PDA

View Full Version : Sinful Sunday? Nooooo!

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 08:21 AM
Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...

http://members.aol.com/Dave7373/PJ1.JPG

However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:

Chastity: Embracing of moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of body and thought through education and betterment.
Temperance: Practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation.
Charity: Generosity. Willingness to give. A nobility of thought or actions.
Diligence: A zealous and careful nature in one's actions and work. Decisive work ethic. Budgeting one's time; monitoring one's own activities to guard against laziness. Putting forth full concentration in one's work
Patience: Forbearance and endurance through moderation. Resolving conflicts peacefully, as opposed to resorting to violence. The ability to forgive; to show mercy to sinners.
Kindness: Charity, compassion, friendship, and sympathy without prejudice and for its own sake.
Humility: Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one's own self.

While we are all mortal beings who sin (however, not all of us are able to dance real slow), all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

TOTD: Which of the seven virtues most characterizes you? To all you really good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...

http://marioemario.ilcannocchiale.it/mediamanager/sys.user/23310/Monty_Python_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg

megimoo
06-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...

http://members.aol.com/Dave7373/PJ1.JPG

However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:

While we are all mortal beings who sin, all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

TOTD: Which of the seven virtues of most characterize you? To all you good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...

http://marioemario.ilcannocchiale.it/mediamanager/sys.user/23310/Monty_Python_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg

.Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?

I'm not asking you to confess your sins, I'm asking you to evaluate your virtues. Sins is a different, much longer, much more interesting thread. :D

SaintLouieWoman
06-29-2008, 09:40 AM
brevity is the soul of wit

Polonius in Hamlet

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 09:47 AM
brevity is the soul of wit
Polonius in Hamlet

Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
Dorothy Parker

SaintLouieWoman
06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Dorothy Parker

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

DarkScribe
06-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Shannon and The Brat are homeward bound, hopefully soon...I miss 'em!

TOTD: Interesting as always. It would be hard for me to say just ONE, but I guess it would be humility. Did you mention yours? Chastity, was it? :eek:

linda22003
06-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

And I've never backed into a parking space in my LIFE.

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

I'm leaning towards either Charity or Patience, myself, as any of the others are simply a joke. :D

linda22003
06-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't assume all the others even ARE virtues. Especially temperance and chastity.

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't assume all the others even ARE virtues. Especially temperance and chastity.

I would add to that list (of those not necessarily virtues) humility. :D

Junebug68
06-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Dorothy Parker

I love Dorothy Parker!

TOTD: Kindness. I'd do anything for my family and friends, and even complete strangers in need. Ok, that's enough of tooting my own horn :D

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM
I love Dorothy Parker!

TOTD: Kindness. I'd do anything for my family and friends, and even complete strangers in need. Ok, that's enough of tooting my own horn :D

I do as well. I always felt she demonstrated significantly more wit than any dull Polonius. :D

Shannon
06-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I hate Jacksonville. That is all.

TOTD: I'm going to go with diligence...and that's even a bit of a stretch.:p

SaintLouieWoman
06-29-2008, 06:42 PM
I do as well. I always felt she demonstrated significantly more wit than any dull Polonius. :D

Indeed, that was my point. I'll quote more of the passage from Polonious:

Polonius:
My liege, and madam, to expostulate
What majesty should be, what duty is,
What day is day, night night, and time is time,
Were nothing but to waste night, day, and time;
Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief. Your noble son is mad. . . .

Obviously, Polonius does not exactly practice what he preaches. :D He just goes on and on and on, never coming to the point.

Polonius, right-hand man of Hamlet's stepfather, King Claudius, has been employed to spy on the prince and report on his very odd behavior. As Polonius begins to deliver to the king and queen the results of his investigation, he embarks on this windy preface. Besides being nonsensical, his speech is self-contradictory: he wastes plenty of time denouncing the time wasted by rhetorical speechifying.

"Brevity is the soul of wit" has become a standard English proverb; in the process, its context has been somewhat neglected. Polonius, though he has high opinions indeed of his "wit" (that is, acumen), is the least brief and one of the least "witty" characters in the play. Freud aptly referred to Polonius as "the old chatterbox" in Jokes and their Relation to the Unconscious.

So Dorothy Parker is indeed more witty than the dullard Polonius, but she is no Shakepeare. (pardon the political pun).

Goldwater
06-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Well done CW, I represent none of those, should I feel bad?

Shannon
06-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Me either. I've also never parallel parked. I didn't have to do either of those for my driving test though. I had to do a 3 point turn and pull into a regular parking spot. That was pretty much it.

Cold Warrior
06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I hate Jacksonville. That is all.

TOTD: I'm going to go with diligence...and that's even a bit of a stretch.:p

Hey! That's where I waz born'un!

lurkalot
06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
As usual I feel asleep after the first few words of your post.
Woke up somewhere at the end, something about pick one that describes yourself the best.

I guess that would be Kindness

IRL you are Ben Stein aren't you?

Shannon
06-29-2008, 08:33 PM

I know. But it's a horrid city. It literally stinks when you drive through it and they've been doing highway construction for at least a decade now.

SaintLouieWoman
06-29-2008, 09:04 PM
I know. But it's a horrid city. It literally stinks when you drive through it and they've been doing highway construction for at least a decade now.
My sis used to teach there. She liked it, but liked Tampa a lot more.

movie buff
06-29-2008, 09:24 PM
TOTD: A lot of people who are brothers and sisters in Christ tell me that one of my greatest virtues is humility, so I guess I'll go with that.

DarkScribe
06-29-2008, 10:20 PM

Hmmm, that would explain a lot...