PDA

View Full Version : Nicholas Hughes, son of Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes, commits suicide

bijou
03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Mr Hughes, whose mother took her own life when he was one, hanged himself at his home in Alaska after battling against depression for some time, according to reports.

He was unmarried with no children of his own and had until recently been a professor of fisheries and ocean sciences at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, the Times reports. ...News of his death comes 46 years after Plath gassed herself in the kitchen of the family home while her children slept in a nearby room. Her suicide prompted intense public interest in the family, with some feminist groups laying the blame for her death at the feet of Ted Hughes, who had left Plath for Assia Wevill, the wife of another poet. Tragically, Wevill later killed herself, and their daughter Shura, in what was believed to be a "copycat suicide".

link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5034843/Nicholas-Hughes-son-of-Sylvia-Plath-and-Ted-Hughes-commits-suicide.html)

He had suffered from depression for quite some time.

Gingersnap
03-23-2009, 04:03 PM
This is sad. His life must have been difficult in some ways because of his mother.

On a lighter but still fairly macabre note: I wonder if they forced him to read The Bell Jar in high school? :D

PoliCon
03-23-2009, 05:01 PM
And he is? and I should care why?

Lanie
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
link (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/5034843/Nicholas-Hughes-son-of-Sylvia-Plath-and-Ted-Hughes-commits-suicide.html)

He had suffered from depression for quite some time.

This is really sad. :( There's help for depression. I realize it's harder if there's a family history of suicide, but help's still there.

Lanie
03-23-2009, 06:10 PM
And he is? and I should care why?

Smacks Policon on the head because I randomly felt like it.

PoliCon
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Smacks Policon on the head because I randomly felt like it.

hey for all I know this guy is the son of sam . . . .