PDA

View Full Version : Swedish School Confiscates Boy's Party Invitations

megimoo
06-30-2008, 06:52 AM
"We Will Tell You Who Your Friends Are !"

Stockholm, Sweden - A school has confiscated an 8-year-old boy's birthday party invitations after they were handed out during class because it said it had a duty to ensure against discrimination.

The boy handed out invitations to classmates at his school in Lund, southern Sweden, but did not invite two boys because they were not his friends, the Sydsvenskan newspaper reported earlier this week.
The school, 360 miles south of Stockholm, confiscated all the invitations, saying it objected because it had a duty to ensure against discrimination.

snip

The father told the newspaper that the two classmates were not invited because one had bullied his son and the other had not invited his son to the classmate's birthday party.

"My son has taken it very hard," the father told Sydsvenskan of the school's decision. "It's like taking someone's mail."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/ODD_SWEDEN_PARTY_SNUB?SITE=WHIZ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

movie buff
06-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Just when you think political correctness can't get more irritating or petty, something like this happens.

Vepr
06-30-2008, 08:55 AM
This is possibly the stupidest thing I have seen all year. Unfortunately it will probably be happening here in about 10 years. "Sorry little Li-Peng Xiao we have to take these invitations. We noticed you did not invite Juan and Chaquesha...."

LogansPapa
06-30-2008, 11:14 AM
When your country sets out a World War and becomes a Karl Heinrich Marx wet dream, "drama" like this is bound to occur. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
06-30-2008, 11:29 AM
This is possibly the stupidest thing I have seen all year. Unfortunately it will probably be happening here in about 10 years.

Uh, dude......it's been happening here for about 5 years that I know about. This is why I couldn't understand the international attention.

Kid's birthday parties have become bizarre status trips for the parents. They are certainly way more elaborate than the old fashioned cake, ice cream, and games thing I grew up attending. Because of the expense, parents naturally want to limit attendance while teachers naturally don't want a disruption in the classroom by the excluded kids. It's really a different day.

The rule now in a lot of places is that invitations passed out at school must include all kids in class or all the kids of one sex in the class. This is really very common.

Vepr
06-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Not happening in Georgia yet, not at my boys schools anyways.

Shannon
06-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Not happening in Georgia yet, not at my boys schools anyways.

It's been going on here (central Fl.) for at least 8 years. There is a note that is sent home at the beginning of each school year telling you that it's not permitted. I mail my son's birthday invitations. I find the rule absurd though.