PDA

View Full Version : I need advice

Rireelino
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Hello!
I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like www.conservativeunderground.com is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "Humor" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

FlaGator
04-04-2009, 07:31 PM
Hello!
I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like www.conservativeunderground.com is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "Humor" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

I got laid off back in February and I've been doing some freelance web design. I do some stuff for churches and missionaries and they give me receipts for donated time (for example 40 hours at $100.00 an hour) that I'll use on my taxes next year. I also and doing some stuff for a couple of small businesses that want their sites to be more interactive. One that I am working on is for a home designer (not a lot of business right now) and I'm going to put about 500 to 1000 of his drawnings on a host server with a MySQL database as a search engine, a shopping cart feature (which I found on a php widget site), purchasing page and a secure download for customers who want the plans immediately. I got a hold of person through some mutual interests that we share. I have also made contact with others who want work done.

Start talking yourself up and what you do at any places where you and friends gather. You'd be surprised at how many small business owners want something more than content only sites. Start undercutting your competition. If you start of making just enough to pay the bills then your doing ok. I'm going back to work next month but I plan to keep this side business going. I'm going to incorporate later next month. I don't need it to be my main source of income, but if I can make enough at it, I'll start doing design full time.

SarasotaRepub
04-04-2009, 09:46 PM
I moved this thread to the Lounge, FlaGator pointed it out to me and it'll get
noticed more here than in Humor. :)

Shannon
04-05-2009, 12:21 AM
You're screwed, buddy.

Moon
04-05-2009, 12:25 AM
You're screwed, buddy.

I love your empathy and tenderness in trying times such as these.

:D

linda22003
04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
You're screwed, buddy.

Rireelino, meet Shannon. Shannon is sort of the Mother Theresa of CU. ;)

BadCat
04-05-2009, 05:05 PM

And she knows nothing about web design, or opportunities therein, so feel feel free to ignore her.

patriot45
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
And she knows nothing about web design, or opportunities therein, so feel feel free to ignore her.

You are a broken record.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/lastweek2-1.jpg

Pretty pathetic, a post from Shannon and then a stalking snark from you! Keep up your good work.:rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM

LOL!!!! :D

Lanie
04-05-2009, 08:09 PM
You might have to take a job that is below your experience for a while until you can get the job you want. I realize a lot of employers will not hire those who are "underqualified", but many will if you convince them you want to work for them.

Good luck.

FlaGator
04-06-2009, 05:57 AM
You're screwed, buddy.

Talk about screwed... how do you like those $5.00 a pack cigarettes?

BadCat
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
You are a broken record.

Pretty pathetic, a post from Shannon and then a stalking snark from you! Keep up your good work.:rolleyes:

Let's see, a newbie comes in and asks a question.

Your favourite bartender comes in and makes a stupid nasty remark about something she knows nothing of.

I tell the newb to ignore her comment.

You get your panties in a bunch.

Do I have that right?

lacarnut
04-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Talk about screwed... how do you like those $5.00 a pack cigarettes?

Glad I quit many years ago. 24 bucks a carton back then. Cigs at CVS were $4.50 a pack and $42.50 for a carton.

If you gotta smoke you can order Marlboro from the Ukraine produced by P.M. for $17 a carton. Google carton of cigs.

Moon
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Let's see, a newbie comes in and asks a question.

Your favourite bartender comes in and makes a stupid nasty remark about something she knows nothing of.

I tell the newb to ignore her comment.

You get your panties in a bunch.

Do I have that right?

Your whole stalking thing needs some work...you really suck at it. Go see Gingersnap for advice and guidance. STAT!

PoliCon
04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Sadly as you see - many of the members here have baggage from other forums where they are all members together and they like to bring it here and spread it around. Luckily not all of us do that. :)

FlaGator
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Sadly as you see - many of the members here have baggage from other forums where they are all members together and they like to bring it here and spread it around. Luckily not all of us do that. :)

The baggage in question got packed at CU...