PDA

View Full Version : EXCLUSIVE: Obama's $500,000 book bonanza

bijou
03-19-2009, 10:47 AM
As he empathized with recession-weary Americans, President Obama arranged in the days just before he took office to secure a $500,000 advance for a children's book project, a disclosure report shows.

The terms of the book deal were disclosed in a Senate financial disclosure report filed Tuesday.

Analysts say there don't appear to be any rules that would bar such transactions after a president takes office, but it's unclear whether an incoming or sitting president has ever signed a book deal upon entering the White House.

"I don't recall any sitting president entering into a book deal," said campaign finance lawyer Jan Baran, former general counsel to the Republican National Committee. "They all have historically done that after they leave office. ... link (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/19/obamas-500000-book-bonanza/)

lacarnut
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
There was a big shit storm when Newt did it but this story will be lucky if it gets buried in sect. D, page 12 of the newspaper.

linda22003
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Newt did it while in office. Obama followed Hillary's model and did the deal before he took office. They couldn't touch her on the deal for her autobiography because she signed it before she entered the Senate.

lacarnut
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Newt did it while in office. Obama followed Hillary's model and did the deal before he took office. They couldn't touch her on the deal for her autobiography because she signed it before she entered the Senate.

I know that but my point was if this was a Repub doing the same thing it would be a big, big story.