PDA

View Full Version : Earth Hour is Saturday Night

JB
03-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Flick your switch off for Earth Hour
By Trystan L. Bass

Do you want to show you care about energy conservation? Simply switch off your lights on March 28 from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m., local time.

This is Earth Hour, and Saturday is the third annual worldwide event. Earth Hour is both a symbolic act and the start of a practical habit.

Millions of homes and businesses and hundreds of major landmarks will go dark for one hour to show that energy conservation is imporant and to send this message to political leaders attending the United Nations Climate Change Conference in December 2009.

Both Nashville and Los Angeles are U.S. sponsor cities, so the Nashville Predators and the L.A. Kings hockey teams agreed to reschedule their game in Nashville to 5 p.m. The game should end around 7:30 p.m. with plenty of time for the arena to turn off the lights. <snipped>I don't see how moving the game up from 7:30 to 5:00 saves anything but, hey, good for them.
Get into the habit this weekend... by playing card games by a fire.Aye Carumba. Is it Earth Hour or Amish Hour? :D

Lights are bad mkay (http://green.yahoo.com/blog/greenpicks/236/flick-your-switch-off-for-earth-hour.html)

What will you be doing to do your part? Be creative.

asdf2231
03-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm going to turn on every light in the house and run my blender. :D

PoliCon
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Don't forget your mower and your cars!

stsinner
03-27-2009, 07:53 PM

What a half-hearted rebellion... I have two soldering irons I'm going to plug in, along with my Craftsman 33 gallon air compressor-the lights dim when that baby comes on, and the overpressure valve pops open before it reaches its 150 psi limit.... So it just keeps pumping and pumping.....

Actually, I think this hour is gay. Earth Hour starts every night around midnight when just about everyone in America is in bed with everything off... Let's be dopes and act like we're in bed already... How stupid. Just wait an hour or three, and all the lights will be out, anyway... And for more than an hour...

JB
03-27-2009, 07:58 PM
I've decided to not use my stove tomorrow night and instead will barbeque over a raging two-story high tire fire.

asdf2231
03-27-2009, 07:59 PM
What would be really cool is if all the states that still use the electric chair schedule executions during that time frame. :D

Mythic
03-27-2009, 08:38 PM
I know! I will by thousands of dollars worth of batteries so I don't have to use electricity! That will stimulate the economy!