PDA

View Full Version : Herb used to keep royal mistresses svelte could help fight obesity

PoliCon
03-18-2009, 11:23 PM
How the herb Charles II used to keep royal mistresses in shape could help fight today's obesity epidemic
By GEORGE MAIR and STEVEN HENRY
Last updated at 10:51 19 March 2008

* Comments (4)
* Add to My Stories

Heath pea

Heath pea: Could curb hunger pangs

It is an ancient slimming remedy with a royal seal of approval.

Now a traditional herb used by King Charles II to help his mistresses lose weight could be used in the modern day battle against obesity.

Experts want to re-establish the humble heath pea to fight the nation's weight crisis after evidence of its use was discovered during an archaeological dig.

Heath pea, which is also known as bitter vetch, was used in medieval times as a hunger suppressant when the crops failed.

It was also passed around the court of King Charles, who gave it to his lovers who had a propensity for plumpness.

Monks used the plant to treat patients in the 14th century Soutra Aisle monastery near Edinburgh, which is currently being excavated.

Dr Brian Moffat, an expert on medieval remedies, said the idea to promote heath pea as a slimming aid had been developed after he came across the remedy during the dig at the Soutra site. I'm going to try and get some of this to grow. :) It could pay off BIG time :cool:

Gingersnap
03-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm going to try and get some of this to grow. :) It could pay off BIG time :cool:

You should plant cocoa bushes and make cocaine - I'm pretty sure it would work better. :D

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 11:13 AM
You should plant cocoa bushes and make cocaine - I'm pretty sure it would work better. :D

that shit's illegal. This stuff isn't. :p