PDA

View Full Version : Getting my life together

marinejcksn
04-01-2009, 07:58 PM
A little while ago, I posted in The Whiny Zone that I'd ruined my life and needed to vent. It's been close to a month now and I'm happy to post the following:

1. The Wife and I have decided on getting a divorce. I know, that doesn't necessarily sound "happy", but we're both acting like adults, no bad blood between us and we're staying friends so it's a good thing.

2. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 6 days.:D

3. I started Alcohol Treatment counciling 4 days a week, 4 hours a day at Pearl Harbor and the people there are great.

4. I've been to 2 AA meetings (we're required to go to at least 16) that I really enjoyed and I've gotten past the hardest Step for me personally, which was Step 1.

5. I'm moving back home to Pennsylvania, to be close to my family and get more involved in their lives and start fresh back where I belong out in the country!

6. I've decided to get out of the Marine Corps when my contract is up this summer. I've started applying for high paying positions back in Iraq with the civilian sector. Again, doesn't necessarily sound "happy", but something in my gut tells me Obama is going to be re-elected and I couldn't work for him for that long. I am, however, strongly considering entering the Pennsylvania National Guard.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all again for the kind words, warm spirits and all your assistance. You guys rock. :cool:

FlaGator
04-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Lord help me! Another CUer in PA :D

Hey I'm glad to hear that things are looking up. My divorce was amicable as well. We both behaved and were rewarded with a friendship that survived the marriage. I'm thrilled to hear the treatment is going well and that you are 6 days sober! Remember today is the only day you have to worry about not drinking. Keep that in mind and you'll never drink again.

Keep us all posted with how things are going. I think that I speak for all praying people at CU that you are in our prayers my friend! My the peace of God be always with you.

ralph wiggum
04-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Glad to hear it. Life is an interesting journey, and it sounds like you're doing your best to manage this bit of rough waters.

Bubba Dawg
04-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers, MJ.

Thanks for having the courage to share, and to take steps to move on in a positive way.

xavierob82
04-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I strongly recommend utilizing your education benefits--especially under Senator Webb's new GI Bill coming into effect in August of this year...you'd be a fool not to take advantage of it!!! Assuming you don't have a bachelor's degree, you're just in time to apply for the fall semester of 2009. And if you already have a BA, aim for your master's....if you got your grad degree, get your PhD, if you already have a PhD, take a basket-weaving course and get PAID for it. You can most definitely live off the GI Bill as a full-time college student, and still have $$$ left over to party.:D

I separated from the service when I was still relatively young, 21 years old, no marriage, no kids, and I felt like I had the entire world to conquer...Fresh off the plane from Germany, I boarded a train from Boston and with nothing but the clothes on my back and a suitcase, I just "showed up" in Washington DC not knowing a soul here, not knowing what to do, etc...Now, in the 5 years since I separated, I managed to get my bachelor's degree in an area I truly love (international politics/foreign affairs), lived the life of a carefree college "kid", studied abroad in England, had an amazing college experience & met some awesome people, taught English in Japan for a year, did the whole grad school thing (only lasted 2 semesters ;)), and just last week I began an awesome new job in foreign policy that pays exceptionally well. I owe the GI Bill for all that. Without it, I would probably be working at a gas station somewhere.

Consider your time as a Marine as just the "prologue" in the chapter of your life, and go on to bigger and better things! Good luck.

lurkalot
04-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Hang in there! 90 meetings in 90 days, it really can work for you! I'm sending prayers and thoughts your way.

Gingersnap
04-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Dude! This all sounds great! Take it as it comes and expect the very best of yourself. You'd be surprised at how little you disappoint yourself when you put your mind to it. As others have said, the good part is still on the way. ;)

lacarnut
04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Hate to hear about the divorce but like my ex g.f. used to say, shit happens. :)Sounds like you got a plan of action which is good. New surrounding with family and new friends might just be what the Dr. ordered. You definitely do not want to associate with people that drink all the time. That makes it tougher. I tried it that way and it does not work.

One little trick I played on my pea brain when I quit smoking was that everyday I would put $6 in an envelope (which was the amount I would spend on 3 packs of cigs). This would work on the amount of money you normally spend on booze. After accumulating several hundred dollars, I quit because my plan
served its purpose.

Good luck to you

PoliCon
04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Lord help me! Another CUer in PA :Dkeep it up and we'll send philly down there to you guys in florida. :p

PoliCon
04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all again for the kind words, warm spirits and all your assistance. You guys rock. :cool: You're welcome. :) just make sure you get real life fellowship and support as well. :)

asdf2231
04-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Just stay strong Bud.

That's cliche I know, but you are taking all the right first steps.

All you have to do from here is keep walking.

Speedy
04-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Well, I have kept it underwraps this long but Yvette and I went our seperate ways on Jan. 1st. Early last month I went to the doctor because I woke up one morning and I was seeing double. The saw bones sent me from his office straight to the hospital. Turns out my blood sugar was way high along with my blood pressure.

Now I am once again living in Sonora.

Sonnabend
04-02-2009, 05:24 AM
Do it.

And Godspeed.

FlaGator
04-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, I have kept it underwraps this long but Yvette and I went our seperate ways on Jan. 1st. Early last month I went to the doctor because I woke up one morning and I was seeing double. The saw bones sent me from his office straight to the hospital. Turns out my blood sugar was way high along with my blood pressure.

Now I am once again living in Sonora.

Sorry to hear about that speed. Keep close tabs on the blood sugar. Get yourself one of those blood/sugar meters. They only cost about $15. I hope you can work things out with Yvette. You seemed to love her a lot and people we can truly love are hard to come by in this day and age. I will keep you both in my prayers and pray that God's will be done in your life.

Molon Labe
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Glad to see you're at peace with these tough decisions and finding your way through all the muck.

If you join the PA guard, you get to visit Ft. Indiantown Gap bunches.....:p

noonwitch
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm glad for you that things are going better for you. Xavier had some good advice as far as educational benefits to veterens goes.

I hope you find a good AA sponsor, that you can relate to and who maybe also has some military experience himself. Having a sponsor who's had a similar backround is very helpful.

Rebel Yell
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Hang in there, buddy. It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but the destination is well worth it.

AlmostThere
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Remember, today is the only day you have to worry about not drinking.

That is the answer right there. It really is that simple. You only have to fight it one day at a time. Good luck.

marinejcksn
04-02-2009, 06:50 PM
If you join the PA guard, you get to visit Ft. Indiantown Gap bunches.....:p

That's where my best friend and his dad drill! :D

Lanie
04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
A little while ago, I posted in The Whiny Zone that I'd ruined my life and needed to vent. It's been close to a month now and I'm happy to post the following:

1. The Wife and I have decided on getting a divorce. I know, that doesn't necessarily sound "happy", but we're both acting like adults, no bad blood between us and we're staying friends so it's a good thing.

2. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 6 days.:D

3. I started Alcohol Treatment counciling 4 days a week, 4 hours a day at Pearl Harbor and the people there are great.

4. I've been to 2 AA meetings (we're required to go to at least 16) that I really enjoyed and I've gotten past the hardest Step for me personally, which was Step 1.

5. I'm moving back home to Pennsylvania, to be close to my family and get more involved in their lives and start fresh back where I belong out in the country!

6. I've decided to get out of the Marine Corps when my contract is up this summer. I've started applying for high paying positions back in Iraq with the civilian sector. Again, doesn't necessarily sound "happy", but something in my gut tells me Obama is going to be re-elected and I couldn't work for him for that long. I am, however, strongly considering entering the Pennsylvania National Guard.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you all again for the kind words, warm spirits and all your assistance. You guys rock. :cool:

That is all good to hear. Good luck. :)