PDA

View Full Version : Obama apologizes for 'Special Olympics' joke

RobJohnson
03-20-2009, 12:35 PM
http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Content/090316/News/Todays_News_Our_Take/1_mon/090316obama_tonightshow1.jpg
WASHINGTON, March 20, 2009 (AFP) US President Barack Obama has apologized for the first gaffe of his presidency, after he joked about his bowling prowess comparing it to the Special Olympics for people with intellectual disabilities.

In his first appearance on a US late night talk show since his November election, Obama told Jay Leno he had been practicing at the White House bowling alley after he flopped at the sport during the presidential campaign last year.

"I bowled a 129," he said to laughter from the "Tonight Show" audience in Los Angeles.

"That's very good, Mr. President," Leno deadpanned.

It's "like the Special Olympics or something," the president replied.

Realizing the joke had fallen flat, the White House moved quickly to downplay it and Obama late Thursday telephoned Tim Shriver, the chairman of the Special Olympics, from Air Force One on the flight back to Washington.

More (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090320/en_afp/entertainmentuspoliticsobamaolympics_2009032016394 0)

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 12:44 PM
we need a merger! :p

3rd-try
03-21-2009, 09:33 AM
With all the real problems coming from Obama, this just isn't on the graph. I don't like the theme of slamming O for making a little joke. I don't think conservatives should play the "easily offended" game. Just like when the libs whine over some semantics, it just comes off as gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

RobJohnson
03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
With all the real problems coming from Obama, this just isn't on the graph. I don't like the theme of slamming O for making a little joke. I don't think conservatives should play the "easily offended" game. Just like when the libs whine over some semantics, it just comes off as gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Some people don't appreciate him making fun of the handicap.

Odysseus
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Obama can't afford to alienate the Special Olympics crowd. Look at how many retarded voters he got.:D

PoliCon
03-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Obama can't afford to alienate the Special Olympics crowd. Look at how many retarded voters he got.:D

do I have to? I don't like going to the dump . . . . they scare me.