PDA

View Full Version : Avoid Dollar `At All Costs,'

LogansPapa
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Avoid Dollar `At All Costs,' Investor Rogers Says (Update2)

By Zhang Shidong

June 30 (Bloomberg) -- Jim Rogers, who in April 2006 correctly predicted oil would reach $100 a barrel and gold $1,000 an ounce, said investors should steer clear of the dollar as the U.S. economy slows and favor commodities this year.

The dollar has slipped 7.7 percent against the euro and 5.9 percent versus the yen in 2008 as the Federal Reserve cut interest rates to stave off a U.S. recession. Oil prices have doubled in the past 12 months, while gold is up 44 percent.

Avoid the dollar ``at all costs,'' Rogers, chairman of Rogers Holdings, said in a speech in Shanghai today. ``The best investments in 2008 are commodities and natural resources. Agricultural prices have much higher to go over the next decade. We have a shortage of everything, including seeds.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aLr71mSZqOLI

lacarnut
06-30-2008, 02:07 PM
I think he is spot on about commodities and natural resources. However, I don't see as much up side to gold past $1k per ounce as other natural resources such as oil, coal, iron ore, etc. I would not touch (invest in) the dollar with a 10 foot pole.

Goldwater
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
I think he is spot on about commodities and natural resources. However, I don't see as much up side to gold past $1k per ounce as other natural resources such as oil, coal, iron ore, etc. I would not touch (invest in) the dollar with a 10 foot pole.

So you're not as crazy as I thought. Interesting.

lacarnut
06-30-2008, 09:40 PM
So you're not as crazy as I thought. Interesting.

I always put my money where my mouth is. No doubt about it.

I think you stated that you thought that Obama was going to beat McCain. If true, you can load the wagon up and we can place a wager on it.

Goldwater
06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
I always put my money where my mouth is. No doubt about it.

I think you stated that you thought that Obama was going to beat McCain. If true, you can load the wagon up and we can place a wager on it.

It's not a sure thing, but yeah I think Obama has more of a chance and McCain is the outside guy, especially when there are more factors against him than against Obama when it comes to the actual vote.

lacarnut
06-30-2008, 09:55 PM
It's not a sure thing, but yeah I think Obama has more of a chance and McCain is the outside guy, especially when there are more factors against him than against Obama when it comes to the actual vote.

I think that is a nutty analogy because McCain will win the majority of independents and wind up with more Hispanic votes than GWB. McCain has a good chance of picking off 2 or 3 northeastern states like PA and NJ. If that happens, the ball game is over and McCain will be declared the winner by 11:00 pm CST.

Goldwater
06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I think that is a nutty analogy because McCain will win the majority of independents and wind up with more Hispanic votes than GWB. McCain has a good chance of picking off 2 or 3 northeastern states like PA and NJ. If that happens, the ball game is over and McCain will be declared the winner by 11:00 pm CST.

But you forget Bob Barr (who looks like he might be a Ralph Nader conservative protest vote), you forget how much enthusiasm the Democrats have this year and you forget how much of a sucky speaker McCain is. Someone said on this board it might be like Nixon/Kennedy, both sucking in debates but Obama looking better.

lacarnut
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
But you forget Bob Barr (who looks like he might be a Ralph Nader conservative protest vote), you forget how much enthusiasm the Democrats have this year and you forget how much of a sucky speaker McCain is. Someone said on this board it might be like Nixon/Kennedy, both sucking in debates but Obama looking better.

When Obama has to answer the nitty gritty questions about taxes, defense, military, government spending, McCain will eat his lunch in the debates. The Magic Negro is damn good at canned speeches but is not worth a hoot off the cuff. Obama is an amateur and will make many mistakes before election day. His poll numbers will keep going down because of his stupidity and his left wing surrogates.

There was a lot of enthusiasm for Kerry, Gore and Dukais; none got elected. It is a proven fact that left wing liberals can not win presidential elections. Although the Repubs need to stay a million miles away from the issue of race, race will play an important role in voting; a poll showed that 3 out of 10 will consider race as a factor in voting. Blacks will vote for blacks in huge numbers. Many whites in the northeast will vote for McCain based on his race. For example, the school system in Boston is one of the most segregated cities in America. I left out racist.

Yeah, I did forget about Bob Barr who will only make about as much difference as a Nat on an elephants ass as far as votes go. His votes outside the South will be of little consequence; Nader will have a bigger influence on states that Obama must win to have a chance like WA, OR, etc.

Goldwater
06-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I did forget about Bob Barr who will only make about as much difference as a Nat on an elephants ass as far as votes go. His votes outside the South will be of little consequence; Nader will have a bigger influence on states that Obama must win to have a chance like WA, OR, etc.

I don't think liberals will fall for the Nader thing again, he practically got his way since 2000, the whole party is far left.

lacarnut
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I don't think liberals will fall for the Nader thing again, he practically got his way since 2000, the whole party is far left.

Not so fast; Obama is moving to the center. He has to moderate his left wing liberal positions to win independent voters who by the way will determine the outcome of the election. In doing so, he will piss of the Env. wackos and the hard core leftist liberals.