PDA

View Full Version : Learning

johns777
03-17-2009, 03:26 PM
If being open to other possibilities is the primary requirement to learning and I choose to believe anything without being open to other possibilities, then have I voluntarily limited my capacity to learn?

Molon Labe
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes.
It was one of the core principles of Allan Bloom's "the Closing of the American Mind".

Also a concept of J.S Mills liberty principle. That you could only refute something as false once you knew an alternative to some self evident belief.

Rebel Yell
03-17-2009, 03:33 PM
OK, John, what's the end game? How are you planning on enlightening us to the liberals are perfectly sane geniuses and conservatives are psychotic retards way of thinking?

Molon Labe
03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
OK, John, what's the end game? How are you planning on enlightening us to the liberals are perfectly sane geniuses and conservatives are psychotic retards way of thinking?

The problem with this thread being turned into a way for some progressive to argue the "open minded" B.S. is that none of their concepts require one to think outside the box. Collectivist garbage is quite old and closed minded.

Lars1701a
03-17-2009, 03:47 PM
I learned something new this weekend

Chinese food and food bought at a hockey game can create some epic ropes.:D

EricMartin
03-17-2009, 03:48 PM
If being open to other possibilities is the primary requirement to learning and I choose to believe anything without being open to other possibilities, then have I voluntarily limited my capacity to learn?

Most conservatives aren't advocating things like free market capitalism simply because it's old -- they're doing it because it's true. Many conservatives are, in fact, classical liberals and strongly influenced by F. A. Hayek -- Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher certainly were. As Ayn Rand put it;

"Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries."

The liberals are advocating the backwards collectivism which is rooted in the Dark Ages, while the conservatives are advocating individualism -- the product of the Age of Enlightenment.

P.S. There are of course many exceptions to this -- conservative politicians are far from perfect, but they are in fact more "progressive" than the backwards and nihilistic liberals.

MrsSmith
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM

Yes, but your mind can't be so open that it falls out.

Molon Labe
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Most conservatives aren't advocating things like free market capitalism simply because it's old -- they're doing it because it's true. Many conservatives are, in fact, classical liberals and strongly influenced by F. A. Hayek -- Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher certainly were. As Ayn Rand put it;

"Intellectual freedom cannot exist without political freedom; political freedom cannot exist without economic freedom; a free mind and a free market are corollaries."

The liberals are advocating the backwards collectivism which is rooted in the dark ages, while the conservatives are advocating individualism -- the product of the Age of Enlightenment.

P.S. There are of course many exceptions to this -- conservative politicians are far from perfect, but they are in fact more "progressive" than the backwards and nihilistic liberals.

Yep....that about sums it up.

It would seem since the Hayek free marketers got the economic downturn right You'd think the progressives would LEARN something. But they just fall back in line with the spend yourself into oblivious prosperity.

What was the OP again? Learning new things and changing our ways?

Maybe Obama reads Hayek too. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
03-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Again, this is meaningless without some kind of context. Learning is simply a process, not an end. Some kinds of learning proceed faster and more accurately within tightly controlled settings (think target shooting or chess) while other kinds of learning depend on open-ended experiential trials. Most kinds of learning use both methods.

Lanie
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Being willing to learn does require having an open mind to new ideas. This would include ideas that are considered to be old fashioned, but are new to you.

If you find that your hypothesis did not work out, then part of the learning process is admitting you're wrong.

The next step to learning is to say something totally stupid because you're braindead on a message board while picking your nose.

I just wanted to throw some random stuff in there.

palerider
03-18-2009, 05:02 AM
I think wanting to know is the primary requisite to learning. Being open is certainly important once the study begins, but wanting to know is what initiates the process.

Moon
03-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Again, this is meaningless without some kind of context. Learning is simply a process, not an end. Some kinds of learning proceed faster and more accurately within tightly controlled settings (think target shooting or chess) while other kinds of learning depend on open-ended experiential trials. Most kinds of learning use both methods.

I think wanting to know is the primary requisite to learning. Being open is certainly important once the study begins, but wanting to know is what initiates the process.

Bingo!