PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night! The Official Night Thread.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 07:22 PM
I've had an extremely bad week. I"m stuck driving for The Brat tomorrow. Amuse me, people.:D

Shannon
06-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I just noticed that the last three replies in The Lounge were from me. It really is all about me...or I'm pathetic.:p

Shannon
06-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Y'all are going to be without me for like an entire day! I want amusement, dammit..and I want it now! (I also don't want to be the last poster in 3 threads. Help me :o)

megimoo
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Y'all are going to be without me for like an entire day! I want amusement, dammit..and I want it now! (I also don't want to be the last poster in 3 threads. Help me :o)Have some soup .Just about as old midwest as they get !

Albondigas(Mexican meatballs) soup or with chili gravy
Albondigas (Meatballs)
Although albondigas (Mexican meatballs) are usually served in soup, they make a nice appetizer or main dish , too.

* 1-1/2 pounds ground pork
* 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
* 2 large or 3 small garlic cloves, minced or put through a garlic press
* 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped
* 1/2 tsp ground coriander or coriander seed, toasted and ground
* 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons Masa Harina
* 1 large egg
* 2 quarts chicken broth or 2 cups Chili Gravy

Combine the ground pork with the onion, garlic, chiles, coriander, pepper, oregano, chili powder and salt, mixing well. Beat the Masa Harina into the egg until well incorporated. Then pour egg mixture over meat mixture and combine well.

For soup:
Form the meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a dutch oven or stockpot. Gently lower the meatballs into the broth and bring to a simmer. and add:
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin or 1/2 tsp. cumin seed
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
3 sliced carrots
1/2 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 green pepper, sliced diagonally
1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes, chopped with juice Simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Garnish individual servings with chopped fresh cilantro.

For an appetizer or main dish:
Form the meat mixture into 2-inch balls. In a large skillet, fry the meatballs in 2 tablespoons corn oil, turning until browned on all sides. Remove meatballs from skillet and drain on paper towels. Drain grease from skillet. Return meatballs to skillet, add chili gravy, and simmer briefly until heated through.

Chili Gravy
This chili gravy is indispensable for enchiladas, tamales, and a host of other Tex-Mex dishes.

* 3 tablespoons melted shortening or lard
* 1 medium onion, finely chopped
* 1 large garlic clove, minced or put through a garlic press
* 1 tablespoon bacon drippings
* 1/4 cup good chili powder (preferably Gebhardt’s or your own homemade)
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
* 2 cups beef stock
* 2 cups water
* 1 tablespoon Masa Harina
* salt to taste

Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is softened, but not browned. Stir in the bacon drippings, chili powder, cumin, oregano; then gradually add the beef stock and water, stirring well.

Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Mix the Masa Harina with a few tablespoons of water or the gravy, itself, and stir back into the gravy. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Taste the gravy and add salt only if you think it necessary.

Makes about 4 cups.

Note: A word about chili powder: The most-recommended chili powder in Texas is Gebhardt’s, and for good reason. Also, if you make your own chili powder and can get your hands on some dried chiles pasillas, make some pure ground pasillas, and you’ll have an extraordinary powder for Tex-Mex enchiladas. However, if neither is accessible to you, you can still make perfectly acceptable and delicious Tex-Mex enchiladas with McCormick’s or Durkee’s chili powder, or whatever it is that your store carries. If you know nothing whatsoever of chili powder or chiles, then my instructions to you are very simple: Buy a product called “chili powder” — not cayenne, not crushed red pepper, not ground red pepper

jendf
06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
You're talking to yourself, Shannon. Knock it off. :p

Shannon
06-27-2008, 07:57 PM
and I went shopping today and then I beat the shit out of Jen and then I...

jendf
06-27-2008, 08:00 PM
and I went shopping today and then I beat the shit out of Jen and then I...

So it was you? Because I sure do feel like I've had the crap beaten out of me.

Space Gravy
06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Friday Night (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ClVZfJJzy78)

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Let's get organized people.

Jen - describe your painful interaction and we will rally to your side (whatever side that may be).

Shannon - we need an embarrassing or annoying TOTN.

Moo - more severed body part topics, please.

Get cracking. :D

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:28 PM
So it was you? Because I sure do feel like I've had the crap beaten out of me.

Oh, stop your whining and pull yourself together. Life sucks. Deal with it.:p

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Jen - describe your painful interaction and we will rally to your side (whatever side that may be).

Get cracking. :D

You know I'm terrible at topics.:(

How about...yeah, nothing.:p

megimoo
06-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Severed body parts found at two residences in Greenville

Coroner Parks Evans told GreenvilleOnline.com this afternoon that he can’t tell how two hands and two feet found at two local residences this morning were severed, but that it was unlikely an accident and unlikely to have left the victim alive.
Evans said one hand and one foot were found in a garbage bag at each of two residences this morning -- one on Rose Avenue just off Church Street and the other at Andover Park apartments near Cleveland Street and Faris Road, according to Greenville police.

The people reporting the body parts at each residence are related, said police spokesman Jason Rampey.

Evans said he couldn’t confirm for sure whether the hands and feet come from a single person, though he believes they do in part because there’s a right and a left of each appendage. He said they appear to be from a black person.

Because of where the parts were severed -- the hands at the wrist -- Evans said he also couldn’t tell whether a sawing or single chopping motion was used.

Investigators are hoping that fingerprints will identify who the body parts belong to, Evans said. He said he couldn't tell how long they had been severed.

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:iffQsRdVuLYJ:greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20080407/NEWS01/80407013+severed+bodys+in+the+news&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
You know I'm terrible at topics.:(

How about...yeah, nothing.:p

Uh, okay.......you're not new at this but we seem to have a failure to communicate. Think, woman - there must be some burning question in your mind that is Lounge-worthy. Otherwise we will be reduced to those lame what did you eat/wear/drink thingies.

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM
See? Moo got right with the program. :)

jendf
06-27-2008, 08:37 PM

This week, it's a sinus infection. Last week, it was a car accident that was my fault. Four weeks ago, I discovered that all men are lying, cheating, rotten bastards.

This is my June, people. Tell me it's all going to be okay.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Uh, okay.......you're not new at this but we seem to have a failure to communicate. Think, woman - there must be some burning question in your mind that is Lounge-worthy. Otherwise we will be reduced to those lame what did you eat/wear/drink thingies.

Shall I get scandalous?

hampshirebrit
06-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Y'all are going to be without me for like an entire day! I want amusement, dammit..and I want it now! (I also don't want to be the last poster in 3 threads. Help me :o)

You really are even sadder than I thought... 3 posts in your own thread, followed by a recipe. Jayslijk!!!

While you're at Circuit City or EggHead or wherever it is you little people buy your consumer things, buy the GPS I told you to get, and also get yourself a laptop, and a G3/GPRS receiver, and then, you will truly be good to go.

Plug the G3 into the laptop, wait until the pretty flashing lights turn blue, then dictate to the brat whatever it is you wish to impart to us on CU, have him type it in ,and it will be so....even from a moving car !!!

You can even get voice recognition software for the outbound trip.

The comms charges will cost you a fortune, but CU is worth whatever you'll pay.

Technology is a wonderful thing. You can thank me later for these awesome tips. :D

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:39 PM
This week, it's a sinus infection. Last week, it was a car accident that was my fault. Four weeks ago, I discovered that all men are lying, cheating, rotten bastards.

This is my June, people. Tell me it's all going to be okay.

Yeah, no. It just gets worse from here on out.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
P.S.

Hamp should have passed out by now.

jendf
06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Yeah, no. It just gets worse from here on out.

I knew I could count on you.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
I knew I could count on you.

Would you rather I lie to you? :p

megimoo
06-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Notes near Body Parts in Belgium Linked to Death Note (Updated)

La Dernière Heure, a French daily newspaper in Belgium similar to United Kingdom's The Sun or America's New York Post, reports that two identical messages linked to the Death Note manga were left near severed body parts that were discovered Friday afternoon in the forest of Belgium's Duden Park.
According to the newspaper, the two paper sheets both say "Watashi wa Kira dess," an apparent misspelling of the Japanese phrase "Watashi wa Kira desu," or "I am Kira (Killer)."

"oh no,a Japanese "Watashi wa' seriel killer, the very dangerous kind !"

This is a catchphrase from writer Tsugumi Ooba and artist Takeshi Obata's Death Note suspense manga series, in which a high school boy discovers a notebook which allows him to kill people by writing their names in it.

The lower abdomen and two thighs of an unknown Caucasian male were discovered by walkers in the park Friday at 5:30 p.m. local time, and police sources for the newspaper said that the body parts were left no more than six hours before the discovery.
There was no clothing, personal effects, or identification besides the two paper sheets. The two paper sheets reportedly had the same message, but were written in two different colors with no apparent signs of aging. Duden Park is located on east side of the Senne River Valley.

Belgian police are requesting that anyone who saw suspicious behavior on Friday between 12:30 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. near or at the park to call the Belgian phone number 02/559.80.00.

Update: According to the newspaper, the lower abdomen comes from an unknown Caucasian male, but it is unknown whether the two thighs belong to the same individual. Thank you to woelfie for the news tip.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-10-01/notes-left-near-bodies-in-belgium-linked-to-death-note

hampshirebrit
06-27-2008, 08:47 PM
P.S.

Hamp should have passed out by now.

LOL.

Don't depend on mere time-zones to make that happen.

And surely, if you have a long drive ahead of you, you should be bye-byes by now. :p

asdf2231
06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
We just finished an enormous turkey dinner and the punkin pie is cooling for later!

Had the house to ourselves with no kids all day.

Sitting on the deck with a honeyweis enjoying the sunset.

Today rocked!

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Is it too early to start the Saturday Thread???.....kidding....

I'm gettin gdrunk. Hey Hamp. What's the haps Noble Mon?

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:50 PM
We just finished an enormous turkey dinner and the punkin pie is cooling for later!

Today rocked!

Yeah, nobody cares about your quaint little perfect life. Go away.:D

megimoo
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Body parts found in 8 bags along Interstate

Parts, including severed head, found in eight plastic bags,Parts are believed to belong to one victim
Search involved two interstates, four Pennsylvania counties .

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:aNl1BegCRooJ:www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/30/body.parts.ap/index.html+Severed+body+parts+in+the+news&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=us

jendf
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Today rocked!

Sounds nice. Glad you had a great day.

Don't listen to Shannon. She has no heart.

Shannon
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM

You're about 3 years behind me, my dear.;)

hampshirebrit
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Is it too early to start the Saturday Thread???.....kidding....

I'm gettin gdrunk. Hey Hamp. What's the haps Noble Mon?

Hey, Bubba. Working too hard, been off the grid for two weeks, but otherwise OK. How bout you?

Good to see ya'lls, and it's really good to see CU back on the grid.

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 08:55 PM

The cheating/lying part sounds intriguing. Pics?

Shannon: sure, why not? :D

hampshirebrit
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, nobody cares about your quaint little perfect life. Go away.:D

That is so Shannon, and yet so, so true.

asdf, I've got a goddamn Porsche to run. It's expensive... you think this is easy for me????

Things are tough here. Send bucks, please, now.:D

Shannon
06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
The cheating/lying part sounds intriguing. Pics?

Shannon: sure, why not? :D

Did you and Hamp spend all day drinking together? What the hell are you on about?

Bubba Dawg
06-27-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey, Bubba. Working too hard, been off the grid for two weeks, but otherwise OK. How bout you?

Good to see ya'lls, and it's really good to see CU back on the grid.

Durn Tootin'

Hey!!! I'm in charge of the Saturday Thread (for the time being anyway).

It takes a special Dude to Roll on Shabbos.

megimoo
06-27-2008, 09:04 PM
Another severed right foot discovered in British Columbia

In a story line that could have been plucked right out of CSI, another severed right foot has been found on the shores of the Gulf Islands in British Columbia. Three feet have been discovered in close proximity in the last six months, and this is causing the local investigators to wonder what kind of pattern is developing, and where these body parts are coming from.

"Sounds like the story line from one of Michael Slade's books, no that plot involved woman's left breasts !"

The latest foot, still in its sneaker, was found last Friday on Valdes Island, a small community near Nanaimo that does not have regular ferry service and is accessible only by private boat or float plane.
snip
Two other right feet, both in size 12 men's sneakers, washed ashore on Gabriola and Jedediah islands last August. RCMP collected DNA from the grisly remains but could not match them to anyone in police databases. The three islands are within 60 kilometres of each other.

"It is unusual," said RCMP spokeswoman Const. Annie Linteau. "We are in the preliminary stages of this particular investigation, and of course we will not enter into speculation."

The Vancouver Island Major Crime Unit has sent detectives to investigate the cases, she said.

"Ah now they will have Zink Chandler and RCVICAP to recon with !"

Meanwhile, the latest foot has been turned over to the B.C. Coroners Service for forensic testing.

"We'll be using pathology examinations and anthropology examinations to garner as much information as we possibly can about the remains," said Jeff Dolen, B.C.'s assistant deputy chief coroner.

Although it is somewhat common to find individual body parts, Dolen said this would be "the first instance of three such similar remains being discovered" in such proximity.

A body in the ocean will first sink and then, depending on the depth, float back to the surface as it becomes bloated with gas.

It is common for hands, feet and the head to detach as a body decomposes, said Gail Anderson, a forensic entomologist from Simon Fraser University who has submerged pigs in Saanich Inlet to study ocean decomposition. But generally, those limbs do not float, she said.

"Obviously there's some sort of current picking up light items and washing them to those particular areas," Anderson said.

Her research on pig carcasses has shown crabs, seals, sharks and fish are frequent scavengers of body parts.

Feet in particular can go through a process called adipocere, as the ocean turns the fat into a soap-like substance during weeks and months in the water, Anderson said. Once that happens, nothing will eat the flesh, she said. But she said it also makes it extremely difficult for forensic analysts to gather clues from the body part, such as its age.
http://www.nowpublic.com/strange/another-severed-right-foot-discovered-british-columbia

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Did you and Hamp spend all day drinking together? What the hell are you on about?

No, we did not. You're the one who wanted some boredom relief. I spent the day tweaking a model (the math kind - not the runway kind).

I can state with absolute assurance that I was not, in fact, in the UK today or even the EU and those pesky cameras will back me up. :D

Shannon
06-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm extremely concerned about Megi.

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm extremely concerned about Megi.

He knows how to take direction which is more than I can say for you. :p

asdf2231
06-27-2008, 09:08 PM
That is so Shannon, and yet so, so true.

asdf, I've got a goddamn Porsche to run. It's expensive... you think this is easy for me????

Things are tough here. Send bucks, please, now.:D

It's GOT to get better gas milage than the stupid SUV I have been putting all the miles on this last week, so I'm afraid I am going to whip out the tiny violin at this point for you. :)

Shannon
06-27-2008, 09:09 PM
He knows how to take direction which is more than I can say for you. :p

Ohhhhhh, fine then! I'm not coming back for days and days then! So...there! (I got nothing else)

megimoo
06-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Get cracking. :DOk body parts are done, I've saturated the topic !

SarasotaRepub
06-27-2008, 09:15 PM
So are you using a GPS on your trip tomorrow or is the
son Teh Navigator? :confused::D

megimoo
06-27-2008, 09:16 PM
No, we did not. You're the one who wanted some boredom relief. I spent the day tweaking a model (the math kind - not the runway kind).

I can state with absolute assurance that I was not, in fact, in the UK today or even the EU and those pesky cameras will back me up. :DWhat kind of model S'Il Vous Plait ?

Phillygirl
06-27-2008, 09:28 PM
What kind of model S'Il Vous Plait ?

Megi:

Ixnay on the Frenchnay...and no mathematics in the Lounge. It's in the rules somewhere.

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 09:29 PM
What kind of model S'Il Vous Plait ?

Mobile6.

*laughs heartily....reaches for alcohol.*

megimoo
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Mobile6.

*laughs heartily....reaches for alcohol.*EPA MOBILE6.2. ?

Shannon
06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
AMUSE ME!

Who the **** is in charge of this limit thingie!:(

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 10:13 PM
EPA MOBILE6.2. ?

I don't want to talk about it.

*sulks*

BSR
06-27-2008, 10:37 PM
AMUSE ME!

Who the **** is in charge of this limit thingie!:(

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8729/challengerae6.jpg

You been huffing the whip cream cans again, cupcake?

Gingersnap
06-27-2008, 10:43 PM

Let's hope not.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2v9xmau.jpg

Shannon
06-27-2008, 10:44 PM
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/8729/challengerae6.jpg

Cupcake?

jendf
06-27-2008, 10:50 PM
Cupcake?

Someone has a crush on you, Shannon.

BSR
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Cupcake?

I call all the freaks I know cupcake, so don't read to much into it... :rolleyes:

BSR
06-27-2008, 10:56 PM
Someone has a crush on you, Shannon.

I call my brother in law cupcake too, do I have a crush on him? ( no one asked you Shannon)

jendf
06-27-2008, 11:03 PM
I call my brother in law cupcake too, do I have a crush on him? ( no one asked you Shannon)

Possibly. ...

BSR
06-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Possibly. ...

Dont you have a car accident to cause somewhere?

BSR
06-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Night peeps, going to spend some quality time with the wifey...

linda22003
06-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Four weeks ago, I discovered that all men are lying, cheating, rotten bastards.

By "all men", I assume you mean the one you happened to be seeing at the time?