PDA

View Full Version : California to reduce carbon emissions by... banning black cars?!

bijou
03-26-2009, 10:07 AM
In a move that will likely get California's consumers in a huff, impending legislation may soon restrict the paint color options for Golden State residents looking for their next new vehicle. The specific colors that are currently on the chopping block are all dark hues, with the worst offender seemingly the most innocuous color you could think of: Black. What could California possibly have against these colors, you ask? Apparently, the California Air Resources Board figures that the climate control systems of dark colored cars need to work harder than their lighter siblings especially after sitting in the sun for a few hours. Anyone living in a hot, sunny climate will tell you that this assumption is accurate, of course. In fact, legislation already exists for buildings that has proven successful at reducing the energy consumption of skyscrapers.

So, what's the crux of the problem... can't paint suppliers just come up with new, less heat-absorbent dark paints? According to Ward's, suppliers have reportedly been testing their pigments and processes to see if it's possible to meet CARB's proposed mandate of 20% solar reflectivity by 2016 with a phase-in period starting in 2012, and things aren't looking good. Apparently, when the proper pigments and chemicals are added to black paint, the resulting color is currently being referred to as "mud-puddle brown." That doesn't sound very attractive, now does it? Windshields, backlights and sunroofs are also slated to get reflective coatings starting in 2012. ...You can have any colour you want as long as it is not black (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/california-to-reduce-carbon-emissions-by-banning-black-cars/)

That sound you hear is Henry Ford spinning in his grave.

Gingersnap
03-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to tax AC units?

/sarc off

FlaGator
03-26-2009, 01:42 PM
One more step to horse drawn carriages. :p

noonwitch
03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
I had a black Mustang once, and it did seem to suck up the heat and hold it in longer than other colored cars. It didn't have a/c, however, this was a 1985 model I bought used in 1988. I parked it in the shade whenever I could, and had one of those cardboard shades to put under the windshield.

This is just a silly proposal, though. I highly doubt we are talking about that much of a difference in energy consumption. Red cars get more speeding tickets, maybe we should ban them.

Odysseus
03-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to tax AC units?

/sarc off

They've already made AC units more expensive and less efficient by banning freon. Thanks, Greens. :mad:

lacarnut
03-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Banning black cars is pure racism; I tell you. Get Jessie and greaseball Al on the horn.:eek::)

PoliCon
03-26-2009, 05:58 PM
You can have any colour you want as long as it is not black (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/25/california-to-reduce-carbon-emissions-by-banning-black-cars/)

That sound you hear is Henry Ford spinning in his grave.

meh. Dealers and auto makers just need to re-classify black paint as dark charcoal gray. Fuck California and their law!:rolleyes:

Odysseus
03-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Banning black cars is pure racism; I tell you. Get Jessie and greaseball Al on the horn.:eek::)
Good point! Does the Teleprompter-in-Chief know about this?

meh. Dealers and auto makers just need to re-classify black paint as dark charcoal gray. Fuck California and their law!:rolleyes:
Nahhh... It's easier to convince people in California to buy a "mud-puddle brown" car by telling them that "mud-puddle brown" is the new black. :D