PDA

View Full Version : Cyber-sick Thursday

FlaGator
04-02-2009, 08:20 AM
The day is starting off nice considering it has rained about 4 to 6 inches in the last 48 hours. The break in the rain will be over tonight as more heavy thunderstorms roll through bringing a couple more inches of rain. Flooding in all the usual areas so basically its a typical spring day in Northeast Florida.

TOTD: Lately I haven't and any really good TOTD topics to post but while doing some reading yesterday I came up with one that should be a lot of fun to think about. Yesterday was the day of the dreaded Conficker worm and it panned out to be nothing major. But what I thought was interesting was a article Ginger posted in the tech forum. Here is an except from it

Lori Lynn Pavlovich, a mother of four from Racine, Wis., unplugged her PC and vowed to stay offline for a week after seeing a local TV news report about the worm.

"I get scared real easy when it comes to stuff like that," she said. Pavlovich, who says she keeps her antivirus software and security patches up to date, got back online 24 hours later after a relative assured her that her system was safe.

This got me thinking, we need a new word to replace hyperchondria when dealing with people who think they have or will get every computer virus that comes down the pike. In fact we could have a whole series of new names that would equal mental disorders like munchausen syndrome, munchausen by proxy and mysophobia. Can you think of any good names for these mental disorders that would reflect their cyber/virtual nature? I toss out one to start.

Hyperchondria = Cyberchondria.

Can you think of any mental illnesses that have a cyber counter part? List them and the cyber name

patriot45
04-02-2009, 09:47 AM
TOTD: Laptopaphobia or popupadectomy!

Gingersnap
04-02-2009, 09:55 AM
It's nice and bright today. Last night's storm was intense but short so there's only 3 or 4 inches of snow at my house (and rapidly vanishing).

TOTD: I dunno. I certainly know people who have Attachment Disorder. This is the inability to avoid opening random attachments. I have Photophobia: the fear of winding up like that fat Chinese kid did a few years back. The there are the various CTDs or Compulsive Texting Disorders. They have treatments for that nowadays. :D

PoliCon
04-02-2009, 10:23 AM
TOTD - Trollitis

linda22003
04-02-2009, 10:39 AM
TOTD - Trollitis

Chronic and incurable.:(

PoliCon
04-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Chronic and incurable.:(

almost as bad as irritable poster syndrome

RobJohnson
04-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Oh my...Elmo is on the Today show and he is "green"......he is no longer red...

Strong winds today are expected with a high in the low 80's...