PDA

View Full Version : Elite Prep School Quashes Vampire Rumors.

Gingersnap
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Vampire rumors spur alert at Boston Latin - on bullying

By Megan Woolhouse and Maria Cramer
Globe Staff / March 27, 2009

Boston Latin School headmaster Lynne Mooney Teta issued a notice to parents and students yesterday quashing rumors of vampires at the school. An odd move for the head of a historic elite preparatory school, but Teta and Boston public school officials declined to elaborate on what triggered the unusual message.
They did, however, adamantly offer assurances that no one at the school has been hurt, arrested - or bitten.

"The headmaster believes that the outrageous rumors had reached a point where she had to say something to families to ensure that all students felt safe and respected," said Chris Horan, School Department spokesman.

While the episode sounds like something out of "Twilight," last year's hit film about a high school girl who falls in love with a vampire, it may be closer to the movie "Mean Girls."

Two law enforcement officials with knowledge of the incident said a group of girls at the school had been bullying at least one other student who likes to dress in Goth-style, a vampirish look popularized by musician Marilyn Manson. The officials said the girls began spreading a rumor that the student was a vampire who had cut someone's neck and sucked the blood.

When Boston police went to the school Wednesday on an unrelated matter, their presence fueled yet another rumor: that a vampire was being arrested, according to one of the law enforcement sources.

Several students and parents of students said police officers were posted at the school's main entrance Wednesday but it was unclear why.

Eddy Chrispin, Boston Police Department spokesman, said police spoke with several students at the school Wednesday "to quell the rumor" of vampires.

(snip)

"One student who contacted the Globe said a male student, rumored to be a werewolf, had threatened on Facebook to bring a gun to school because he was being harassed. Other students at the school yesterday said they had heard that a student had been bitten.

If these kids are our 'best and brightest' we so screwed.

Boston (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/27/vampire_rumors_spur_alert_at_boston_latin___on_bul lying/)

PoliCon
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
why? They're already learning how to manipulate the press - and their parents . . . .

noonwitch
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
If these kids are our 'best and brightest' we so screwed.

Boston (http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/03/27/vampire_rumors_spur_alert_at_boston_latin___on_bul lying/)

It sounds like the school took the vampire variation on cooties too seriously. All the kids are reading those Twilight books, and being teens, the books work their way into their imaginations.

Dan D. Doty
03-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Great, now they'll have to check kids every day for crosses and wooden stakes.

" That's not my garlic ... I was holding it for a friend."

PoliCon
03-28-2009, 09:40 PM
In all fairness - this is taking place in Boston - and the Kennedys and the Kerrys and Barny Frank live up there . . . . so . . . . It's not to big of a stretch to believe that some kid could be a blood sucker too . . . .

megimoo
03-28-2009, 10:53 PM
In all fairness - this is taking place in Boston - and the Kennedys and the Kerrys and Barny Frank live up there . . . . so . . . . It's not to big of a stretch to believe that some kid could be a blood sucker too . . . .

Maybe one of the old headmasters was an English vampire and has just 'risen' for fresh blood after all these years.Could be the loud music disturbed it's rest like Lestat ?

Boston Latin was a Harvard 'prep'school in colonial days and many Boston Revolutionary War hero's graduated from its ranks.John Hancock,Sam Adams,Ben Franklin but he dropped out .

The school's first class was in single figures, but it now has 2,400 pupils drawn from all parts of Boston. It has produced four Harvard presidents, four Massachusetts governors, and five signers of the United States Declaration of Independence. William Lloyd Garrison, Benjamin Franklin, and Louis Farrakhan are its most famous dropouts.

PoliCon
03-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Boston Latin was a Harvard 'prep'school in colonial days and many Boston Revolutionary War hero's graduated from its ranks.John Hancock,Sam Adams,Ben Franklin but he dropped out .

The school's first class was in single figures, but it now has 2,400 pupils drawn from all parts of Boston. It has produced four Harvard presidents, four Massachusetts governors, and five signers of the United States Declaration of Independence. William Lloyd Garrison, Benjamin Franklin, and Louis Farrakhan are its most famous dropouts.

Like most things Boston - it ain't what it used to be.

megimoo
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Like most things Boston - it ain't what it used to be.
Yes many things have changed but it still is full of American history.If you can follow the threads there are some interesting facts about the place that make a trip worth your while.

The old North End has some well preserved colonial sites and also some of the city's best Italian food.Just down the hill one can still stroll by Kings Chapel that is on part of the land they swapped with Boston Latin for expansion .

Latin moved first across the street then later to a new site.John Hancocks famous flourishing signature was cultivated by an outside private tutor while he attended Latin.Latin students were held to high standards then as now and a young gentleman was expected to have a distinctive flourish and flair .He,the tutor, later fled back to England when the revolt arose.

Read something of John Hancocks life.I formed an unfair opinion of him due to bad information but he was really quite the hidden patriot .After his father died his childless uncle adopted him and paid for all of his schooling to make him a gentleman of trade.His home was at the top of Beacon Hill overlooking the Boston Public Commons where people grazed their cattle that he viewed as his own front lawn.

The edge of the field today is the old Granary Grave yard where many famous people are buried.Hancock worked long and hard to prevent the town of Boston from converting part of the land he viewed as his own into a grave yard but he lost .Just a stroll through that place on a hot day looking at the names on the old stones is a brief lesson in Colonial Americana !

walter sobchak
04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
don't the vampires come from hot topic?

Last Samurai
04-07-2009, 04:13 PM
I assume the kids are required to read "The National Inquirer" instead of Reader's Digest in Frosh English these days. ;)

LS

noonwitch
04-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I assume the kids are required to read "The National Inquirer" instead of Reader's Digest in Frosh English these days. ;)

LS

Were you required to read Reader's Digest in frosh English?

I think the kids are still required to read Romeo and Juliet, and A Tale Of Two Cities in Frosh English, like they did when I was in school. The question is more did they learn how to read well enough in K-8 that they can successfully complete their reading assignments in 9th grade?

Last Samurai
04-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Amongst MANY other things, Yes. The objective was to obtain volcabulary building techniques from such standard departments as "Towards a more picturesque speech" and the vocabulary quiz, et al.

I WAS referring to High School Frosh English. (Just to be sure.)

Apparently the effort paid dividends.... I can bandy about four syllable words with the best of them.... AND understand what they mean too boot!

Nothing hurts my feelings more than to use a completely honest multisyllabic word, in perfect context, only to see the look of perplexity cross the visage of the recipient of my verbage. One can hear William F. Buckley spinning in his grave.

LS

Last Samurai
04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
The thought comes to mind.... since "Big Brother" HAS been elected, perhaps we could take the onus of learning ALL those nasty BIG words and what they mean out of the education process by adopting NewSpeak as the National Official Language. :eek:

(If the students don't come up to your standards.... lower your standards!) ;)

I wouldn't be much of a quantum leap from "Politically Correct" Speak and the Dem preferred "Doublespeak" to NewSpeak. But I suppose that would be doubleplusungood for most of us to have to take. :rolleyes:

LS

linda22003
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Nothing hurts my feelings more than to use a completely honest multisyllabic word, in perfect context, only to see the look of perplexity cross the visage of the recipient of my verbage. One can hear William F. Buckley spinning in his grave.

LS

Probably because you left the "i" out of "verbiage". And on another thread you spelled "loser" with two o's. :p

noonwitch
04-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Amongst MANY other things, Yes. The objective was to obtain volcabulary building techniques from such standard departments as "Towards a more picturesque speech" and the vocabulary quiz, et al.

I WAS referring to High School Frosh English. (Just to be sure.)

Apparently the effort paid dividends.... I can bandy about four syllable words with the best of them.... AND understand what they mean too boot!

LS

I forgot that they had the vocabulary tests in Reader's Digest. Those are probably somewhat helpful for a teacher who is too lazy to come up with his or her own tests. I always read the "Drama In Real Life" stories while I'm waiting at the dentist's office. My grandma used to read RD all the time, and when I was a kid, I could always read up on stories about serial killers and people surviving plane crashes with no adult ever questioning what I was reading, because it was RD.

Rebel Yell
04-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Probably because you left the "i" out of "verbiage". And on another thread you spelled "loser" with two o's. :p

But those are only 3 and 2 syllable words, respectively.:rolleyes: