PDA

View Full Version : Natasha Richardson to be 'detached' from life support

linda22003
03-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Very sad, if true. I spent the last few days at a funeral for a family member's sudden death, and the decision to detach can be very difficult, especially if there's no directive in place. :(

While there has still been no official statement from Natasha Richardson's family about her health, People is now reporting that the actress is brain dead.

"There is no chance," a family friend told People Tuesday night. "It is a fact that her heart is beating, but she is brain dead."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2009/03/natasha-richard.html

noonwitch
03-18-2009, 11:27 AM
This is so sad, they were covering it on The Today Show. I really like her as an actress, too. She's Vanessa Redgrave's daughter and Liam Neeson's wife. Her best known movies were the remake of The Parent Trap, and Nell, on the set of which she met her husband.

Gingersnap
03-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I read about this. I don't believe I've seen the actress but I'm just shocked that such a serious injury could happen on a bunny slope. They call them "bunny slopes" for a reason - there's nothing to hit, the incline is zero to ultra mild, and you can't build up even unintentional speed. :eek:

linda22003
03-19-2009, 07:11 AM
It may have been a bunny slope, but it was enough to kill her. I wonder if they'll do an autopsy; perhaps an aneurysm gave way, which caused her to fall, rather than hitting her head on anything.

noonwitch
03-19-2009, 07:34 AM
I read about this. I don't believe I've seen the actress but I'm just shocked that such a serious injury could happen on a bunny slope. They call them "bunny slopes" for a reason - there's nothing to hit, the incline is zero to ultra mild, and you can't build up even unintentional speed. :eek:

I was a skier in high school, there's always something you can hit-on the Bunny Hill, there are always the other first-timers and the little kids, if nothing else. The first thing they taught me when I took a lesson or two, was how to fall and land on my butt. The instructor said landing on your butt will prevent most serious injuries.

They were talking on television about how she should have been wearing a helmet. I didn't know anyone but racers wore helmets for skiing. We never did, we didn't even wear hats half the time.

Gingersnap
03-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I was a skier in high school, there's always something you can hit-on the Bunny Hill, there are always the other first-timers and the little kids, if nothing else. The first thing they taught me when I took a lesson or two, was how to fall and land on my butt. The instructor said landing on your butt will prevent most serious injuries.

They were talking on television about how she should have been wearing a helmet. I didn't know anyone but racers wore helmets for skiing. We never did, we didn't even wear hats half the time.

Helmets are the New Black for downhill. I expect this will reignite the debate over mandatory helmet use. The problem with these helmets is that they really reduce vision and they distort hearing. There is a lot of meaningful chatter and shouting involved with downhill and you need to pay attention.

I would still like to know exactly what happened. Sure, you can smack into somebody on the bunny slope but you just don't have enough speed to do anything but fall over. I don't think she did hit anyone anyway since there's no mention of it in the news reports.