PDA

View Full Version : Rush's fans have rights, too .

megimoo
04-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia cites danger of limiting what can be heard and when

COMMENTARY:

While President Obama's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) prepares to attack conservative talk radio with some version of the Fairness Doctrine, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in open court last week may have thrown a bombshell into those plans.

During oral argument in the case of Citizens United v. Federal Elections Commission, Justice Scalia said, "Do you think that there's a possibility that the First Amendment interest is greater when what the government is trying to stifle is not just a speaker who wants to say something but also a hearer who wants to hear what the speaker has to say?"

In other words, Justice Scalia raised the possibility that Rush Limbaugh's 20 million fans, as well as the listeners to 2,000 other radio talk shows, have constitutional rights, too. In particular, they have a right to choose what they want to listen to, or to watch, without government interference.

In fact, the courts have long recognized such a constitutional right to listen, as well as the free speech right of a speaker to speak. In Rossignol v. Voorhaar, the U.S. 4th Circuit Court of Appeals held in 2003 that the First Amendment protects both a speaker's right to communicate information and ideas to a broad audience and the intended recipients' right to receive that information and those ideas.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/05/rushs-fans-have-rights-too/

PoliCon
04-06-2009, 12:12 AM
LOL - I never thought of approaching the issue this way . . . . I'm going to be contacting my senators and rep to have them take the freedom to listen pledge . . . of course none of them will - but I'll get to be a pain in their asses about it.

samurai
04-06-2009, 03:19 AM
Very good point! I want my daily Rush!