PDA

View Full Version : Wickedness Wednesday.

Gingersnap
03-18-2009, 08:45 AM
Spring is sneaking in around here. It's time to start those annuals indoors and plant those peas outside.

TOTD: Is society as a whole better off when people follow or at least incline toward basic religious commandments on broad areas of human behavior? This guy makes a case for it:

Tough love And Faith

Looking at my own life, it's clear that I am pretty lazy and naturally irresponsible. Although I can think of a lot of reasons to overcome this inclination from a religious point of view, I can't think of any reasons to do so from a purely pragmatic view. After all, plenty of lazy and irresponsible people are just as successful as I am and some are more widely admired. On the other hand, I think society as a whole would be better off if people were guided more by morality and less by nature.

What do you think?

asdf2231
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
TOTD

Yes. :D

movie buff
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
TOTD: Most definitely.

PoliCon
03-18-2009, 09:55 AM
John Adams
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Charles Carroll -
" Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Noah Webster
“In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed...No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”