PDA

View Full Version : Vt. Governor to Veto Gay Marriage Bill

FlaGator
03-26-2009, 10:34 PM
OK, someone in Vermont has some sense... but

After having remained mum throughout much of the debate on a gay marriage bill in Vermont, Gov. Jim Douglas said Wednesday he will veto the measure if it reaches his desk.

He told reporters that he throught the state's civil unions law provided sufficient rights to same-sex couples and reaffirmed his support for marriage between one man and one woman.

"For those reasons and because I believe that by removing any uncertainty about my position we can move more quickly beyond this debate, I am announcing that I intend to veto this legislation when it reaches my desk," Douglas said, according to The Associated Press.

At the same time, the Republican governor noted that “legislative leaders would not have advanced this bill if they did not have the votes to override a veto.”

His much-awaited comments come as a measure that would allow gay and lesbian couples to marry beginning Sept. 1 passed through the Senate this week. The House is also expected to approve the bill in a vote next week.

Vermont was the first state to pass a civil unions law in 2000. It would become the third state after Massachusetts and Connecticut to allow same-sex marriage and the first state to permit it by a vote of the legislature if the bill becomes law.

Read it here (http://www.christianpost.com/Society/Homosexuality/2009/03/vt-governor-to-veto-gay-marriage-bill-26/index.html)

ralph wiggum
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
There are Republicans in Vermont? :confused: :confused:

FlaGator
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Apparently just one.

ralph wiggum
03-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Apparently just one.

Don't we have at least one Republican in Vermont? ......waiting for them to chime in.......

FlaGator
03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Don't we have at least one Republican in Vermont? ......waiting for them to chime in.......

He's busy looking for his Veto pen :D

PoliCon
03-27-2009, 12:30 AM
There are Republicans in Vermont? :confused: :confused:

yes. most of the natives over the age of 50 - about half the natives under that age - and the longer your family has been in vermont the higher the chance that you will be a republican.