PDA

View Full Version : Splitting threads

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Does the staff know how to do them? If so - could we do them more often? :) If not - Can we get someone to show them how? I could show them how if no one else can. I've done vbulletin moding one one of the largest bulletin boards on the net . . . . it's really not very hard to do . . . .

Gingersnap
03-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Does the staff know how to do them? If so - could we do them more often? :) If not - Can we get someone to show them how? I could show them how if no one else can. I've done vbulletin moding one one of the largest bulletin boards on the net . . . . it's really not very hard to do . . . .

Uh...yeah - they know how to do it. Generally, the Mods encourage people to do their own splitting in the form of starting a new thread. I encourage everybody to do this all the time. It makes for a better conversation by allowing a new topic to take off while allowing the old topic to continue.

The problem with top-down thread management of this sort is that some posters feel as though their threads have been hijacked by interlopers, nuts, or management.

If you see a topic that develops within an existing thread and you believe that it would be better discussed on its own - take the lead! Make a new thread! ;)

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Uh...yeah - they know how to do it. Generally, the Mods encourage people to do their own splitting in the form of starting a new thread. I encourage everybody to do this all the time. It makes for a better conversation by allowing a new topic to take off while allowing the old topic to continue.

The problem with top-down thread management of this sort is that some posters feel as though their threads have been hijacked by interlopers, nuts, or management.

If you see a topic that develops within an existing thread and you believe that it would be better discussed on its own - take the lead! Make a new thread! ;)

I get your point - thing is - sometimes the new thread would lose it's meaning without the posts in the other thread ya know? I'm not asking for a dictatorship just saying should the involoved parties agree - why not split it? Or at the very least - copy it out into a new thread :)

Gingersnap
03-19-2009, 09:49 PM
I get your point - thing is - sometimes the new thread would lose it's meaning without the posts in the other thread ya know? I'm not asking for a dictatorship just saying should the involoved parties agree - why not split it? Or at the very least - copy it out into a new thread :)

I know this will a controversial and perhaps even heretical view but - just ask them? At a certain point in some threads that I have started (or hijacked), I just ask, "So, let's do a thread on X". Generally, the players are happy campers with this idea and the people who stayed on point are happy to be rid of us. Shocking but true. :D

Lanie
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Uh, if this is about me, then I want to say sorry for hijacking a thread earlier. My bad. :o

I made a new thread.

PoliCon
03-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Uh, if this is about me, then I want to say sorry for hijacking a thread earlier. My bad. :o

I made a new thread.

Thread splits are better. The conversation transfers over intact. :cool: