes, you, NO.

The Night Owl
05-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Others, yes, you, NO.

Like I said, Gator said that "any" NUer is welcome here. His word, not mine. I assume that Gator means what he says.

Can we talk about the Hadron Collider now that the formalities are out of the way?

DarkHalo
05-31-2008, 01:26 AM
How many times did I ban you over at NU nite owl? :rolleyes:

Sonnabend
05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Like I said, Gator said that "any" NUer is welcome here. His word, not mine. I assume that Gator means what he says.

And I say you are not welcome here, we don't want you here, user the browsers back button, and piss off.

Can we talk about the Hadron Collider now that the formalities are out of the way?You have nothing to say that any of us wish to hear.

Eyelids
05-31-2008, 04:29 AM
Sonnabend is just a bigoted old loon, ignore him.

I'm pretty excited about this experiment.

megimoo
05-31-2008, 08:35 AM

Get lost.
Oh joy, first Eyeball and now Little woodsie owl ,it must be the childrens hour .
It's like a having a fungus between the toes that never completely goes away ,Little kids playing with mommies computer !

Sonnabend
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Oh goodie...my favourite chew toy is back :D:D

The Night Owl
05-31-2008, 10:21 AM
How many times did I ban you over at NU nite owl? :rolleyes:

Zero times. Do I get a prize?

LogansPapa
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Despite the ignorance being exibited by some on this thread, I'd like to hear the details of this project and how some of the largest machines on Earth are use to find some of the smallest things in the cosmos.

The Night Owl
05-31-2008, 10:39 AM
Despite the ignorance being exibited by some on this thread, I'd like to hear the details of this project and how some of the largest machines on Earth are use to find some of the smallest things in the cosmos.

If you search for "Large Hadron Collider" at YouTube, you can find a lot of great videos about it.

LogansPapa
05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
If you search for "Large Hadron Collider" at YouTube, you can find a lot of great videos about it.

Thanks. I will do just that.:)

The Night Owl
05-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm pretty excited about this experiment.

You should be excited about the LHC. Everyone should be excited about it. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the experiments to be conducted using the LHC are the most important experiments mankind has ever conducted.

LogansPapa
05-31-2008, 10:47 AM
You should be excited about the LHC. Everyone should be excited about it. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the experiments to be conducted using the LHC are the most important experiments mankind has ever conducted.

If it's like the other projects - it may tell us how 'stuff' is held together and maybe a new source of energy?

The Night Owl
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks. I will do just that.:)

Just ignore the guy saying that the LHC is designed to punch a hole in the Van Allen Belt so that Satan and his minions can descend from Niburu to defeat mankind and do battle with God at Armageddon.

LogansPapa
05-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Just ignore the guy saying that the LHC is designed to punch a hole in the Van Allen Belt so that Satan and his minions can descend from Niburu to defeat mankind and do battle with God at Armageddon.

Okay. Now that's funny stuff right there - like when trains first crossed the 17 m.p.h. barrier, which some folks said would suck the air right out of the lungs of a human being.

:p

The Night Owl
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
If it's like the other projects - it may tell us how 'stuff' is held together and maybe a new source of energy?

I'm not sure what practical applications knowledge gained from LHC tests will have, but they may provide answers to some of the biggest questions which have been eluding science. If all goes well this summer, scientists will start using the LHC to...

1. ...confirm the existence of the most fundamental particles making up our Universe.

2. ...gain evidence for the theory of why objects have mass.

3. ...simulate what happened less than one billionth of a second after the Big Bang... closer than scientists have ever come.

4. ...collect the data necessary to formulate a unified theory of the Universe.

The Wiki entry on the LHC is a good place to start learning about the various tests to be run at Cern.

The Night Owl
06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
A Christian perspective on the LHC...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4273221081018284107&q=hadron&ei=ejhHSNqKKI6ArgLI1-CxDA&hl=en

megimoo
06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
A Christian perspective on the LHC...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4273221081018284107&q=hadron&ei=ejhHSNqKKI6ArgLI1-CxDA&hl=enAll it will prove is that there are even smaller and more fundmental particles .
To equate particles and fleas:
Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.
A Budget of Paradoxes.
Jonathan Swift: Poetry, a Rhapsody.]

Vepr
06-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Hopefully they do not create a black hole. :eek: ;)

megimoo
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Hopefully they do not create a black hole. :eek: ;)A black hole requires more mass than there is in our entire solar system !

Vepr
06-04-2008, 11:11 PM
After my last trip to the beach I think there is mass to spare right here on earth. :eek: :) I have also heard there is some debate on how small a black holes can be and how long lived smaller black holes are etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/science/29blac.html?ex=1269752400&en=071aad518c3a603a&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Kind of cool.

megimoo
06-04-2008, 11:37 PM
After my last trip to the beach I think there is mass to spare right here on earth. :eek: :) I have also heard there is some debate on how small a black holes can be and how long lived smaller black holes are etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/29/science/29blac.html?ex=1269752400&en=071aad518c3a603a&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland

Kind of cool.In order to form an singularity , Stars above about 20 solar masses may collapse to form black holes and all black holes have a singularity at their core !

Vepr
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
In order to form an singularity , Stars above about 20 solar masses may collapse to form black holes and all black holes have a singularity at their core !

I know there is no chance of them creating of a true black hole or even a small one that would even register any mass but I am a firm believer in the law of unintended consequences. :D