PDA

View Full Version : When it comes to wound healing, the maggot cleans up

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 12:17 PM
When it comes to wound healing, the maggot cleans up (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article5941230.ece)

From The Times
March 20, 2009

Sam Lister, Health Editor

Flesh-eating maggots and blood-sucking leeches might be considered more medieval than modern, but if you want a wound treated with maximum efficiency, few therapies can compete with 200 million years of evolution.

A study by a team of British scientists, published today, lends support to the use of the maggot in high-tech healthcare. They found that, left to graze on the skin, maggots can clean wounds that fail to heal five times faster than conventional treatments.

In a trial to investigate the clinical effectiveness of maggots for wound treatment, the leg ulcers of patients treated with larvae were found to heal just as quickly as the water-based gel normally used. The study also showed that the process of debridement the removal of dead tissue, in this case eaten by the maggots occurred far faster, suggesting that larvae could be used to clean sites at high speed before urgent surgery, such as skin grafts.

Leeches have also been shown to be a highly effective tool in microsurgery. The excess blood that builds up when an appendage is reattached because of the inability to link all the broken veins is drained off with leeches, which can consume five times their weight in a single blood-sucking.

CONTINUED

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
Seems those Medieval doctors weren't such quacks afer all!

asdf2231
03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Leeches have also been shown to be a highly effective tool in microsurgery. The excess blood that builds up when an appendage is reattached because of the inability to link all the broken veins is drained off with leeches, which can consume five times their weight in a single blood-sucking.

A LOT of hospitals use them also to cure a common problem... Priapism.

Which as everyone knows is an erection that lasts more than four hours.

When they DON'T have leeches they just jam in hypodermic needles and drain manually.

Personally if it ever happened to me I would be praying for leeches. :D

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM

When they DON'T have leeches they just jam in hypodermic needles and drain manually.

Personally if it ever happened to me I would be praying for leeches. :DThank you but I'm not interested in either being involved with my schlong. :eek: I think if I had a choice - I'd take death!

Gingersnap
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM

You'd better also be praying that no fun-loving intern snapped a pic of the procedure and showed it to your wife. :p

megimoo
03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

If it ever happens to you just keep it a secret and take a bunch of photos !

lurkalot
03-20-2009, 08:11 PM
its no fun for the nurse who has to go in every fifteen minutes and measure it to see if the medications are working either :mad:
and no, they don't "slab and stab" immediately, they give you meds to reduce blood pressure and wait and measure...then the nurse gets to "stab" :D

asdf2231
03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
Actually using maggots is a survival technique when you have an infected wound. You smear a little jelly or something sweet, even granulated suger into a portion of the wound and attract flies. Flies lay eggs, eggs hatch maggots take care of necrotic infected flesh and leave the live flesh behind.

Not that I ever want to be in a situation where I have to TRY something like that, but there you are.

Gingersnap
03-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Actually using maggots is a survival technique when you have an infected wound. You smear a little jelly or something sweet, even granulated suger into a portion of the wound and attract flies. Flies lay eggs, eggs hatch maggots take care of necrotic infected flesh and leave the live flesh behind.

Not that I ever want to be in a situation where I have to TRY something like that, but there you are.

Skip the DIY maggots. Not all maggots do more good than harm and all of them secret enzymes that can break down healthy tissues. This is why docs don't dump maggots on people and leave them for days at a time. They get removed and replaced by new maggots very quickly to keep the damage angle down.

In a survival situation you can use honey to prevent or to treat a wound infection. Honey is highly hygroscopic and it's sterile. Honey dries up wounds quickly and helps to prevent a new infection by forming a barrier that is very bacteria-unfriendly.

This won't help you if the infection has already hit the blood stream and become systemic but it might help in a localized sense. ;)

lurkalot
03-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Skip the DIY maggots. Not all maggots do more good than harm and all of them secret enzymes that can break down healthy tissues. This is why docs don't dump maggots on people and leave them for days at a time. They get removed and replaced by new maggots very quickly to keep the damage angle down.

In a survival situation you can use honey to prevent or to treat a wound infection. Honey is highly hygroscopic and it's sterile. Honey dries up wounds quickly and helps to prevent a new infection by forming a barrier that is very bacteria-unfriendly.

This won't help you if the infection has already hit the blood stream and become systemic but it might help in a localized sense. ;)

do you ever watch Monk?

Gingersnap
03-20-2009, 10:30 PM
do you ever watch Monk?

No, although people constantly tell me that I would totally enjoy it. :rolleyes:

I've worked really hard on my various "behaviors". I don't need to see some Hollywood rendition of OCD. :D