PDA

View Full Version : top 10 sci fi shows of all time

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/toplists/the_top_10_scifi_shows_of_alltime/the_top_10_scifi_shows_of_alltime.html

Be sure to vote in the poll!

How the hell did SG1 get on the list?? That show was sooooooooo stupid. They took a great concept as expressed in the movie and made a B sci fi show out of it that just plain got stupid. The only good spin on it was Atlantis.

linda22003
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM
I voted for Twilight Zone because it's the only one I've seen very much. I've never even heard of several of them.

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I voted for Twilight Zone because it's the only one I've seen very much. I've never even heard of several of them.

HEATHEN!!!! :eek: We really do need to have a burning!!

linda22003
03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I've never heard of Firefly, Fringe, Farscape, or Sliders. And that's probably more than the number of operas you could name. :p

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 01:31 PM
I've never heard of Firefly, Fringe, Farscape, or Sliders. And that's probably more than the number of operas you could name. :pdisgusting! Operas eh? marriage of figaro, Don Giovanni, The flying dutchman, the merry wives of windsor, Don Quixote, and of course - the magic flute. I have to sit through one at least every couple of years. The Mrs. love Opera. I loathe it . . . . but . . . . you do what you have to do.

OH left out the Barber of Seville. :p

linda22003
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
So, the Mrs. has an inclination toward Mozart? :) Culture won't kill you, don't worry. The effects are probably transitory. :p

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 02:08 PM
So, the Mrs. has an inclination toward Mozart? :) Culture won't kill you, don't worry. The effects are probably transitory. :p

I enjoy Motzart myself - just not a fan of Opera.

gator
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
I've never heard of Firefly, Fringe, Farscape, or Sliders. And that's probably more than the number of operas you could name. :p

Firefly is probably one of the most enjoyable series ever on TV. It only ran for one season but it was a very good show.

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Firefly is probably one of the most enjoyable series ever on TV. It only ran for one season but it was a very good show.

It didn't even make it a full season. :(

Zathras
03-20-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/toplists/the_top_10_scifi_shows_of_alltime/the_top_10_scifi_shows_of_alltime.html

Be sure to vote in the poll!

How the hell did SG1 get on the list?? That show was sooooooooo stupid. They took a great concept as expressed in the movie and made a B sci fi show out of it that just plain got stupid. The only good spin on it was Atlantis.

Hey, 10 seasons on the air, which I have on DVD, says that you're in the minority...what the stupid part is that 29% of the people voting think Lost in Space is the best sci-fi show ever **shudder**...now, if you want stupid, there you go.

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey, 10 seasons on the air says that you're in the minority...what the stupid part is that 29% of the people voting think Lost in Space is the best sci-fi show ever **shudder**...now, if you want stupid, there you go.

10 seasons means that there are plenty of gluttons for punishment out there! :rolleyes:

Zathras
03-20-2009, 05:08 PM
10 seasons means that there are plenty of gluttons for punishment out there! :rolleyes:

In your opinion. I happen to disagree with your assessment of the situation...and 2 Hugo Award nominations says they were doing something right. My favorite episode of the series was "Window of Opportunity".

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM
In your opinion. I happen to disagree with your assessment of the situation...and 2 Hugo Award nominations says they were doing something right. My favorite episode of the series was "Window of Opportunity".

my favorite episode was the "Unending."

Bubba Dawg
03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Fringe I like. At least what I've seen. I missed several though.

Life on Mars is good but not on the list. I guess it's not considered sci-fi.

I like several on the list. Gotta go with Twilight Zone though.

SarasotaRepub
03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
I voted for Dr. Who. Love that show. Almost voted for
Lost in Space, another classic. I don't think even Dr.Who used
more tinfoil than LIS. :D

megimoo
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
HEATHEN!!!! :eek: We really do need to have a burning!!I'm sure she floats so burn her !

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm sure she floats so burn her ! I knew she was a duck!!:cool:

megimoo
03-20-2009, 11:27 PM
I knew she was a duck!!:cool: It went right over your head .

PoliCon
03-20-2009, 11:30 PM
It went right over your head .

Please . . . . :rolleyes: I've all of Monty Pythons movies - and all the show as well.

ironhorsedriver
03-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Blasphemy is not knowing Firefly. One of the best, ever! I personally like SG1 and Atlantis. Eurika is also tops.

enslaved1
03-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I haven't kept up with any tv shows in a long time, so I haven't heard of or seen a whole lot these, but my personal faves are..

(In no particuar order)
Quantum Leap
Star Trek (original)
Twilight Zone (original, black and white series, there was one relaunch in the late 80's that had it's moments, but the original is the best)
Outer Limits (again, the original, gotta love the control voice)
Doctor Who (John Pertwee was my favorite Doctor)

PoliCon
03-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Doctor Who (John Pertwee was my favorite Doctor)Now see when I think Doctor who - Baker comes to mind . . . . but I have to say that my favorite doctor is Christopher Eccleston.

Apocalypse
03-21-2009, 11:28 PM

Firefly was short lived, but a good show. SO good that some thing like a year or two later "Serenity" hit the movie theaters, which was Firefly on the big screen.

Fringe, I don't remember.

Farscape was loved. One of Jim Hansen's series for Scifi Network. Went 5 seasons, until a fight between Scifi chanel and Jim Hansen's Muppet works ended the series. Scifi wanted to cut cost and only wanted 6 episodes for the 5th season, but Jim Hansen's Muppet works said that wouldn't be cost efficient that to make a reasonable profit with all the sets, Muppet's and costumes, plus special effects, they had to do a full 11 Eps. to be cost efficient. And the series died. They did do a movie about 2 years later. Much from this series has been used in CSI Miami, Stargate and many others. Winning combination to make it work, Hot women scantly dressed, toss in guns, spaceships and fights.

Sliders was an older series, I want to say early 90's. Early Sliders was really good, later series when the main cast left leaving the comic relief as the main cast member sucked. Featured John Rhys-Davies as one of the leading actors. Basically was a continuing story of same earth different realities. And explored each and what would be the possible result.

Speedy
03-22-2009, 10:43 AM

I can't believe that Battlestar Galactica that just had what is probably one of the best finales for a series ever is ranked behind Lost in Space. Firefly should also be in the top 5.

gator
03-22-2009, 12:09 PM
I love Science Fiction but there hasn't been too many really good SF series on TV.

Space, Above and Beyond had a great "Starship Trooper" type of plot and was pretty good. R. Lee Ermey even played in it.

In the 1960s they had a show called "The Invaders" and it was Ok for the time.

Firefly should still be on have a large following. It was a great example of a great cast, good story line and piss poor marketing.

Most of the SF shows over the years has been of the bubblegum variety.

The Star Trek series has been pretty good but it was engineered to be politically correct and that ruined it. The conflict with the Borg in both the Voyager and STNG was very good. The alternate reality episodes of "Enterprise" showed great promise but only went for two shows.

Battlestar Galactica was probably the best TV series ever produced. The only problem is that it went one season too long. It should have been three seasons with a beginning, middle and end. You could tell they put in filler and were winging it after the first season althought it ended fine. The thing that was so appealing about the show was the character development

movie buff
03-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Firefly, all the way!

PoliCon
03-22-2009, 02:16 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_live-action_TV_series this could be tons of fun! :)