PDA

View Full Version : Former CNN Newsie Moves To Onion (As Reported By NYT)

Gingersnap
03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
I swear, you could not make this stuff up:

Former CNN Anchor Moves to The Onion

By Robert Mackey

In yet another sign that the line between real news and fake news is getting thinner, one of CNN’s main anchors during the 1980s and 1990s, Bobbie Battista, has taken a step through the looking glass and can now be seen anchoring reports online for ONN, The Onion News Network.

In the report below, “Prague’s Franz Kafka International Named World’s Most Alienating Airport,” Ms. Battista reports the fictional news with the same aplomb she brought to the real thing during her 20-year career at CNN.

In a recent interview with the blog CNN Observations, Ms. Battista said she enjoyed the fake reports, though she admitted: “I wasn’t sure I should do them at first.” She also advised aspiring journalists to “practice journalism, not blogging,” and had some harsh words for her former employer for cutting back on international news:...

It's like irony overload or something. A failing but real paper is reporting on a fake but thriving pseudo-news outlet who just employed a former news reader from a real but inaccurate news show. The news reader feels the need to offer serious "journalism" advice to the real but inaccurate news show.

I need to lay down for a minute.

NYT (http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/25/former-cnn-anchor-moves-to-the-onion/)