PDA

View Full Version : Chili left out for over 6 hours... still edible?

Dyne
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I made chilly last night. Took a few hours. Today my roommate left it on the stove for about 6 and a half hours >_<

My question is.. is it still edible? I don't have anything else to eat and I don't want something that could have lasted another couple days to go to waste. If it matters, what was in it was onions, ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, peppers, and chillies. What do you all think? I'm hungry!! :(

Oh, and it was covered.

megimoo
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I made chilly last night. Took a few hours. Today my roommate left it on the stove for about 6 and a half hours >_<

My question is.. is it still edible? I don't have anything else to eat and I don't want something that could have lasted another couple days to go to waste. If it matters, what was in it was onions, ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, peppers, and chillies. What do you all think? I'm hungry!! :(

Oh, and it was covered.You may have a touch of Montezuma's revenge but a botulism could have grown.Chances are you will just have a slight case of the blithering s*its !

Gingersnap
04-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Everything cooked already. Just heat it up to boiling for a couple of minutes on the stove (not the microwave) and you'll be fine. People are more afraid of food than they need to be (and they are a lot less hygienic than they should be).

You don't want to "sterilize" it in the microwave because food heats too unevenly there. You could have small pockets of non-boiling. Five minutes at a rapid boil and whatever may have tried to grow there will be history.

asdf2231
04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Just in case though can I have your Wii if it goes badly?

:D

PoliCon
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Real men eat chili that's been out for days on the open trail. FIRE is the key.

FlaGator
04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Just in case though can I have your Wii if it goes badly?

:D

Somebody already got his avatar.

Apocalypse
04-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Meat Cutter. I get asked all the time questions on food being good or not. I tell them all basically the same rules.

1. If it looks funny, throw it out.

2. If it smells funny, throw it out.

3. If it feels slimy, throw it out.

And most of all, the #1 rule to obey above all others.

If in doubt, throw it out. Its just not worth risking getting sick.

Gingersnap
04-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Meat Cutter. I get asked all the time questions on food being good or not. I tell them all basically the same rules.

1. If it looks funny, throw it out.

2. If it smells funny, throw it out.

3. If it feels slimy, throw it out.

And most of all, the #1 rule to obey above all others.

If in doubt, throw it out. Its just not worth risking getting sick.

It's chili. It already looks funny, smells funny and feels slimy. Better living through chemistry is my advice and fire is the obvious solution in this case. :D

Seriously though, you're right on point. And the reverse is also true: if it doesn't look funny, smell funny, or form slime - it's probably okay no matter what the 'best buy' date says. People are too quick to toss out perfectly good food these days. I have a girlfriend who routinely dumps meat if it turns brown in her fridge.

That's oxygen at work, people! Your hamburger is still street-legal even if it isn't rosy red. :rolleyes:

Apocalypse
04-02-2009, 01:06 AM
It's chili. It already looks funny, smells funny and feels slimy. Better living through chemistry is my advice and fire is the obvious solution in this case. :D

Seriously though, you're right on point. And the reverse is also true: if it doesn't look funny, smell funny, or form slime - it's probably okay no matter what the 'best buy' date says. People are too quick to toss out perfectly good food these days. I have a girlfriend who routinely dumps meat if it turns brown in her fridge.

That's oxygen at work, people! Your hamburger is still street-legal even if it isn't rosy red. :rolleyes:
There's a term for that, and you may wish to show your friend this.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/dry_aged_beef.htm

Aged Beef, its an old fashioned way of preserving meat. Today people still do it to add flavor.

RobJohnson
04-02-2009, 02:14 AM

Oh, and it was covered.

Too risky, throw it out.

It might of been in the tempature danger zone too long.

linda22003
04-02-2009, 08:15 AM
If following Ginger's advice, bear in mind that she has a strong faith in God and is ready and willing to meet Jesus at any time.

Personally, I would not eat the chili.

FlaGator
04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
We haven't heard from Dyne in a while. I guess he ate the Chili.

Gingersnap
04-02-2009, 09:29 AM
If following Ginger's advice, bear in mind that she has a strong faith in God and is ready and willing to meet Jesus at any time.

Personally, I would not eat the chili.

It's true but I don't think any of us will meet Jesus over chili. Egg salad, crab salad, or certain home canned items are a whole different level of faith. :D

linda22003
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Especially the canned items with bulging lids. :eek: