PDA

View Full Version : Christian Book Expo is “a major disappointment”

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Christian Book Expo is “a major disappointment”
By Marjorie Kehe | 03.25.09

“Stacks of unsold books and glum publishers stood for three days inside the cavernous Dallas Convention Center this past weekend at the Christian Book Expo,” reports book trade journal Publishers Weekly. The event, which organizers had hoped would draw 15,000 to 20,000 consumer attendees instead attracted only about 1,500.

The Christian Book Expo was a first-of-its-kind event. According to PW it was “designed to connect publishers and authors directly with readers in the evangelical Christian market.” The intention was to increase awareness about the work of 238 Christian writers.

The event was two years in the planning – conceived long before the recent economic downturn.

http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2009/03/25/christian-book-expo-is-a-major-disappointment/

linda22003
03-27-2009, 11:02 AM
"The Christian Book Expo was a first-of-its-kind event."

And with that result, likely the last.

megimoo
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
http://features.csmonitor.com/books/2009/03/25/christian-book-expo-is-a-major-disappointment/It happens all the time so don't gloat too much. The best seller has always been the bible and a few other popular authors.

linda22003
03-27-2009, 11:10 AM
The Bible's out of copyright. This was meant to make a profit for more current authors and their publishers.

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
It happens all the time so don't gloat too much. The best seller has always been the bible and a few other popular authors.

I don't know... I hate to give your side hints (just kidding) but I think the problem with the Christian Book Expo was the limited scope. An expo featuring writers from a wide array of Christian denominations would have been much more of a draw than what was offered... which was an expo of evangelical writers. How dreary. Then again, asking evangelicals to share a tent with Catholics may be asking too much.

megimoo
03-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I don't know... I hate to give your side hints (just kidding) but I think the problem with the Christian Book Expo was the limited scope. An expo featuring writers from a wide array of Christian denominations would have been much more of a draw than what was offered... which was an expo of evangelical writers. How dreary. Then again, asking evangelicals to share a tent with Catholics may be asking too much.What would a 'bird' like you know of either ?

noonwitch
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't know... I hate to give your side hints (just kidding) but I think the problem with the Christian Book Expo was the limited scope. An expo featuring writers from a wide array of Christian denominations would have been much more of a draw than what was offered... which was an expo of evangelical writers. How dreary. Then again, asking evangelicals to share a tent with Catholics may be asking too much.

My church has a bookstore, and they sell a variety of books by different authors-even though it's a liberal church, the store sells books by TD Jakes and Joel Osteen, who are not exactly liberals, and they sell all the Unity publications and the trendy, new age books of the day. But they carry very little serious theology. They'll order it for you.

Family Bookstores, formerly Zondervan's Book Stores, sell a very limited selection of books, all of which are pretty much evangelical books.

It would be nice to find a store where I could buy books by Aquinas, More, Bonhoeffer, and TD Jakes. Oh, yeah, there is. It's called Borders.

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
My church has a bookstore, and they sell a variety of books by different authors-even though it's a liberal church, the store sells books by TD Jakes and Joel Osteen, who are not exactly liberals, and they sell all the Unity publications and the trendy, new age books of the day. But they carry very little serious theology. They'll order it for you.

Family Bookstores, formerly Zondervan's Book Stores, sell a very limited selection of books, all of which are pretty much evangelical books.

It would be nice to find a store where I could buy books by Aquinas, More, Bonhoeffer, and TD Jakes. Oh, yeah, there is. It's called Borders.

Those Zondervan stores are all over the place. I don't know how they turn a profit.

Gingersnap
03-27-2009, 12:11 PM
This Expo probably suffered from being behind the curve in Christian consumer behavior. Although there is still a perception that Christians are less likely to use the Internet or prefer face-time encounters in meat space more than most, I don't think that's necessarily true for things like this.

Accessing publishers and outlets on the Internet is way more convenient and pleasant than wandering around some cavernous expo hall.

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM

And Christian books still far outsell atheist books....

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 12:25 PM
And Christian books still far outsell atheist books....

...by a wide margin.

Constitutionally Speaking
03-27-2009, 12:55 PM

I share my bed and my home with a Catholic. Why is that such a big deal. You seem to have a skewed view of the majority of Christians.

megimoo
03-27-2009, 01:06 PM

It would be nice to find a store where I could buy books by Aquinas, More, Bonhoeffer, and TD Jakes. Oh, yeah, there is. It's called Borders.Log on to a local library web site and search for your author or title.If they haven't the book ask them to order it for you.Most big librarys have a book purchase fund they can use .

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I share my bed and my home with a Catholic. Why is that such a big deal. You seem to have a skewed view of the majority of Christians.

A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

PoliCon
03-27-2009, 02:28 PM
A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.Lots of atheists believe that they know what the Christian faith entails - doesn't make em right - your point?

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 02:33 PM
A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.

And a lot don't, so what is the point?

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Those Zondervan stores are all over the place. I don't know how they turn a profit.

There are independent book stores as well. We have a Christian book store here in town that is the size of a small warehouse and does a thriving business. I buy most of my theolgoical books from them. In fact they do so well that they opened a second one in the next county and it is doing just as good as the original.

A lot of people have an interest in spirituality and faith especially when times are tough. Why would they seek out atheistism in down times just be told that life is a big accident, unfair and totally pointless so just suck it up and wait to go back to the dust you came from.

Rebel Yell
03-27-2009, 02:56 PM
There are independent book stores as well. We have a Christian book store here in town that is the size of a small warehouse and does a thriving business. I buy most of my theolgoical books from them. In fact they do so well that they opened a second one in the next county and it is doing just as good as the original.

A lot of people have an interest in spirituality and faith especially when times are tough. Why would they seek out atheistism in down times just be told that life is a big accident, unfair and totally pointless so just suck it up and wait to go back to the dust you came from.

Why? Why? Why do you keep playing with him. Do you normally enjoy beating your head against a wall? I bet you're one of those people who play the same song over and over and over.

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Why? Why? Why do you keep playing with him. Do you normally enjoy beating your head against a wall? I bet you're one of those people who play the same song over and over and over.

I'm sure if God had a head to bang and a wall to bang it on He'd have banged it over me. All I try to do is reflect the same patience that God had with me. Besides, we don't know who God will eventually call to Himself... It might even be Night Owl.

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 05:28 PM

The fact that atheism offers neither comfort nor solace is one of the reasons why I've embraced it.

The Night Owl
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm sure if God had a head to bang and a wall to bang it on He'd have banged it over me. All I try to do is reflect the same patience that God had with me. Besides, we don't know who God will eventually call to Himself... It might even be Night Owl.

Even if I could be persuaded to believe that your god exists I wouldn't worship it.

JB
03-27-2009, 05:53 PM
The Christian Book Expo was a first-of-its-kind event.Just to relate...the first baseball game had 2 people attend.

MrsSmith
03-27-2009, 08:04 PM

There are Christian book stores everywhere. We have one in every small town around here...and they seem to be doing fine, even today. It sounds like they didn't do enough advertising. We aren't that far from Dallas, and Mr Smith is an ordained minister, so I'm really surprised that he hadn't heard about this. The way we are with books, we'd probably have gone down. :p

MrsSmith
03-27-2009, 08:05 PM
Even if I could be persuaded to believe that your god exists I wouldn't worship it.

Yeah, we all thought that at one time. :D

Gingersnap
03-27-2009, 08:53 PM
The fact that atheism offers neither comfort nor solace is one of the reasons why I've embraced it.

Jeez, dude, even crack whores and masochists get some kind of a charge out of their interests. Lighten up, it's not like you are going get atheism demerits for at least enjoying your empty, godless life. :p

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 09:27 PM

Which is truly a sad statement on you nature, whether you realize it or not. How do you respond to a belief system that provides not comfort? You attempt to poke holes in the beliefs of those who do find solace in their faith and when that doesn't work you mock them. Before you protest, your presence in the conversations prove this point.

FlaGator
03-27-2009, 09:34 PM

You act like you would have a choice if He called you. I said the same thing not so long ago but things changed. Your understanding of God is simplistic and your knowledge of His Word is even more so. Don't take that as criticism, mine was too before I came to believe. To get a glimpse of the true nature of my Heavenly Father is to have your eyes opened in the most unexpected and pleasant way. Until such a time, I will keep you in my prayers.

Black Phoenix
03-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Your God doesn't offer a choice whether to believe in him or not?

(Tosses Bible over shoulder, "I know it's not in there", picks up copy of Baptist doctrine 101 add ons.)

What pages are we reading from in your doctrine. I know we're probably not reading the Bible.

Let me guess, Electivism, chapter eight, the section on predestination.

No, I do not view this stuff as actually Biblical at all.

FlaGator
03-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Psalm 22:9

Yet you brought me out of the womb; you made me trust in you even at my mother’s breast.

Jeremiah 1:5

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart;I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

Matthew 24:22

If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened.

Matthew 24:24

For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect—if that were possible.

John 6:44

“No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Romans 8:28-30

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.

Ephesians 1:4-7

For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

Ephesians 1:11-12

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

MrsSmith
03-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Your God doesn't offer a choice whether to believe in him or not?

(Tosses Bible over shoulder, "I know it's not in there", picks up copy of Baptist doctrine 101 add ons.)

What pages are we reading from in your doctrine. I know we're probably not reading the Bible.

Let me guess, Electivism, chapter eight, the section on predestination.

No, I do not view this stuff as actually Biblical at all.

As God lives outside the framework of time, all times are now to Him. He has known since before He made the universe exactly which people would answer His call. We all have free will, but the "elect" are those who will freely answer His call...and He knows every person that will. I believe you have to have the proper understanding of His relationship to TIME before you can grasp the fact that predestination and free will are both true.

stsinner
03-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Jeez, dude, even crack whores and masochists get some kind of a charge out of their interests. Lighten up, it's not like you are going get atheism demerits for at least enjoying your empty, godless life. :p

Good one...

micmac
03-28-2009, 03:29 PM

That's nice, but as Dylan sang "we all have to serve someone, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you are going to serve someone." Who are you serving?

FlaGator
03-28-2009, 06:08 PM
That's nice, but as Dylan sang "we all have to serve someone, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord, but you are going to serve someone." Who are you serving?

I would say that he serves a internal need to try and disrupt people's faith since he can't help himself whenever the opportunity arises.