PDA

View Full Version : 1st ribs on the grill this year!!

patriot45
04-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Ok, Ginger and Gator, this aint the smokers bible or anything, this is just good grillin!

Rub the ribs with your fav rub - mine happens to be Grillmasters pork rub.
Refridge overnite.
Soak some hickory chunks in water for 1/2 hour, wrap in tin foil packet
Pre-heat grill to 250, burners one side only.
Set the packet of hickory over the lit burners and the ribs on the unlit side.

Cook for 3 hours, after 1.5 hours turn the ribs around.
I like to spritz them with a spray bottle with pineapple juice mixed with beef broth, keeps them moist.

You cannot buy ribs this good!

Rubbed and on the grill
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food034.jpg

Tip for Gator, when the bones start sticking out, they are done!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food035.jpg

Heaven

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food037.jpg

I'm in Heaven!
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i230/patriot45270/food038.jpg

gator
04-05-2009, 06:59 PM
It is hard to mess ribs up but putting them on a gas grill like that is a good way to start.

Gas is a hot dry heat that is not very good for cooking most meats. It dries meat out very easily. That is the reason real BBQ is usually cooked another way.

If you want to use a gas grill for ribs the best thing to do is wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven over low heat for a couple of hours. Then put them on the grill to sear them. They will be more juciy and tender than cooking them on the grill the entire time.

By the way, I had shrimp and grits for supper tonight. I didn't take any pictures but I used this recipe. I used bacon instead of ham and Florida shrimp and this a great supper. I used the high calorie recipe this time because I wanted to see what the recipe tasted like.. The next time I will cut down on the fat. For instance I will use 2% cheese and fat free half and half instead of heavy cream.

Ingredients

Shrimp:
1 1/2 pounds (26-30 count) Wild Georgia Shrimp
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (recommended: Tone's Louisiana Cajun seasoning)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper

Grits:
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (recommended: Knorr)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 cup quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 1/2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar

Sauce:
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
1 slice sugar-cured country ham

Directions
First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring water, chicken bouillon cubes and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy. Don't skimp on the butter and the cream, folks.

Now saute the shrimp. In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook only until they're just done and tender. Don't overcook. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl. You can taste 1 or 2, to see if they're okay.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.

And last, a little country ham. Cook 1 center slice of cured country ham in a saute pan, and cut into cubes.

To serve, and this is the best part-place a few heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a place, top with several sizzling shrimp. Drizzle that wonderful roux sauce over top of the shrimp, and sprinkle on a few cubes of country ham. Enjoy.

patriot45
04-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey buddy, your recipe looks good, I gotta try it.

But!

It is hard to mess ribs up but putting them on a gas grill like that is a good way to start.

Gas is a hot dry heat that is not very good for cooking most meats. It dries meat out very easily. That is the reason real BBQ is usually cooked another way.

If you want to use a gas grill for ribs the best thing to do is wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven over low heat for a couple of hours. Then put them on the grill to sear them. They will be more juciy and tender than cooking them on the grill the entire time.

You know not what you say! Dry? Did you get the part about spritzing them with some nice juices!?!
Got the smoke - Check
Got the slow cook - check
Got the moist - check
Got the juice all over the chin - check!!! :D

megimoo
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM

By the way, I had shrimp and grits for supper tonight. I didn't take any pictures but I used this recipe. I used bacon instead of ham and Florida shrimp and this a great supper. I used the high calorie recipe this time because I wanted to see what the recipe tasted like.. The next time I will cut down on the fat. For instance I will use 2% cheese and fat free half and half instead of heavy cream.

Ingredients

Shrimp:
1 1/2 pounds (26-30 count) Wild Georgia Shrimp
2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (recommended: Tone's Louisiana Cajun seasoning)
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper

Grits:
2 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes (recommended: Knorr)
1 cup quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 1/2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar

Sauce:
1 tablespoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
1 slice sugar-cured country ham

Directions
First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring water, chicken bouillon cubes and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy. Don't skimp on the butter and the cream, folks.

Now saute the shrimp. In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook only until they're just done and tender. Don't overcook. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl. You can taste 1 or 2, to see if they're okay.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.

And last, a little country ham. Cook 1 center slice of cured country ham in a saute pan, and cut into cubes.

To serve, and this is the best part-place a few heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a place, top with several sizzling shrimp. Drizzle that wonderful roux sauce over top of the shrimp, and sprinkle on a few cubes of country ham. Enjoy.No wonder your cholesterol level is so high !

gator
04-05-2009, 08:08 PM
No wonder your cholesterol level is so high !

I actually have very low cholesterol levels. The highest I have ever had in my life has been 126. Most of the time it is around 110-115.

I don't usually eat things like this but the receope looked so good I had to try it. Trust me, I saved up my calories all week and I had a small serving of the shrimp and grits. The next time it is made it will be lower in calories and fat. I just wanted to see what the high test model tasted like.

megimoo
04-05-2009, 08:28 PM
I actually have very low cholesterol levels. The highest I have ever had in my life has been 126. Most of the time it is around 110-115.

I don't usually eat things like this but the receope looked so good I had to try it. Trust me, I saved up my calories all week and I had a small serving of the shrimp and grits. The next time it is made it will be lower in calories and fat. I just wanted to see what the high test model tasted like.I know,I'm just pulling your chain .I've read in the past of your desire to eat more barbecue and your wife wanting to keep you alive a while longer.

Space Gravy
04-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I've got to pick up my Big Green Egg this week. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces this long weekend.

patriot45
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I've got to pick up my Big Green Egg this week. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces this long weekend.

I waant one too! I heard you can get that booger over 1000 degrees! Sear a steak, Oh my! And you can keep the temp down enuf to cook some killer ribs! Post pics!

Space Gravy
04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I waant one too! I heard you can get that booger over 1000 degrees! Sear a steak, Oh my! And you can keep the temp down enuf to cook some killer ribs! Post pics!

I've heard from word of mouth from a few people they are awesome. I'll know soon enough.

Check out some of these videos.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/videos/videos.html

patriot45
04-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I've heard from word of mouth from a few people they are awesome. I'll know soon enough.

I didn't go to the link, but last year at the Pig Jam they have here in Plant City, the guy with the Eggs had some pretty good ribs! You will enjoy!

gator
04-06-2009, 08:50 AM

You always want the wrong thing. A Big Green Egg is really nothing more than an expensive and hard to use pressure cooker.

Gas grills, Cuban boxes, Green Eggs; they all are substitutes for the real thing.

To get the real in depth BBQ flavor you need a smoker with an offset fire box. You need to cook real slow with real wood to get the real BBQ flavor. Anything other than that and you are missing the boat. You may turn out decent food with these other gadgets but it is not the real thing. I have been telling you that for years.

The stereotype for you yankee boys is that you are hard headed and stubborn. Just listen to Uncle Gator for a change and you thank me for it later. You know that I am always right.

Gingersnap
04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
You always want the wrong thing. A Big Green Egg is really nothing more than an expensive and hard to use pressure cooker.

Gas grills, Cuban boxes, Green Eggs; they all are substitutes for the real thing.

To get the real in depth BBQ flavor you need a smoker with an offset fire box. You need to cook real slow with real wood to get the real BBQ flavor. Anything other than that and you are missing the boat. You may turn out decent food with these other gadgets but it is not the real thing. I have been telling you that for years.

The stereotype for you yankee boys is that you are hard headed and stubborn. Just listen to Uncle Gator for a change and you thank me for it later. You know that I am always right.

I've gotta go with Gator on this. God invented burnable trees for the sole purpose of providing charcoal and tasty woods to be used in BBQ. The shade and fruit and all that are just examples of Divine generosity.

Of course, ribs cooked almost any way are superior to a lot of food. :)

gator
04-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Of course, ribs cooked almost any way are superior to a lot of food. :)

Ribs are just like sex. The worst I have ever has in my life was still wonderful.

megimoo
04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
Ribs are just like sex. The worst I have ever has in my life was still wonderful.
How high did you rate the Gator sex ?Just kidding . what brand smoker do you use ?I have been planning to build my own with an offset smoke box and burning hickory wood !They don't look very difficult to design and fabricate .

Also how do you feel about the vertical electric fired water smokers ? The Grill/smokers I've seen have a rather small smoke box unless you plan on buying an elaborate competition job but those are sure expensive.

I just want to smoke some brisket,fish and turn some smoked jalapeño into chipotles and someday even try a turkey.I've had some good results with an old beat-up charcoal grill with a small castiron frying pan filled with hardwood sawdust but I have to change the sawdust after about an hour and lose the smoke.

Those offset boxes are good because they keep the heat down and minimizes smoke loss when more wood is needed . The meat smokes and doesn't overheat .

TandT
04-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I did boston butts yesterday .....and used a dry rub, originally found on the web a few years ago and have modified it to the following:

3 parts Coarse Black Pepper
3 parts Kosher Salt
3 parts Brown Sugar
2 parts Spanish Paprika
2 parts Garlic Powder, and
2 parts Cumin

Turned out EXCELLENT ....

Put the butts on at 0730 @ 215 - 220 degrees with Charcoal and apple wood for the smoke ...

2 hours later began mopping the butts hourly with a solution of:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
3 TBS worcestershire sauce
2 TBS vegetable oil and
3 TBS black pepper

Butts were on for 10 hours --- at the 8 hour mark - stopped smoking, wrapped them in foil and returned to the cooker for 2 hours at @ 300 degrees ...

FALL OF THE BONE, MELT IN YOUR MOUTH good, my friends .... DID NOT need any BBQ sauce ----- wish you could have joined us ...

BTW, i have a char broil silver smoker looking very near like the photo below

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4511484/BBQ-main_Full.jpg

gator
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
[SIZE="3"]How high did you rate the Gator sex ?

I was drunk, I don't remember it very well but my friends told me I had a great time.

what brand smoker do you use ?I have been planning to build my own with an offset smoke box and burning hickory wood !They don't look very difficult to design and fabricate .

I don't have a smoker now. I can buy all the good BBQ I want so there is no need for me to fix my own. When I lived in Washington State and couldn't get real BBQ I bought a Brinkman's down at WalMart and it worked fine. The only problem is that I had to use apple wood because they didn't have hickory.

By the way, it took me about a year before I learned how to make good BBQ. There is a lot to learn and you won't get it right the first time.

Also how do you feel about the vertical electric fired water smokers ?

They are slightly better than gas grills but that is about it. They are a subsitute but still nowhere as good. I would get a charcoal one before an electric.

I just want to smoke some brisket,fish and turn some smoked jalapeño into chipotles and someday even try a turkey.I've had some good results with an old beat-up charcoal grill with a small castiron frying pan filled with hardwood sawdust but I have to change the sawdust after about an hour and lose the smoke.

You can do a lot with a charcoal grill.

The best by far to get is an offset firebox smoker. If you don't want to get one then you will never cook really good meat.

The second best is a charcoal grill or charcoal smoker. That will be a passable subsitute.

Electric and gas grills/smokers will dry out meat for the most part and will never be anywhere as good.

Gas grills have their place. People use them because they are easy but they don't even come close to a real smoker. I have a Weber and I use it to brown meat sometimes before putting it into the oven and to cook hot dogs. It is a good emergency heat source in case we have a hurricane but it really doesn't cook meat all that good.

I can cook much better steaks or hamburgers in a hot cast iron skillet than I can on a gas grill. You very seldom find professional cooks using a gas grill and there is a reason for it. Some people can cook good food on a gas grill but they are few and far between.

megimoo
04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
I was drunk, I don't remember it very well but my friends told me I had a great time.

I don't have a smoker now. I can buy all the good BBQ I want so there is no need for me to fix my own. When I lived in Washington State and couldn't get real BBQ I bought a Brinkman's down at WalMart and it worked fine. The only problem is that I had to use apple wood because they didn't have hickory.

By the way, it took me about a year before I learned how to make good BBQ. There is a lot to learn and you won't get it right the first time.

They are slightly better than gas grills but that is about it. They are a subsitute but still nowhere as good. I would get a charcoal one before an electric.

You can do a lot with a charcoal grill.

The best by far to get is an offset firebox smoker. If you don't want to get one then you will never cook really good meat.

The second best is a charcoal grill or charcoal smoker. That will be a passable subsitute.

Electric and gas grills/smokers will dry out meat for the most part and will never be anywhere as good.

Gas grills have their place. People use them because they are easy but they don't even come close to a real smoker. I have a Weber and I use it to brown meat sometimes before putting it into the oven and to cook hot dogs. It is a good emergency heat source in case we have a hurricane but it really doesn't cook meat all that good.

I can cook much better steaks or hamburgers in a hot cast iron skillet than I can on a gas grill. You very seldom find professional cooks using a gas grill and there is a reason for it. Some people can cook good food on a gas grill but they are few and far between.Good advice,Thank you !

Hawkgirl
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Lots of grill snobs here I see...lol

Patriot, those ribs are making my mouth water...Also, I have slow cooked baby back ribs on my dad's gas grill, and they were delicious, falling off the bone juicy and tender.

But me, personally, I use an old school Weber charcoal grill.

TandT
04-07-2009, 02:12 PM
Lots of grill snobs here I see...lol

Patriot, those ribs are making my mouth water...Also, I have slow cooked baby back ribs on my dad's gas grill, and they were delicious, falling off the bone juicy and tender.

But me, personally, I use an old school Weber charcoal grill.

when i grill (or have a small portion to smoke) i also use the pot-bellied weber ...

truth be told, i have NEVER used a gas grill .... :D

PoliCon
06-21-2010, 09:37 PM

Oh hot damn! That's almost as sexy as Megan Fox that is! :D

Rockntractor
06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
when i grill (or have a small portion to smoke) i also use the pot-bellied weber ...

truth be told, i have NEVER used a gas grill .... :D

Natural gas is mostly methane and so are farts!