PDA

View Full Version : Control

johns777
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
If one considers controlling another a success, then may we consider that one as suffering from a psychosis?

Gingersnap
03-17-2009, 02:52 PM
What? Are you equating the concept of 'success" with the diagnosis of "psychotic"? I think you need to really clarify your question and your point here. :confused:

EricMartin
03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Exercising control over one's own life, and control over material resources, is admirable. Controlling one's own children to some extent is a necessity. Controlling other people though? Here's some good quotes on that.

"The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of men."
- Ayn Rand

I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others.
- Thomas Jefferson

The need to control other people is probably a result of having poor self-esteem -- it's a sort of second-handedness, to feel an urge to measure yourself against others and force them to act against their will. A person of good mental health is independent and self-reliant.

PoliCon
03-17-2009, 03:03 PM
I say no. Control in itself is not a problem at all - obsession with control is.

johns777
03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
What? Are you equating the concept of 'success" with the diagnosis of "psychotic"? I think you need to really clarify your question and your point here. :confused:
LOL naw

Gingersnap
03-17-2009, 03:21 PM
LOL naw

Then there's no way to answer to your proposition. Generals control armies, employers control employees, teachers control students, coaches control players and teams, and so on. Some kinds of control are useful and some aren't.

Rebel Yell
03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Then there's no way to answer to your proposition. Generals control armies, employers control employees, teachers control students, coaches control players and teams, and so on. Some kinds of control are useful and some aren't.

But that would alter the needed outcome of his little experiment.

Constitutionally Speaking
03-17-2009, 04:21 PM
If one considers controlling another a success, then may we consider that one as suffering from a psychosis?

Good enough reason to dump every single Democrat and most of the Republicans.

Obama's stimulus is ALL about controlling the private sector.

FlaGator
03-17-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm not answering this poll and you can't make me.

PoliCon
03-17-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm not answering this poll and you can't make me.oh yes I can!! I'm telling Shannon that you won't answer the poll! SHANNON!!! Just you wait!!:p