PDA

View Full Version : States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

Space Gravy
03-26-2009, 07:28 AM
States Consider Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510707,00.html

noonwitch
03-26-2009, 07:43 AM
The article mentions the Michigan case that the federal court struck down. I remember that. The state really did find a way around it, with the Work First program. Most recipients had to participate, and most of the jobs they got required a drug test. If they failed, they got sent for treatment. If they refused, they got cut off.

Some of my lawyer aquaintances were really shocked by the ruling. They thought that the courts were more likely to rule against the state requiring it's own employees to undergo drug testing than they were to rule against a program requiring it from welfare recipients.

The people who were declared ineligible for the job program for medical reasons were exempt, however. Most of them were awaiting decisions from SSI, though.

Lars1701a
03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
I am all for welfare leaches being forced to take drug tests. I am not funding their drug habits :mad:

You want to do drugs? fine you earn the money for them. (no I dont want them de-criminalized)

On edit: How the fuck did we come to this point? I cant for the life of me understand why the courts thinks its alright for druggies to receive state aid and not force some kind of drug test.

Rebel Yell
03-26-2009, 10:09 AM
How the fuck did we come to this point? I cant for the life of me understand why the courts thinks its alright for druggies to receive state aid and not force some kind of drug test.

That's easy. Keep them unemployable, therefore, keeping them under the government's thumb.

PoliCon
03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
That's easy. Keep them unemployable, therefore, keeping them under the government's thumb.

They do faithfully vote democrat.

Lars1701a
03-26-2009, 01:46 PM
They do faithfully vote democrat.

Isnt that funny they tend to vote for the people that will not cut their welfare. :rolleyes:

Odysseus
03-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Isnt that funny they tend to vote for the people that will not cut their welfare. :rolleyes:

And for the same reason that drug addicts go to dealers. :rolleyes: