PDA

View Full Version : I just returned from a trip

gator
03-18-2009, 07:58 AM
I have been in Ft Wayne Indiana attending the funeral of my Mother-in Law. She was the kindest, nicest, most loving and most generous person I have ever met in my life. There were many people at her funeral. She will be missed greatly by many people.

She died unexpectedly but she lived a long life and was loved by many people.

I guess that if the rest of us can claim the same thing when we die then we will be very lucky people, won‘t we?

This leads me to a question. I loved my Mother in Law like my own Mother. I had great respect and admiration for her. She never interfered with the relationship with my wife and was always helpful, loving and generous. However, over the years I have heard many people talk about how their MIL was the MIL From Hell.

What is your experience?

linda22003
03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
Mine was just a lunatic, and my husband would be the first to agree. He was very close to his mother-in-law.

noonwitch
03-18-2009, 08:32 AM
I'm not married, never have been. Partly, it's because I don't want to inflict my mother upon some man from a nice, sane family. I've seen how awful she is about my siblings' spouses. She complains about my BIL that he is lazy and has no motivation to move up the corporate ladder. She complains about my SIL that she doesn't make her feel welcome in her home, and that the grandchildren spend more time with their other grandparents than they do with her.

On the other hand, I like both of my in-laws' families. My sister's husband's mother is an old-school catholic mom-my BIL tells some really funny stories about her, like the time she came home from her catholic mother's group and asked him if he listened to "metal-licka". My brother's wife's mother is an old-fashioned, southern housewife-mom. Both of the dads are quiet kinds of guys, and their generation tended to leave child-rearing to the moms.

RobJohnson
03-19-2009, 01:46 AM
I have been in Ft Wayne Indiana attending the funeral of my Mother-in Law. She was the kindest, nicest, most loving and most generous person I have ever met in my life. There were many people at her funeral. She will be missed greatly by many people.

She died unexpectedly but she lived a long life and was loved by many people.

I guess that if the rest of us can claim the same thing when we die then we will be very lucky people, won‘t we?

This leads me to a question. I loved my Mother in Law like my own Mother. I had great respect and admiration for her. She never interfered with the relationship with my wife and was always helpful, loving and generous. However, over the years I have heard many people talk about how their MIL was the MIL From Hell.

What is your experience?

Sorry to hear about your loss. She sounds like a wonderful woman.

May our prayers help comfort your family.

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
My mother-in-law is a saint. :) My wifes mother-in-law is a PITA. :(

Rebel Yell
03-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry to hear about that, old man. I'll be thinking about you. Pass my condolences to you wife for me.

lacarnut
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Mine was just a lunatic, and my husband would be the first to agree. He was very close to his mother-in-law.

That explains a lot of things!

Phillygirl
03-19-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Please pass on my condolences to Mrs. Gator as well. It appears that the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

linda22003
03-19-2009, 12:48 PM
That explains a lot of things!

What about my husband's mother being a lunatic explains a lot of things? :confused:

Lars1701a
03-19-2009, 02:09 PM
What about my husband's mother being a lunatic explains a lot of things? :confused:

Men tend to marry women like their mothers. :D

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

not all of us. Some of us go out of their way NOT to do so!:p

lacarnut
03-19-2009, 02:36 PM

BUWHAAA. I was trying to leave it to her imagination and there you go being cynical.;)

linda22003
03-19-2009, 02:50 PM

And some are so horrified by their own childhoods they go for the opposite! :p

Molon Labe
03-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Sorry for the loss gator. I lost my dad about a year ago. You never forget your parents and inlaws

SaintLouieWoman
03-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry for your loss. Please give our condolences to Mrs. Gator. She's a very nice lady. It's hard when you've lost both parents. Even though my mom had Alzheimers (or some variation), I felt a bit lost when she died in 2001. She had really gone long before, but the reality of not being able to visit her was tough.