PDA

View Full Version : Holy Tuesday

PoliCon
04-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Holy week - The week before Easter is one of the most important time periods in the Christian Calendar. This week Christianity remember the betrayal of Christ - the washing of his feet, His trial and crucifixion, the celebration of the last supper, the founding of the priesthood, the institution of the eucharist and the mass - and the fulfillment of the Old Testament Passover.

TOTD -
FOR THE BELIEVERS - What will you be doing this week different than usual? attending any special services? Eating any special meals?

Myself - I'll be attending Spy Wendsday services - the mass of pre-sanctification, a passover sadar, and a foot washing and all night vigil Thursday night - I'll do 2 hours of vigil time in the ante-chapel - veneration of the cross on Good Friday - and Mass of the Resurrection Saturday evening.

FOR THE HEATHEN - What color fire would you like to burn in when you get to hell? :p

linda22003
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I fast on Good Friday and attend the afternoon three-hour service. Since it's generally assumed here that I'm going to hell anyway, I'll say pink, with orange tips.

PoliCon
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I fast on Good Friday and attend the afternoon three-hour service. Since it's generally assumed here that I'm going to hell anyway, I'll say pink, with orange tips.

going there? I thought that the general assumption was that you ran the place . . . . :cool:

linda22003
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I can't aspire any higher than to be one of Shannon's acolytes.

PoliCon
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
I can't aspire any higher than to be one of Shannon's acolytes.

good point . . . . ;)

noonwitch
04-07-2009, 02:01 PM
I took Thursday and Friday off. On Thursday night, I will be greeting at church for the Tenabrae service. It's pretty much the only time we do communion at my hippie new age church. I generally don't attend Good Friday services, though, and will probably be swimming during my church's service.

On Saturday, I'll be making spanakotapita (spinach pie) for my fellow ushers and greeters to munch on between services on Sunday.

I don't believe in hell, except as something people create for themselves in this life. But regardless, if I had to burn eternally, I'd pick the blue flame at the middle. I can stick my finger in that part of a candle's flame for a second without getting burned. Also, I was always told that was the hottest part of the flame and if you're going to burn eternally, you might as well burn in the hottest spot in hell.

Gingersnap
04-07-2009, 03:29 PM
It's looking a lot like Spring finally!

TOTD: Wednesday is Mass followed later by Tenebrae. Maundy Thurday is a High Mass with footwashing, the stripping of the altars, and the Watch. Good Friday is the Stations of the Cross and the Liturgy of the Word. Holy Saturday is the Vigil. :)

I do believe in Hell although I have no specific ideas about the amenities that I'd be willing to bet the farm on. If I had to picture it, I'd say the depiction in "Constantine" is plenty good enough for me.

megimoo
04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
good point . . . . ;)She already has a place and Being one of The three Gorgon sisters of Medusa is a full time job.

And here's some music to to go with your Good Fridays remorse to contemplate your past conduct .

"It may be a good idea to go to church with Wilbur but sit on the other side way up back .That way the lightning bolt may miss you !".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARO7ZjsXSkE

Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla,
Teste David cum Sibylla.

Quantus tremor est futurus
Quando judex est venturus
Cuncta stricte discussurus

movie buff
04-08-2009, 11:14 AM
TOTD: I know it's late, but I didn't get a chance to answer it yesterday. I'll probably be attending the Good Friday afternoon service, and then of course the Easter Sunday service.

megimoo
04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
At nine in the morning Good Friday

O Sacred Head Now Wounded - Fernando Ortega
www.youtube.com/watch?v=98LcbCkhqJs

megimoo
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Holy Saturday Evening in Jerusalem at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher

Orthodox Christianity Easter(Holy light)

"The Greeks and the Armenians take their Christ very seriously !"

Holy Saturday Evening to Easter Sunday Evening is the
Same day according Ancient Jewish Reasoning. So Easter starts at midnight
Holy Saturday with the ChristLight, the Risin Christ !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1y_VrlkjMc&feature=related

The Holy Light Jerusalem 2008 -part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOJ1SW4lLgQ&NR=1

megimoo
04-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Which Brings Us To Easter Sunday

Handels - Messiah, ......Hallelujah Chorus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6H3crLzpg&feature=related

This 1741 work was written in twenty days, and Handel did not leave his house - from start to finish - until it was completed.

FlaGator
04-08-2009, 01:07 PM
And then there is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

megimoo
04-08-2009, 01:46 PM
And then there is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Is nothing sacred ?Even a fully professed atheist like our friend Wilbur would find that distasteful !

FlaGator
04-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Is nothing sacred ?Even a fully professed atheist like our friend Wilbur would find that distasteful !

I take it you are not a Monty Python fan. I believe that God has a sense of humor and that is why we who are created in his image have a sense of humor.

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 02:38 PM
lol dude - that's my ringtone. :) have you never seen the movie? It's not blasphemous - it's actually pretty favorable to Christ.

Blessed are the cheese makers!! :D

FlaGator
04-08-2009, 02:56 PM
lol dude - that's my ringtone. :) have you never seen the movie? It's not blasphemous - it's actually pretty favorable to Christ.

Blessed are the cheese makers!! :D

"All I said was 'That meal was good enough for Jehovah'!"
"Stone him! Stone him!"

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
"All I said was 'That meal was good enough for Jehovah'!"
"Stone him! Stone him!"

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.
Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!
Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!
Brian: Now, fuck off!
[silence]
Arthur: How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

megimoo
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM
I take it you are not a Monty Python fan. I believe that God has a sense of humor and that is why we who are created in his image have a sense of humor.
Monty Python If there were actually such a critter found a gold mine in poking fun at Christianity but not so much Judeism with the exception of Mell Brooks .

If they ever dared to pull something like that making a movie about Mohammed's sexing his eight year old lover they would be on the run for the rest of their lives like Salman Rushdie .To me there is nothing humorous about his Crucifixion .

It is/was a brutal and extremely painful way to die and we were the ones that deserved it not him .To mock his sacrifice especially during the season of lent seems to be,to me, very poor form !Python is funny in some of his works but leave someones beliefs out of it !The English ,some of them, are a sacrilegious lot IMHO !

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Moo - you need to watch the movie. The Life of Brian is not a criticsm of Christianity - if anything it paints Jews rather poorly.

FlaGator
04-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Blasphemy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIaORknS1Dk