PDA

View Full Version : Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1

bijou
03-26-2009, 11:53 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Everyone from President Barack Obama on down to fans has criticized how college football determines its top team. Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series.

The current system "leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year," the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate in series, while others do not.

Obama and some members of Congress favor a playoff-type system to determine the national champion. The BCS features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer ratings.

Behind the push for the hearings is the subcommittee's top Republican, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah. People there were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season.

The title game pitted No. 1 Florida (12-1) against No. 2 Oklahoma (12-1); Florida won 24-14 and claimed the title.

The subcommittee's statement said Hatch would introduce legislation "to rectify this situation." No details were offered and Hatch's office declined to provide any. ...http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9759GG00&show_article=1

ralph wiggum
03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Wow, it's great to see the important issues of the day are being tackled. No pun intended. :D

bijou
03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Wow, it's great to see the important issues of the day are being tackled. No pun intended. :D

They probably sorted out the economy by mid morning and managed to squeeze this into some spare moments. ;)

patriot45
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
They are more qualified to tackle this problem, every one wants a college playoff type system! Now put them back on anything to do with economy and they are lost!

noonwitch
03-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue made it to the Senate.

VWkid06
03-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue involved the government at all

fify :)

Molon Labe
03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue made it to the Senate.

Believe it. :D

ralph wiggum
03-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Believe it. :D

As long as they let the Mountain West in. :cool:

patriot45
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
As long as they let the Mountain West in. :cool:

Hah, you know those feel good libs! They will try to "level the playing field". Good teams get to play with 9 guys, bad teams get 15! :D

FlaGator
03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
I shall sleep much better tonight knowing that the economy is now Okey Dokey and my pony should be on it's way. Utopia has arrived at long last and the government has nothing else better to do that get involved with trivial issues that they have no business worrying about in the first place.

BTW, anyone know where I can get small bales of hey?

ralph wiggum
03-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Hah, you know those feel good libs! They will try to "level the playing field". Good teams get to play with 9 guys, bad teams get 15! :D

Teams from blue states such as Illinois and Southern Cal get more players, Texas and Utah get less. :D