PDA

View Full Version : Whatchya Readin' Wednesday (Plus Free Banana Cure.)

Gingersnap
04-08-2009, 10:13 AM
More Spring is on tap for the rest of the week. Nice weather interspersed with some off-and-on showers. As always, we can use any precip. There are 2 topics on tap for today.

TOTD1: What are you reading right now? I'm deeply engrossed in one of those awful Ann Rule books: "And Never Let Her Go". I'm ashamed to admit that I saw the Lifetime Movie of the case and was simply forced to buy the book.

TOTD2: I had this wart just below my knuckle (on the finger side) and it was driving me crazy. It was one of those hard, kind of pointy little warts. Everything I did hit that thing and caused a surprising amount of pain. I used the paint-on remover for 5 weeks. Nothing. I got it frozen twice (boy, that hurts!). Nothing. I tried the duct tape thing. Nothing.

I was just about ready to have my Doc cut it out when out of desperation, I Googled wart stuff. I found a place talking about warts being cured by covering them with a small piece of banana skin every night for a week or so.

I tried this and nothing happened. If anything, the wart got worse. After 5 days I gave up on it. Three days later, this huge piece of skin dried up and fell off of my knuckle. The wart was diminished by half and no longer hurt to the touch. A couple days later the rest of it fell off and aside from some very slight discoloration, you could not tell where it has been.

What are your wart stories or insane cures?

linda22003
04-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Reading right now: Still on my Lincoln kick. Reading a one volume life by Benjamin Thomas, which came out in the '50s. A good one volume synopsis which I'd recommend as a pocket guide to Lincoln and the Civil War.

Rebel Yell
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I just finished reading A Bold, Fresh Piece Of Humanity. While I'm not a big Bill O'Reilly fan, this was a good book. Not alot of politics involved, just stories from childhood to where he is today.

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Currenty reading: Atlas Shrugged, Sea of Fire (deathsgate cycle), Liturgy of the hours, as soon as I get a copy - the latest in the Dresden Files series - Turn Coat, and One Second After is next on my fiction list after that. I tend to read more than one book at a time . . . .

movie buff
04-08-2009, 11:15 AM
TOTD: Not counting comic books or the textbooks for my classes, I'm reading 'Why Courage Matters,' by John McCain.

FeebMaster
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Just finished the Silmarillion for the first time. Now I don't have to worry about my geek credentials being questioned.

Currently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

Rebel Yell
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Just finished the Silmarillion for the first time. Now I don't have to worry about my geek credentials being questioned.

Currently reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

A geek anarchist? Is that like French Warior, or Marine Intelligence?;):D

FlaGator
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
TOTD: John Owen "Apostasy from the Gospel" and "Systematic Theology" by Wayne Grudem. I'm planning on rereading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

noonwitch
04-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Shakespeare And Modern Culture by some critic whose name escapes me.

I recently read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. That was an excellent mystery. The title character kicks butt. She's a genius with aspberger's syndrome who has a way of getting even with evil men.

megimoo
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
More Spring is on tap for the rest of the week. Nice weather interspersed with some off-and-on showers. As always, we can use any precip. There are 2 topics on tap for today.

TOTD1: What are you reading right now? I'm deeply engrossed in one of those awful Ann Rule books: "And Never Let Her Go". I'm ashamed to admit that I saw the Lifetime Movie of the case and was simply forced to buy the book.

TOTD2: I had this wart just below my knuckle (on the finger side) and it was driving me crazy. It was one of those hard, kind of pointy little warts. Everything I did hit that thing and caused a surprising amount of pain. I used the paint-on remover for 5 weeks. Nothing. I got it frozen twice (boy, that hurts!). Nothing. I tried the duct tape thing. Nothing.

I was just about ready to have my Doc cut it out when out of desperation, I Googled wart stuff. I found a place talking about warts being cured by covering them with a small piece of banana skin every night for a week or so.

I tried this and nothing happened. If anything, the wart got worse. After 5 days I gave up on it. Three days later, this huge piece of skin dried up and fell off of my knuckle. The wart was diminished by half and no longer hurt to the touch. A couple days later the rest of it fell off and aside from some very slight discoloration, you could not tell where it has been.

What are your wart stories or insane cures?"Fasting Spit' ! When you first awaken your saliva contains some stomach acid and if you spit on/lick the wart first thing, before you drink or eat, for several days/weeks it will eventually fall apart !

megimoo
04-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I've just finished Richard Preston's Cobra Event and starting on Preston/Child Thunderhead !

stsinner
04-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Ann Coulter's Guilty..

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 02:51 PM
"Fasting Spit' ! When you first awaken your saliva contains some stomach acid and if you spit on/lick the wart first thing, before you drink or eat, for several days/weeks it will eventually fall apart !

or you'll end up with a wart on your tongue . . . .

If you can get a dog that is salivating - just having eaten or before eating is best - if you can stand the stench of their breath to lick your face when you have a herpes - it will dissipate faster.

Gingersnap
04-08-2009, 03:23 PM
or you'll end up with a wart on your tongue . . . .

If you can get a dog that is salivating - just having eaten or before eating is best - if you can stand the stench of their breath to lick your face when you have a herpes - it will dissipate faster.

You have herpes? :confused:

:D

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
You have herpes? :confused:

Did I say that? :p

Water Closet
04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Reading Alan Furst's (http://alanfurst.net/main.htm) Kingdom of Shadows...

Paris, 1938. As Europe edges toward war, Nicholas Morath, an urbane former cavalry officer, spends his days working at the small advertising agency he owns and his nights in the bohemian circles of his Argentine mistress. But Morath has been recruited by his uncle, Count Janos Polanyi, a diplomat in the Hungarian legation for operations against Hitler's Germany. It is Morath who does Polanyi's clandestine work, moving between the beach cafes of Juan-les-Pins and the forests of Ruthenia, from Czech fortresses in the Sudetenland to the private gardens of the declasse royalty in Budapest.

...Alan Furst is frequently compared with Eric Ambler, Graham Greene, and John le Carre, but Kingdom of Shadows is distinctive and entirely original.

BadCat
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
I read the Levin book (Liberty and Tyranny) on the plane last week.

Now I'm reading " Service-Oriented Modeling (SOA): Service Analysis, Design, and Architecture ".

Levin was better.

I've never had a wart Ginger. What have you been touching?

marinejcksn
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Still working to finish Atlass Shrugged (pg. 800) and I just ordered Liberty and Tyranny and The American Patriot's Almanac: Daily Readings on America.

FeebMaster
04-08-2009, 11:02 PM
A geek anarchist? Is that like French Warior, or Marine Intelligence?;):D

Too many geeks are commies. I blame all the empire building games. I'm trying to break that mold. :)

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Too many geeks are commies. I blame all the empire building games. I'm trying to break that mold. :)

neither I nor any of my geek friends are commies. :p

Gingersnap
04-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I've never had a wart Ginger. What have you been touching?

I dunno. I might have touched a liberal once accidentally. :(

PoliCon
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I dunno. I might have touched a liberal once accidentally. :(

eewwwww . . . . do they feel . . . . . squishy!?

Gingersnap
04-09-2009, 12:01 PM
eewwwww . . . . do they feel . . . . . squishy!?

I don't remember. It's probably one of those experiences that cause "repressed memories". :D

PoliCon
04-09-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't remember. It's probably one of those experiences that cause "repressed memories". :D

yea I guess that would

Rebel Yell
04-09-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm about to start on In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant. I've seen the movie, now I'll read the book.