PDA

View Full Version : AUSTRALIAN universities rejects demand for Muslims' prayer room

megimoo
03-22-2009, 08:44 PM
AUSTRALIAN universities are responsible for providing quality education, not consecrated religious spaces, according to a university involved in a bitter dispute over Muslim prayer rooms.Dozens of Islamic students plan to protest today to demand that a dedicated Muslim prayer room replace an existing multi-faith centre at Melbourne's RMIT.

But acting pro vice-chancellor Maddy McMaster said it was not for universities to provide consecrated religious spaces. "A university's responsibility to its students is to provide them with a quality education," she said. "Recognising that the educational experience is not confined to the classroom, RMIT offers other services, including prayer rooms. It falls to religious communities to provide the consecrated spaces."

The dispute over prayer rooms at RMIT's Swanston Street campus began when a Muslim prayer room was demolished in late 2007 as part of renovations. The university's Islamic student association claims it was promised new rooms but that the institution reneged on its promise by making them multi-faith. They are now campaigning to have the multi-faith rooms declared Muslim-only.

"As a result (of the multi-faith centre) students and staff have been forced to pray," the RMIT Islamic Society said on its website. "As a consequence of not having a Muslim prayer room on Swanston St, Muslim females have allegedly been subject to sexual abuse, harassment and religious vilification." Organisers of the protest - which has the backing of the National Union of Students and the RMIT Student Union - say they have been left with no choice but to take action.

But Dr McMaster said the university already provided a number of prayer rooms for Muslim students across all its campuses. "It is difficult to see how we can improve on eight Muslim prayer rooms, with one more opening, as well as providing Muslim students with preferential access to two prayer rooms in the multi-faith Spiritual Centre," she said.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25226537-12332,00.html

PoliCon
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Give them an INCH and they want the whole world. Multi-faith prayer rooms are just fine. :)

jediab
03-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Or they should try this: Tell the muslims that the university will make that room just for muslims, ONLY if they agree to pay for the creation of other only faiths' rooms instead of the university paying for them.

Imagine how they would feel paying entirely for the Jew only room. :D

PoliCon
03-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Or they should try this: Tell the muslims that the university will make that room just for muslims, ONLY if they agree to pay for the creation of other only faiths' rooms instead of the university paying for them.

Imagine how they would feel paying entirely for the Jew only room. :D

BAH! Tell them that if they want these rooms - Buy or rent or build a building in the area.

noonwitch
03-23-2009, 01:02 PM
How does it work these days at american public universities?

When I was at WMU in the 80s, various groups had property on or near campus-the catholic church was just off campus, between WMU and K-college, the methodists had the Wesley Foundation on campus, the episcopalians had a building on campus, and the lutherans had the official chapel. All the religious groups who didn't belong to one of the groups that had a building of their own rented office space in the chapel and gathering space in the student center, including the Hillel Foundation, IVCF, Navigators and Campus Crusade. Cults like the moonies, Maranathas and Krishnas did not have univerisity sanction, so they were not allowed to have official gatherings in school buildings. When I was in IVCF, we met at the episcopalian church, and had Bible studies in the dorms. Campus Crusade was a larger group, and they met at the student center.

I don't know if the muslim students had an organization at that time, but they probably do now. There were plenty there in the 80s-we had a good career english program, plus there were a lot of people who had escaped Iran before the revolution who were attending. The latter were an interesting and very social group, in that they lived in the dorms and got to know the other students. The muslims from asia were not like that at all-they tended to live in apartments off campus and kept to themselves.

linda22003
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
... the episcopalians had a building on campus....

That's called the "bar". :p

FlaGator
03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
How about they start a Muslim University and then do whatever they like? This is what the Momons, Catholics and varioius Protestant demoninations have done.

Sonnabend
03-23-2009, 01:25 PM
How about they start a Muslim University and then do whatever they like?

I am still trying to remember what scientific and other advancements have come out of any Muslim country or university in the last fifty years..all I can think of is bodybags, knife sharpeners and a boom in the funeral industry.

PoliCon
03-23-2009, 02:04 PM
I am still trying to remember what scientific and other advancements have come out of any Muslim country or university in the last fifty years..all I can think of is bodybags, knife sharpeners and a boom in the funeral industry.

50? try 500. :rolleyes: They haven't had anything to speak of in science since the initial thrust of the jihad.

ironhorsedriver
03-23-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm really liking the Australians. Their about the only nation left with balls to stand up to Islam.