PDA

View Full Version : Pirates hijack ship with 20 Americans onboard

Rebel Yell
04-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Pirates hijack ship with 20 Americans onboard

NAIROBI (Reuters) - Somali pirates hijacked a U.S.-flagged, Danish-owned container ship on Wednesday with 20 American crew on board in a major escalation in attacks off the lawless Horn of Africa nation, officials said.

The 17,000 ton Maersk Alabama was seized off Mogadishu far out in the Indian Ocean, but all its crew were believed to be unharmed, Andrew Mwangura, coordinator of the Mombasa-based East African Seafarers' Assistance Program, told Reuters .

Denmark's A.P. Moller-Maersk confirmed the U.S.-flagged Maersk Alabama had been attacked by pirates about 500 km (300 miles) off Somalia and was presumed hijacked. The company said it had 20 American crew on board.

In Washington, White House staff were closely monitoring the situation and assessing what steps to take.

"Our top priority is the personal safety of the crew members on board," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said.

Among the ship's cargo were 400 containers of food aid, including 232 containers belonging to the U.N.'s World Food Program that were destined for Somalia and Uganda.

In the latest wave of pirate attacks, gunmen from Somalia seized a British-owned ship on Monday after hijacking another three vessels over the weekend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53721Z20090408 (http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53721Z20090408)

I guess the White House deciding on the proper wording of the apology we must issue to the pirates.:rolleyes:

Seriously, how hard could it be to take out frickin' pirates?:mad:

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 11:48 AM
I say we level the port and deport all Somali nationals in retribution.

Speedy
04-08-2009, 11:55 AM
With THIS President?

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 11:59 AM
With THIS President?

True . . . . :( But a guy can dream can't he?

Zathras
04-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Good news...looks like the crew has retaken the ship...and have a prisoner:

American Crew Regains Control of Hijacked Ship, One Pirate in Custody

American crew members aboard a U.S.-flagged ship have regained control of the vessel hijacked by pirates off the coast of Somalia Wednesday, FOX News confirms.

Defense Department officials confirmed that one pirate is in custody. A U.S. official said the status of the other pirates is unknown but they were reported to "be in the water."

"All the crew members are trained in security detail in how to deal with piracy," Maersk CEO John Reinhart told reporters. "As merchant vessels we do not carry arms. We have ways to push back, but we do not carry arms."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513238,00.html

Rebel Yell
04-08-2009, 12:21 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090408/ap_on_re_af/piracy

Now we really will have to apologize.

stsinner
04-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Good thing they didn't wait on the President to act... They'd be in for a long wait-however long it took to get the pirates whatever they demanded....

noonwitch
04-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I say we level the port and deport all Somali nationals in retribution.

There are a lot of Somali nationals who are here legally, and fleeing the hell that is Somalia. Europe has become less friendly to them, because they are fleeing from a messed-up nation that is mostly muslim, and extreme muslim, at that. Children of both genders experience ritual genital mutilation under the name of circumcision there, too, a tribal practice that Islam hasn't exactly tried to eradicate there.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is in the US. She is a Somali national who originally obtained dutch citizenship and even became a member of dutch parliament. The dutch tried to strip her of her citizenship after she became a very vocal critic of Islam and the failure of most muslim immigrants to assimilate into dutch society. She came here to work for a think tank, I'd hate to see her deported because she was a Somali national. She has moral authority on women's issues within islamic societies, having survived that herself. If Europe won't take her warnings about allowing Sharia law to heart, maybe we will. I know I keep mentioning her, but her book really left an impression on me.

Before we level the port or ports, we need to find out if the pirates are operating openly from those ports, or if they have hiding places elsewhere along the coast. If the latter is the case, then we and/or our allies should take out those sites. The pirates have to be affecting trade from some of the neighboring countries, who are potential allies-Kenya and Tanzania, for example. Maybe this is a good time to develop strong ties to those nations.

Molon Labe
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,513238,00.html

Whoopsie daisy! I guess they usually pick on the unarmed ones. :p

SarasotaRepub
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
When this story broke I was kinda hoping this was a trap and
the crew was actually a Seal Team being lead by TimITib...:rolleyes:

But then I remembered who the president is now.

SaintLouieWoman
04-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Heard there is a warship facing down the stupid pirates. It's dark there now; here's hoping Obama doesn't force us to stand down to a few pirates in a raft (or the equivalent).

PoliCon
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Heard there is a warship facing down the stupid pirates. It's dark there now; here's hoping Obama doesn't force us to stand down to a few pirates in a raft (or the equivalent).

I would not be surprised if he did. They are muslims after all . . . . :rolleyes:

Odysseus
04-09-2009, 10:52 AM
http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/040909.jpg (http://www.daybydaycartoon.com/040909.jpg)
Chris Muir nails it.

SarasotaRepub
04-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Could someone please tell me why the Navy Seals haven't
turned these "Pirates" into fish food yet???:confused:

Zathras
04-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Could someone please tell me why the Navy Seals haven't
turned these "Pirates" into fish food yet???:confused:

The Anointed One, their boss, won't let them.

SarasotaRepub
04-10-2009, 07:21 AM
The Anointed One, their boss, won't let them.

Ahh yes, I heard as much on Fox.

So...we have an American Capt. being held by three Nigerian Prince rejects in a fucking covered lifeboat.

And this Administration says no military solution.

Hey lurking DUmmies...do you have any idea how fucking stupid this makes the US and your Great O look??? Hmmmm?? Any???

We have a fracken destroyer sitting there and are sendind an frickken Assualt Carrier too??? For 3 stupid POS with AK-47's???

Amazing...simply amazing.

SaintLouieWoman
04-10-2009, 08:46 AM
What's even more amazing is the lack of coverage. I've had both the Today Show and Fox News on this morning and so far nothing has been said. I might not have had it on long enough, but generally something like this would be blazed across all the networks. I'm hoping it's to keep our plans confidential, so some pirate isn't tuned into CNN or Fox, telling the rats on the lifeboat what's happening.

More likely, the press is just marching to the Annointed One's orders to keep it quiet so the administration don't look even weaker than they are (and that's very weak).

I doubt if the eeevil Cheney would let this go on for so long---or Bush. I hope those that voted for Obama rethink that vote. :rolleyes:

Elspeth
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Ayaan Hirsi Ali is in the US. She is a Somali national who originally obtained dutch citizenship and even became a member of dutch parliament. The dutch tried to strip her of her citizenship after she became a very vocal critic of Islam and the failure of most muslim immigrants to assimilate into dutch society. She came here to work for a think tank, I'd hate to see her deported because she was a Somali national. She has moral authority on women's issues within islamic societies, having survived that herself. If Europe won't take her warnings about allowing Sharia law to heart, maybe we will. I know I keep mentioning her, but her book really left an impression on me.

Thanks for mentioning her! As a nation, we should listen to this woman and the Dutch were stupid not to. Europe now has pockets of Sharia law: the price they pay for political correctness (or for Middle Eastern oil?)
At any rate, they were fools not to listen.

JB
04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Can anyone tell me why Barry has not said one word about this publicly? Anyone? Bueller?

/rhetorical

PoliCon
04-11-2009, 01:52 AM
What I don't get is why TPTB feel the need to send so many naval warships after a lifeboat. Do they realize how weak and ineffectual this makes us look??? Or is that the point?

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Good news/Bad news (http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/04/11/somalia.u.s.ship/index.html)

Pirates seeking hijacked lifeboat turn back

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Pirates holding a German cargo ship returned to port Saturday after failing to reach a lifeboat containing four pirates and their American hostage, a local journalist told CNN.

That's the good news.

The U.S. Navy -- which is in charge of the situation -- requested help from the FBI to resolve the standoff.

That's the bad. :rolleyes:

JHC...WTF is wrong with the current morons in DC??? The fracken FBI??? We don't need any G-Men, this could be solved in 10 minutes by a SEAL Team.

THIS is how President Obama handles a fairly minor hostage crisis???

And when you look at the CNN story, the idiots couldn't even put the right names under the pics of the additional ships going to this. Good job there CNN. :rolleyes:

Zathras
04-11-2009, 01:31 PM
And when you look at the CNN story, the idiots couldn't even put the right names under the pics of the additional ships going to this. Good job there CNN. :rolleyes:

The only picture of the ships going to scene in the link is one of USS Halyburton (FFG-40). That is the correct name of the ship. CNN gets a lot of things wrong but this isn't one of them. One thing the news media did get wrong was incorrectly identifying USS Bainbridge as a nuclear powered cruiser. That ship was active back in the 70's when I served and was scrapped back in 99. The current USS Bainbridge (DDG-96) is a conventionally powered Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer.

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2009, 01:40 PM
The only picture of the ships going to scene in the link is one of USS Halyburton (FFG-40). That is the correct name of the ship. CNN gets a lot of things wrong but this isn't one of them. One thing the news media did get wrong was incorrectly identifying USS Bainbridge as a nuclear powered cruiser. That ship was active back in the 70's when I served and was scrapped back in 99. The current USS Bainbridge (DDG-96) is a conventionally powered Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyer.

They have corrected it. Trust me, it was wrong before.

PoliCon
04-11-2009, 08:59 PM
THIS is how President Obama handles a fairly minor hostage crisis???We're back to dealing with acts of war as crimes. :rolleyes:

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2009, 09:37 PM
We're back to dealing with acts of war as crimes. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't go that far, these bozos probably have trouble finding port.

This just isn't that hard a situation to handle, Special Forces can do this in their sleep.